TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: removing the air conditioner from a 91 Vanagon (Camper)
Reagan Penner Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:54 am

Hey all, I have decided to remove my air conditioner as it has never worked well for me and with these little motors it's seem crazy to even bother with it. I figure I would rather have the space and less weight.

So with that in mind, has anyone out there ever done this before and if so is there any thing that I need to be aware of prior to undertaking this task. I guess what I am most curious about is what to do with the hoses should I just tie them off or remove them down to the compreser. I guess that raises another question should I remove the compresor as well?

anyway just looking for discussion - reagan

DanJReed Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:17 am

Well. I asked this, and the overwhelming reply I got was - No don't do it - it lowers its value.

I ditched my belt and kept the compressor and all hoses on. It still has some rare 87 R-12 in it. The PO never used it as it sucked off too much power and makes the engine get too warm. :roll:

IMHO, I am thinking of adapting some type of electric motor to the clutch,
and drive the compressor VIA e-power versus a belt. I'll still heat the engine up (from the condesor) but will have a smaller power loss (I think).

And asside from the weight savings, the only "space" you gain is where the motor and evep sit.

Not worth the hassle.. IMHO.

Reagan Penner Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:06 pm

Yeah not much space but any extra space is worth it. What I am really after is the space above the rear bench seat. On the models without the air conditioner this space is useable and I was really hoping to reclaim it. What is all up there just the evaporator or is there a motor up there as well?

cheers - reagan

DanJReed Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Dual fan blower design, and a big evap unit. Be careful, its damn sharp.

You might as well yank out the vents as well, and gain a little more head room. They come down pretty easy. There are a few screws that you get to with the top up from the upper bunk that screw down into it.

I had mine out last year when I added a reading light.

mlf Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:59 am

just don't scrap it ,save it for later ,if u try to resell , :D

Reagan Penner Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:28 am

Good advise, I will definitly save the everything that I rip out. I like to be able to put things back to stock if need be.

thanks for the discussion - reagan