TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 61 Mango is home Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
DownRiver Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 am

Sounds like a fun trip with the family Stan.
Nice to see the Mango getting put through its paces.

That Westy tent shot is Bad Ass! I can only imagine someone in the know driving past and freaking out about your Mango and the Big Top tent city.

Very Cool.

Stanagon Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:15 am

I think some campers think the Westy tents look like circus tents. At least our neighbor in a Vanagon did. He was cool though and we spent some time talking V-dubs. I also did a quick fix on his sliding door interior panel that was hanging up on the latch striker when he opened the door.

Below is my buddy Jim's bus which was right next to our site. So between two sites we had 3 big tops, 1 bay window tent and 2 split buses. Wish I was still there....

Note-
We like to use small tarps over the tops of the nice big top tents. This is just to keep pine sap and bird droppings off the tent roofs. The tents themselves are usually very water-proof.

StockNazi Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 am

Stanagon wrote: j.pickens wrote: Stanagon wrote:

I do have the fuel reserve knob, but no manual choke knob.

That's what I was getting at, your bus has a very short production item there.
Fuel reserve with no manual choke.
Do you have the choke guide tube running under the bus?
Could you post a photo of the seat base around the heater knob and fuel reserve?

Thanks,
J.

Fuel reserve knob, but no manual choke.

Underneath right center looking forward.
Fuel tap cable (black) and additional wire (brown) are wrapped around the right side heater box control cable tube at left. Right side parking brake cable tube seen at right. No choke control cable tube present.

been meaning to add a pic to this thread for sometime now

jan. 61 fuel reserve/heater control setup

j.pickens Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:16 pm

That is very cool.
And a walkthru, no less.
Thanks for posting.

Stanagon Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Well the '61 Mango has seen limited duty this year.

Early in the Spring it helped with moving duties into my new shop.

But this year I drove my '65 panel around more frequently as the center pin on the '61 Mango was tight and creaking. I finally got the pin freed up with some forceful greasing, and a little help from the old 'flame wrench'.

Last month the '61 was due up for it's annual inspection, so I took it over to the new garage I've been using for inspections. They wouldn't even let it in the bay due to the numerous issues having to do with body rust and protruding sharp edges (front bumper supports were hacked off leaving rough edges). I was not surprised that it would not pass at this station, but was amused when the mechanics all came out to look at it in more detail :)

So I drove it deep into my old stomping grounds of Somerville, MA. This is a much more urban area with different standards on body condition. It still had to pass the safety tests, and initially failed due to no brake lights. I got those working with a new power supply wire run to the switch, and drove it in again for an inspection. It passed, but the battery wasn't charging so I had to leave it running the whole trip. Here it is at the inspection station.

On the way back I stalled it at a busy intersection and had to hop out and push start it. This was tough and I almost fell trying to hop in the bus after getting it rolling, barely. But it was enough to get it started and get back to my shop. I still need to fully diagnose the non-charging issue, but it's on the list for this winter.

orangebug60guy Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 pm

This was the last year my old shop back in western mass would let me slip by with all my rust. Said next year they wanted to see some body improvements! Damn mass state inspection. Getting a new rear corner put on this winter and some engine upgrades as well! I'll call you stan is i need any parts.

Stanagon Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Better get on it, you wouldn't want that slider door to fall off while you are rollin' down the road.

orangebug60guy Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 pm

its the butt end i'm worried about, that slider is solid!

Stanagon Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Had a few days of shop time to do some de-rusting on the '61 Mango.

Finished cutting out the driver's side rocker.

Lots of pieces in here to replace, but overall not too bad.

Rear area of driver's wheel well, and likely the reason for a lot of the rocker rust.

Stanagon Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 pm

I revived the '61 Mango a few weekends ago for an all makes show in the town next to me.

Daughter Madelyn having fun in the bus.

She did a great job entertaining people and giving tours of the bus to other kids.

Yes, those bullet holes are the real thing.

Look for the '61 Mango at this year's Transporterfest on 10/10/10.

Glenn A Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Stanagon wrote: I revived the '61 Mango a few weekends ago for an all makes show in the town next to me.

Daughter Madelyn having fun in the bus.

Way to go Stan. Bus looks sweet. Madelyn looks like she had a blast. I did a very small "all makes show" last summer. All the other cars had the windows rolled up and the doors locked. This is how I rolled up bikes boats coolers! My kids where giving tours of the bus to all the visitors. 8) 8) .

Stanagon Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Looks like you were giving out free food to the ladies too. Nice move.

I love it when kids find out they are allowed to climb in the bus and check it out. Watch the rusty rockers though;)

Stanagon Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:10 am

The '61 made it to the 25th annual Transporterfest. Ended up doing 144 miles cruising around to the various weekend events before and after the show. Great time and the new KYB GR2 shocks in the front really help the ride.

Cruising around with '65 DD panel in Leominster, MA the night before the show.

At the show on Sunday.

Stanagon Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm

All makes show in downtown Marlborough, MA today. Weather was superb and we had a great time meeting new car people. I even got a solid lead on some old buses parked out in a field...

The Sunbeam Alpine next to me got a trophy for Best Modified Import. I was just glad they let me in the show ;)

View from inside the bus.

Having a good time with my 5-year old daughter.

RPGreg2600 Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 pm

The bus looks great, glad you got rid of that hideous bra.

bill may Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 am

done anymore work on this bus?

Stanagon Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:05 pm

bill may wrote: done anymore work on this bus?

I put new front (KYB GR2s) and rear (KYB gas) shocks on this year. They really help the ride quality. I've been messing with various main jets, but think I settled on a good one. Also mounted a front splash pan before taking it on the NJ Pine Barrens bus trailbash.

The battery doesn't charge, so I've been swapping fresh 6V batteries as needed until I find some time to figure out the charging issue. This hasn't kept me from putting 3300 miles on it this season.

Here's my annual mileage since I got the '61 on the road in May of 2007.
2007: 1199
2008: 4551
2009: 444
2010: 473
2011: 3300 and counting ...

obus Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Nice! :wink:

Stanagon Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 pm

And here are shots of the '61 at various events this year.

Litchfield, CT vending, June 2011.

At Uzi's pre-trailbash party, August 2011

Trailbashing, August 2011

NYC Traffic Jam, August 2011

Impromptu model shoot at NYC Traffic Jam event

Terryville, CT in the rain, August 2011

Camping on the Cape, August 2011

And just last weekend at the Transporterfest in Brookline, MA

Stanagon Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Fun with the '61 Mango in 2012.

Englishtown, NJ, April 15, after swapping all day and then pulling down to the show car area later.

BSVWOC spring dust off cruise, Plymouth, MA May 19, 2012.

Litchfield, CT Bug In, June 15 at the Harwinton fairgrounds. Later in the day, again after swapping and parking in the show area.

Chuck Gould's mini/microcar weekend, Newton, Hudson and Mt. Wachusett, MA, July 13-15.

Trailbashing in NJ, July 27-29

No, I didn't get stuck, or kill the motor, but had a blast!

Volks-vair-fair, Heberts Candy mansion, Shrewsbury, MA Aug. 4

Vacationland VW club show, Acton, Maine, Aug 5

Terryville, CT Bug-a-fair, August 12.

Cape Cod, MA, August 17

Lime Rock, CT vintage race weekend, Sept. 1-3

All Air-cooled Gathering, Flanders, NJ Sept. 15-16, with the broken VW parts travel game.

Transporterfest, Brookline, MA Oct. 7

Canterbury Shaker village, NH antique car show, Oct. 20.

Travel notes:
5267 miles, March 14 through November 6, 2012.
3 trips to New Jersey, I trip to Maine, 1 trip to NH
287.09 gallons of gas
18.3 mpg average

Service notes:
replace generator 3/14/12
replace horn 5/20/12
replace fuel tank to engine line 6/15/12
replace right side mirror, fan belt and install battery hold down strap 7/27/12
replace front flex brake lines and right side front metal line 7/31/12
replace distributor with 009, replace battery 8/4/12
replace batt. ground strap 8/10/12
replace voltage regulator 8/25/12