TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '67 Bus M/C Question
60freak Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:47 pm

Bug-o-rama is coming up and trying to help a buddy get his brakes going on his '67 deluxe bus before the show this weekend. IIRC, there was a conversion plate or something similar to convert the '67 only d/c bus m/c to a later model bug or bay bus m/c that is much cheaper.

Trying to help a buddy replace his M/C on his '67 deluxe, and trying to go the "cheap" route if possible. Not for sure, but I remember someone telling me all you basically do is stick a d/c bug m/c in it? Does this sound right?

FWIW--d/c=dual circuit..........m/c=mastercylinder :wink:

C/N--need to replace '67 bus mastercylinder with a cheaper m/c than the "required" '67 only m/c that costs $90 bucks!

Thanks!

DaveM Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:50 pm

I usually don't try and go the cheap route when I work on brakes....

good luck.

busracer Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:50 pm

let me know where i can get a 67 only mc for only 90 bucks. ill take two!

marklaken Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:56 pm

goto:

http://type2.com/

and look up eric and barb's article on master cylinder swapping in the library link...

60freak Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:59 pm

Cool, thanks!

BTW--B.A.P. Import Parts in Phoenix has 'em for $90 bucks..602-866-8950. 8)

krusher Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:59 pm

NO!!! :shock:

A bug master cylinder has a differant bore size, thats why its for a BUG :roll:

FBIVW Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:12 pm

If you don't want to spend the extra pennies on the correct part you could revert to 66 and earlier spec by simply fiting a single circuit setup. You will have to make up new metal brake pipe to the front brakes as on the 67 setup the master cylinder has 1 pipe coming off for the front and one to the rear which in turn go into T fittings front and back to do each side.

The single circuit system has 3 pipes coming out of the master cylinder. One for each side front and ond to the rear. If you have a brake pipe flaring kit this can be cheaper and works fine as the 67 wheel cylinders etc are the same as the 66 down ones.

However you will need to:
1: make up new front metal brake pipes.
2: buy a single circuit master cylinder.
3: buy a single circuit master cylinder fluid reservoir (67 is a one year one and doesn't fit).
4: possibly buy a brake flaring kit for making up the front brake pipes.

All said the $90 is starting to seem reasonable. Although if you already have a bottle and brake tools you can probably save $50 ish.

Surely a man who has a deluxe bus is a man who can fork out the $90 to make it stop. :wink:

60freak Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:49 pm

"Surely a man who has a deluxe bus is a man who can fork out the $90 to make it stop. "

:lol: I totally agree with that statement! But he did buy it back in 1969-1970, somewhere around then for 500 bucks I think....so I'm not so sure he's loaded with $$ right now!

Yeah, I'm thinking that the $90 is worth it too. I would never switch a dual circuit sytem to single on any bus....possible yes, but no way would I do it to save any amount of $$, having at least 2 wheel cylinders working when crap hits the fan is better than NONE! :wink:

Thanks for the input! 8)

krusher Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:49 am

splitsecond wrote: Cool, thanks!

What they have a CORRECT 67 bus master, or a wrong BUG one for $90.

What price does a master cylinder sleave and rebuild run for in the states?

Downtown Brown Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:38 am

krusher wrote: splitsecond wrote: Cool, thanks!

What they have a CORRECT 67 bus master, or a wrong BUG one for $90.

The 67 were NLA for a LONG time ate repros them now. It's been a few years but the cheapest I found was from Ronnie at OLD Volks Home like $200ish. 211611011Q(off box I did not look it up) Lloyd

Enkiel Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:52 am

splitsecond wrote: Yeah, I'm thinking that the $90 is worth it too. I would never switch a dual circuit sytem to single on any bus....possible yes, but no way would I do it to save any amount of $$, having at least 2 wheel cylinders working when crap hits the fan is better than NONE! :wink:

Thanks for the input! 8)

wouldnt like to see the result if only one wheel brake tho...

but must be better than smashing in whatever is in front of you

EvilBus Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:12 am

CIP1 sells an adapter kit that allows you to use the later bus master cylinder in the 67-down busses. The type2.com info is great as well for this.

60freak Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:02 am

Krusher, not sure if it the correct one, I just called BAP and asked them if they carry a '67 bus m/c, they said "yep it is 89.xx". So I would hope that it is the right one and not a bug one. :?

Evilbus--Thanks! I knew there was a plate available, my buddies '67 westy has it on it's m/c, but he does not know anything about it. Thanks again.....heading to 'ol CIP1 now. :)

P-Dub Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:29 am

Here is a photo of a bay mc with the Wolfgang adaptor in my '67.

busracer Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 am

Quote: BTW--B.A.P. Import Parts in Phoenix has 'em for $90 bucks..602-866-8950

this is false information.[/code]

EvilBus Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:58 pm

busracer wrote: Quote: BTW--B.A.P. Import Parts in Phoenix has 'em for $90 bucks..602-866-8950

this is false information.[/code]

I agree, could it be a rebuilt?

60freak Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:20 pm

uhhhh, not sure now. I just called them again to confirm avail & price......now they say they don't carry them. :?

I called like 2 weeks ago before I even posted this thread and the kid/guy said yeah we have 'em for 90 bucks rebuilt or 200 and some change for a new one. Arrgh, I think the first kid to give me the info was either high, looking at the bug ones, or just didn't know crap.

Sorry for the mis-guided info. :oops:

dstefun Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:15 am

Prior thread has AutoZone selling 72+ bay m/c's as 67's .... and Napa evidently sells 68's as 67's....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100430