TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If I need to pump the gas?
Joe Gansevles Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering what some problems could be if I need to pump the gas on my Westy, now I have only need to do this to start it the last couple of times I started it but what could it be? It is a 1985 gasser manual.

Randy in Maine Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:05 am

Does this thing have a cold start valve and a thermotime gizmo?

I am not really sure how the wbxs are set up but there has to be a way in adding more fuel into it when trying to start it cold. I would do the Bentley testing procedure on that system to see "what gives". Could also be that your fuel pump/pressure system is not retaining the minimal fuel pressure it needs to get you started.

buspor63 Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:27 am

My theory, The WBX does not have a "fifth injector". Temp sensor II tells the brain to lengthen the injection pulses = richer The auxilliary air regulator allows for air to bypass the throttle plate and run at a higher idle without opening the throttle. Pumping the throttle is just a trick used to strike it lucky with the fuel/air mixture to complete combustion. Depending on if you need to pump vigorously or just crack the throttle, you could get by with a change to TS-II. That would richen it up(like a choke) to cold start if the original was defective= gone lean. Most of mine have failed the other way, gone rich. Cold start great, wont hot start. The other possibillty is the AAR. If iy stays closed(warm run) it wont allow for extra air to enter during cold start when it needs to be open.

Thats my theory, I could be wrong, i'm just a grocery clerk.

mightyart Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:43 am

When was the last time you had a basic tune-up, checked the timing?

Joe Gansevles Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:21 am

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I am glad I posted this thread because it made the Westy behave? It fired up the way it should! I don't know? Thanks again. Joe