TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Safari window hinge to body seal - Need one anybody?
cru62 Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:08 pm

I remember a thread a while ago about how VW sealed the hinge to the body. I looked at the pictures and read the descriptions and knew I had seen something before that was almost the same thing. Then, the other day it hit me-Friction tape! If you don't know what this is, it is what you are supposed to wrap over vinyl electrical tape to make it water proof and friction resistant. It is a tar impregnated cloth that is tacky, not really adhesive. It is more like a post-it note. If you roll off a long piece and stick it to itself, you can build it up to the proper thickness. Then trim it to the correct size and punch screw holes with a paper punch. I had a postage size piece of the OG seal and it really resemble the friction tape. So now all you stock nazis can go to town!

campingbox Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:33 pm

Where is a good source for this friction tape?
I'm pretty sure the material used for the safari window hinge seals is like the stuff found on the front pedal pan and the air duct cover plate....

Flipseat Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:52 pm

When I pulled out the safaris for my bus from the bus they were originally in the sealer tape seemed to be a fibrous type of sealer tape. It was almost like tar impregnated cloth. I'd like to find something like original as the stuff I used is too thick and my latches squeak on the dash tabs.

Scotts 63 23 Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:12 am

As cru62 said, friction tape is very close to the same material used on the pedal pan, safari hinges and air duct cover plate. It is available at all hardware stores, but you can find a thicker version of it at 'hockey' equipment stores, as they use it on hockey sticks. It does have a tacky surface on it which I would hit with baby powder once I have built up the proper layers. It is usually 15mil thick but check out the hockey store to see if theirs is thicker...

Scott

splitpile Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 am

Here's what I use. Got it from Wurth, real German

not for sale

j.pickens Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:53 am

Ronnie gets ALL the OG shit.

This is the American equivalent:

cru62 Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Flipseat-The cool thing about this tape is that it is pretty thin to begin with, but you can build up as many layers as you need to get the thickness you need. That hint about the vent cover is great! I didn't even think about that. :D