TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Its good to drive a deluxe Page: 1, 2  Next
Bill-E-BoB Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:16 am

So theres this song, you've probably never heard it unless you're from the Olympic Penninsula in north Washington or know someone who is, but its called "Daisy" & its about the singer's '66 21 window. Theres this line in that song that goes "When the golden rays of the setting sun reflected off the emblem bright as day onto an overpass just below the rails, lighting up 'I love you daisy' painted by an upside down romantic..."

Todays weather is 75 degrees & clear skies, so I figured its the perfect day to drive my bus into work...its the first time I ever actually saw the light reflect off my emblem like he described in the song. It was cool, casting this dancing little light beam on everything I drove past. Just another reminder I guess, its good to drive a bus. :)

rusbus Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:35 am

I used to get that "chrome emblem spotlight" shining all over bridges and stuff all the time when I had a deluxe. Painted the emblem, and put it on my panel, and saw it no more.

Flipseat Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:14 am

I see a reflection/glare bouncing off of highway signs when I drive down the road in my westy. I figured it was my round side mirrors, chrome headlight rings, or a glare off the windshields? :? So, its good to drive a westy too! :lol:

EverettB Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 am

Time to buy a Deluxe!

I don't like the Deluxe ash tray in my Kombi, the chrome seems to reflect the sun into my eyes a lot.

vwjosh6070 Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:20 am

Bill, if you would ever burn that darn cd for me i could listen to it!!!

i daily drive Rita. its great. i see little kids and older adults smiling and waving at me all of the time, its a great feeling. i wash her off every day too. pollon is bad!

davebuckholts Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:25 am

I drive the speedster about once a week to work if it's nice. Drove it today. Had a student ask me if I thought the truck was a students..............Told her it was mine and she said it figures?!!!

Rain's Westy Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:25 am

Bill-E-BoB wrote: So theres this song, you've probably never heard it unless you're from the Olympic Penninsula in north Washington or know someone who is, but its called "Daisy" & its about the singer's '66 21 window. Theres this line in that song that goes "When the golden rays of the setting sun reflected off the emblem bright as day onto an overpass just below the rails, lighting up 'I love you daisy' painted by an upside down romantic..."

Todays weather is 75 degrees & clear skies, so I figured its the perfect day to drive my bus into work...its the first time I ever actually saw the light reflect off my emblem like he described in the song. It was cool, casting this dancing little light beam on everything I drove past. Just another reminder I guess, its good to drive a bus. :)

I have the CD . The band is called" Toung and Groove". They were from Port Tounsend, Washington.(I Think) There is another song on the cd about picking up a girl who is hitch hiking (obvously on Dead tour) ... In the song the singer talks about getting it on with the girl but thinking to himself that he is more in love with his bus then the woman... They were a fun band I saw them a bunch of times.... But sadly they broke up two years ago. If you like Dead influanced music they are pretty cool. Good roadtrip music .

I often play there CD when I am on long trips in my 66 westy ....and friends love it!... And yes that undescribable sight of reflections off overpasses ...
makes me think of summer. and fun things to come! I pitty thoes poor shmoes who fly past me in there suv's with the kids zonked out like zombies on ridilin and tv in the back...
they are missing somthing ....

Mike

vwjosh6070 Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:30 am

Bill, I think is good friends with the band. i didnt know they broke up. the only thing i dont like about the band is, at one of their concerts they called the bus a V-A-N. [-X #-o :roll: :-& :!:

Scotts 63 23 Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:45 pm

EverettB wrote:

Quote: Time to buy a Deluxe!

I don't like the Deluxe ash tray in my Kombi, the chrome seems to reflect the sun into my eyes a lot.

Ev,

You need to stop throwing all those cigar butts out the window and stuff them in your ash tray. That way the lid will be jammed open and the reflection will be gone...

Scott

Bill-E-BoB Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:16 pm

Yeah, they're friends of mine. Thats awsome that someone else has actually heard of 'em, Mike. They're from Port Angeles actually...and they recently did a small Tongue & Groove reunion but the band pretty much doesn't exist anymore. Now Kim & Jason (the singers & guitars) are recording their own stuff together...this really cool cross between hippy-folk & bluegrass.

Oh & Josh, hey didn't call a splitty a van in that concert cd I have, he called a fat chick a van. Thats not so bad. He said something along the lines of "See, on these old VW busses the windows don't roll down, they slide open. And it was like that up until '67, when they went over the style of the VW van most of you know." or somethin' like that. You can call a fat chick anything you want. hehe

If I can figure out somewhere to upload MP3's I'll post that song, you guys would love it...and anyone who wants a CD can PM me and I'll ask them how they're sellin' 'em right now.

EverettB Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:00 pm

Scott's '63 23 wrote: EverettB wrote:

Quote: Time to buy a Deluxe!

Ev,

You need to stop throwing all those cigar butts out the window and stuff them in your ash tray. That way the lid will be jammed open and the reflection will be gone...

Scott
Smoking is played out. My ash tray needs to be closed and empty. The parcel tray is where all the junk goes

vwspijlbus Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:04 am

Quote: The parcel tray is where all the junk goes
That's for sure!

:bus_blue:

jerry.t Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:15 am

was driving back home from kansas last week and noticed that also, though i dont have any chrome on the front, i do have cut green glass
for windshields, and figure that is the only thing that could be reflecting
like that, was estimating it to be reflecting atleast 1/2 miles down the road
and farther at times. good thing i wasnt the ones having to drive towards
me ......

Scotts 63 23 Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:23 am

jerry.t wrote

Quote: was driving back home from kansas last week and noticed that also, though i dont have any chrome on the front, i do have cut green glass
me ......

I was driving on highway 395 in a 58 panel up near Carson City, Nevada in 1969. I had just joined the Marine Corps and was taking my last vacation with my best friend, heading towards Pendleton, Oregon, when we were blinded by a 60's Cadillac coming the opposite way. It was completely chromed from bumper to bumper.

jerry.t Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:08 am

Scott's '63 23 wrote: jerry.t wrote

Quote: was driving back home from kansas last week and noticed that also, though i dont have any chrome on the front, i do have cut green glass
me ......

I was driving on highway 395 in a 58 panel up near Carson City, Nevada in 1969. I had just joined the Marine Corps and was taking my last vacation with my best friend, heading towards Pendleton, Oregon, when we were blinded by a 60's Cadillac coming the opposite way. It was completely chromed from bumper to bumper.

kinda makes you wonder why chrome is still legal to run on a large area
cant think of how many time i have been bleinded by chrome......

mynameismud Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:18 am

Bill-E-BoB wrote: Yeah, they're friends of mine. Thats awsome that someone else has actually heard of 'em, Mike. They're from Port Angeles actually...and they recently did a small Tongue & Groove reunion but the band pretty much doesn't exist anymore. Now Kim & Jason (the singers & guitars) are recording their own stuff together...this really cool cross between hippy-folk & bluegrass.

Oh & Josh, hey didn't call a splitty a van in that concert cd I have, he called a fat chick a van. Thats not so bad. He said something along the lines of "See, on these old VW busses the windows don't roll down, they slide open. And it was like that up until '67, when they went over the style of the VW van most of you know." or somethin' like that. You can call a fat chick anything you want. hehe

If I can figure out somewhere to upload MP3's I'll post that song, you guys would love it...and anyone who wants a CD can PM me and I'll ask them how they're sellin' 'em right now.

hmmm i grew up in P.A. and never heard of them- I left in '86

ScrapJunkie Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:44 am

I'd like to hear that song. If anyone has the capability, post it up. :D

Bill-E-BoB Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:22 am

mynameismud wrote: Bill-E-BoB wrote: Yeah, they're friends of mine. Thats awsome that someone else has actually heard of 'em, Mike. They're from Port Angeles actually...and they recently did a small Tongue & Groove reunion but the band pretty much doesn't exist anymore. Now Kim & Jason (the singers & guitars) are recording their own stuff together...this really cool cross between hippy-folk & bluegrass.

hmmm i grew up in P.A. and never heard of them- I left in '86

U left too early. They lived here in Marietta, GA until like the mid-90's. I don't think the actual band formed until like 99 or so.

mynameismud Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:33 am

that makes sense..nope. i left right in time- PA turned into a stopping point to take a shit about 88 since the city council thought it was wise to not let corporations in and depend on tourism and logging, as if that paid off for the city... :roll:

Bill-E-BoB Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:39 pm

If I were independently wealthy, PA Is where I would live...its such an awsome little corner of the world as long as you don't mind having absolutely no money. The only jobs available there are restaurant workers. I've even thought about getting a job across the sound in Victoria and living in PA though. Its a more peaceful & relaxed world. Oh & I'd have to get married before moving there, because I think I already know all 10 single women under 40 in PA. :)