TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus Restoration Questions?
MConstable Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 pm

Hey all, Planning the work on my D-Cab, and need some advice...
I'm gonna start with the bodywork, doesn't need a lot.
Questions...
Can you recommend any websites, books, etc. for things like...
Such as, I don't know if my bus is supposed to have a rear-view.
There are some errant screw-holes that I don't know should be there.
Back gate has 2 sets of holes for the rubber bumpers, don't know which are correct.
Wanna make sure window hinges are correct.
ETC.
Thanks for any help.
Also, I'm in the Pomona CA area for a couple of months, any must-see VW shops?
Thanks... Michael

joe56vw Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:28 pm

if your in ca go to wolfburg west and ask those ?

they can turn you in the right way

coolerthanelvis Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:31 pm

Check out www.dropgates.com and click on the Restoration tab on the left. Lots of good info that is truck-specific and is not covered in much depth on other sites.

DopeBeatDerrick Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:17 pm

Check out WCCR in Fullerton when you're in Cali. If you're unsure whether or not something is supposed to be there, Lenny can point it out. As for checking out Wolfsburg West, WCM, etc. to answer your questions, you'd be wasting your time. These guys hawk parts and don't even drive VW's. I reccomend a good book from Lawrence Merideth for some crispy pics. Good Luck!

Yustrn Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:53 pm

DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Check out WCCR in Fullerton when you're in Cali. If you're unsure whether or not something is supposed to be there, Lenny can point it out. As for checking out Wolfsburg West, WCM, etc. to answer your questions, you'd be wasting your time. These guys hawk parts and don't even drive VW's. I reccomend a good book from Lawrence Merideth for some crispy pics. Good Luck!

So let me get this straight, since they don't drive VW's you don't think Tony Moore (the king of repop bus parts) or Lorenzo Pearson (the rubber man) couldn't tell you, the answers to these questions??
I'm not trying to rock your boat, but you need to think about who your talking about there.......

You drive VW's why don't you answer the questions?

Here they are again

A. I don't know if my bus is supposed to have a rear-view.
B. There are some errant screw-holes that I don't know should be there.
C. Back gate has 2 sets of holes for the rubber bumpers, don't know which are correct.
D. Wanna make sure window hinges are correct.

DopeBeatDerrick Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:11 pm

Yustrn wrote: DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Check out WCCR in Fullerton when you're in Cali. If you're unsure whether or not something is supposed to be there, Lenny can point it out. As for checking out Wolfsburg West, WCM, etc. to answer your questions, you'd be wasting your time. These guys hawk parts and don't even drive VW's. I reccomend a good book from Lawrence Merideth for some crispy pics. Good Luck!

So let me get this straight, since they don't drive VW's you don't think Tony Moore (the king of repop bus parts) or Lorenzo Pearson (the rubber man) couldn't tell you, the answers to these questions??
I'm not trying to rock your boat, but you need to think about who your talking about there.......

Here they are again

C. Back gate has 2 sets of holes for the rubber bumpers, don't know which are correct.

Walk into those places of business and you won't talk to those people. Visit a working shop and you will probably have better luck. I know some of the other guru's love answering these questions, so I'll let them. You're right though, I guess I could have been a bit more helpful.

A. No, unless you want one.
B. I don't know, probably not.
C. I don't know, maybe use my suggestion about books, or check the gallery
D. I don't know.

Basicly, insufficiant information. Don't have time to dig up all the answers for the guy, but popped in to give some quick advice. Good luck.

Yustrn Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:21 pm

DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Yustrn wrote: DopeBeatDerrick wrote: Check out WCCR in Fullerton when you're in Cali. If you're unsure whether or not something is supposed to be there, Lenny can point it out. As for checking out Wolfsburg West, WCM, etc. to answer your questions, you'd be wasting your time. These guys hawk parts and don't even drive VW's. I reccomend a good book from Lawrence Merideth for some crispy pics. Good Luck!

Here they are again

Walk into those places of business and you won't talk to those people. Visit a working shop and you will probably have better luck. I know some of the other guru's love answering these questions, so I'll let them. You're right though, I guess I could have been a bit more helpful.

A. No, unless you want one.
B. I don't know, probably not.
C. I don't know, maybe use my suggestion about books, or check the gallery
D. I don't know.

Basicly, insufficiant information. Don't have time to dig up all the answers for the guy, but popped in to give some quick advice. Good luck.

Interesting, everytime I go to Wolfsburg West Tony is there behind the counter working, even sold me the parts I was after last time I was there, but since all I see at your shop are EMPI blister packs guess you wouldn't know that.

A "Working shop" you work at one, but I don't see you coming up with the answers, isn't that ODD?

EvilBus Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:19 pm

MConstable wrote: Hey all, Planning the work on my D-Cab, and need some advice...
I'm gonna start with the bodywork, doesn't need a lot.
Questions...
Can you recommend any websites, books, etc. for things like...
Such as, I don't know if my bus is supposed to have a rear-view.
There are some errant screw-holes that I don't know should be there.
Back gate has 2 sets of holes for the rubber bumpers, don't know which are correct.
Wanna make sure window hinges are correct.
ETC.
Thanks for any help.
Thanks... Michael

Up until the mid 60s, the rear view miror (inside) was an option from what I've been told and owned. I have had a 66 (had one), a 63 (doesn't have one, no holes but has a nice Chevy Unit) and a 64 (didn't have one, no holes)

Can you describe where the errant holes are?

As for the bumpers, you can get these from BFYObsolete, WOlfsburg west and West Coast Metric, the rear bumpers have a hole in the middle for the screw. West Coast Metric has an online catalog and can send you one in the mail. They also give them away at shows all of the time. Wolfsburg West and BFYObsolete also have excellent online catalogs.

The window hinges will be the same flat style that all bus popouts had, however the popout windows are different sizes. There are numerous photos in the gallery of the hinge.

campingbox Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:11 am

MConstable wrote:
Thanks... Michael

Check out the Pomona swap meet this weekend.....you might see some decent original dc's to compare yours to.
There is the Spring Meet in Corona next weekend as well.

EvilBus Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:15 am

I also forgot to mention dropgates.com which has a lot of information on VW single double cab trucks.

MConstable Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:26 am

As always...you guys rock!
Thanks for the advice.
As far as errant holes, I've got 2 sets of back gate bumper stop holes, a couple of holes inside the cab that don't look like they belong, and I've got a cigarette-lighter outlet hole in the dash that doesn't belong.

crofty Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:37 am

MConstable wrote: As always...you guys rock!
Thanks for the advice.
As far as errant holes, I've got 2 sets of back gate bumper stop holes, a couple of holes inside the cab that don't look like they belong, and I've got a cigarette-lighter outlet hole in the dash that doesn't belong.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

MConstable Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:55 am

Can't post pics for a few months.
We travel for a living, and am on the west coast about half the year, then in the midwest for the other half, so the bus is stored in Ohio.
When it comes time, I'll start posting pics with my questions.
Hope to have MetWiz do the work.
Again, Thanks guys!!