TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 61 Mango is home Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Stanagon Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:37 am

UZI wrote: langsmer wrote: Bias-plys are poop. They stoped making them for a reason! :)

really? when did they stop making bias plys?

stan, congrats on the new bambeen!

The '61 is rollin' bias plys. Pushed around by the OG 40-horse.

New bambeen is doing well and inspiring me to get this beast on the road in '06. Progress continues:

Campy Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:08 pm

When looking at the photograph, I noticed that the mudflap for the right wheel well is missing. Also, make sure that you remove the packing primer from the battery tray and treat the bare metal with something like metalprep before painting it. I put galvaprep on the bare metal after metalprep. It makes the sheet metal somewhat corrosion resistant, which is really needed on a battery tray.

Stanagon Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:49 pm

The mudflap is there now. It is part of the turkis clip.

Thanks for the suggestion re. packing primer on the battery tray.

jeremyrockjock Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:53 pm

Congrats on the baby Stan. The bus is looking good. I agree on the bit with the paint on the tray. I painted over some of it on my rocker and it all peeled off. That stuff is junk. Sandblast it and POR it or something. ALso if you really cared about the VIN in the sheetmetal. You could stamp the correct number in a new peice of metal and weld it in. If done right you can make it look unmolested. Just an idea.

Stanagon Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm

I got the front cab seatstand area cleaned up, rust morted and did some touch up paint on the doglegs. I also installed my 'mangorug' seat cover. This will do until I can afford a nice new carmel seat cover for the humpback front bench.

BryanM Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:32 pm

the bus looks great Stan.

langsmer Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:13 pm

UZI wrote: langsmer wrote: Bias-plys are poop. They stoped making them for a reason!

really? when did they stop making bias plys?

stan, congrats on the new bambeen!

Hmm, looks like I spoke to soon! :oops:

Stanagon Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

Made some more progress on the '61 Mango last night. jmp got our friend George to come over and do some welding for me. Here's George in action:

Now it's time for some grinding:

jeremyrockjock Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:07 am

I hope george is either blind or using a hand held sheild. :lol:

Rick Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:14 am

george is hardcore. The evolution of master welder who can look directly at the arc with no adverse affects.

KombiMonster Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:37 am

He's using something...there's a red glow on him....hey Stanagon..you can get new caramel material???

Braukuche Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:16 pm

You can tell he's been doing it for a long time as the skin on his gloveless hands have morphed into asbestos :wink:
--Dan

Stanagon Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:30 pm

George is no apprentice, he's using the force, he's a metalmaster. =P~

The orange glow is from my orange plastic worklight.

I know Lenny can stitch up a close match to Carmel. I've not seen it in person, pix look good though. A front bench is about $350.

obus Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:44 pm

Stanagon says " George is my friend!" I forget what cartoon that phrase is from but it looks like he is hooking ya up. way cool.

Lind Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:23 pm

Stanagon wrote: George is no apprentice, he's using the force, he's a metalmaster. =P~

The orange glow is from my orange plastic worklight.
he really should wear some goggles also. one errant spark can really mess up your eye.

[email protected] Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:36 pm

George was'nt welding just cleaning out his mig on Stanagon bus.
When He atacks my 52 that will be welding

magic23deluxe Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:40 pm

the perception of welding on the mango is not valid there has to be metal to weld to, iron oxide really is only weldable after a lot of alchemy. and yea blind as a bat sam I am. don`t like those green eggs and ham!

magic23deluxe Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 pm

what Stan needs to do is buy a bunch of 1 inch plywood and build a box about four feet high around the bus then reinforce it with 4x4s next he has to line the double line the box with heavy plastic, next fill the box with water then pour all the lye he can acquire into the water . (the next part is where it gets dangerous) then add a couple of large stainless electrodes to the water. put a negative battery jumper cable to the stainless and then the positive to the mango. next pump as much dc into the jumper cables as he can afford for about a week. then simply drain the mixture of rust lye and water off and see whats left of the bus.

with any luck there will be something to start over the entire process with after he flips the mango onto its roof and repeats the above.

Stanagon Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:15 pm

George,

Hopefully the Mango will be mobile the next time I need welding and I can bring it out to you.

I'm sure your neighbors won't mind an acid bath swimming pool;)

You gonna get that deluxe rolling again this summer? It's always fun to see more split buses getting back on the road.

magic23deluxe Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:58 pm

the 23 rolls and drives just fine I`m just not too crasy about driving it all over the place, maybe this year it`ll turn red an beige like it supposta be?
my personal choice was for it to be all white with blueish flames coming forwards starting at the back. I`ve still got to finish the custom interior also, as I haven`t found a full width camperseat old style for the back yet. and I`m still debating whether to install the stove sink and fridge out a vanagon. The good news is the the 81 is running fine again as the valves were not burnt just had a lifter problem. the lye is a base bath not acid. It also works with less caustic stuff like baking soda and washing soda. I have a tank for smaller parts, with baking soda its hard to hurt yourself playing with small pieces that are rotted badly. most badly pitted rot takes only a few hours to remove http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH