TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Off-Topic split from Camper ID thread (toilet etc) Page: 1, 2  Next
meinvw Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:14 pm

How did you get it here? I found a hitch, it is on the way. And after looking again at where its at not sure if I can get a trailer to take the turn in, might have to get a wrecker to pull it out to the road for me. Went back today to pull the rest of the interior out. After digging into it it is a homade camper, looks like they transplanted a fiber top from a later westy, cut in their own hole, and put the interior in from another bus. Still trying to figure out what type of interior it is. Thats how I stumbled onto this thread!

vwjosh6070 Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Pat, a fellow full mooner took me to get it monday morning. i owe her big time! her to bar ended up twisting, so we had to rent a tow dolly. that killed me there. but, i did look, and the guy i got the westy from has a split double cab. i dunno how much he wants for it tho. if you want to see pics of the westy, check out my gallery. his name is Trouble... and its for a good reason too! its been 4 hours since i started to pull Ritas tires back off of him, and im only on the right rear!! i strill have the whole left side to do!

meinvw Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:54 pm

Now if I can figure out how to get this one down. I found a reciver hitch online for 150 shipped. It is on its way, still need the hitch, and wiring before I can rent a trailer. I switched the rims off the 78 oand put them on the 71 so she now has good tires on her, got some unusuall rims off the 71, I thoght they had adapters on them but they look like the ansens on my 62 but they fit right to the bays hubs??? Also it looks like the interior is a SO-69, complete interior, a lot of good stuff on this one, even has the dash clock, I think it is saveable, looks like it has an adapter for the engine, so an upright will bolt right in.

On another note, is your Dad definatly wanting the engine and z-bed? Got the paperwork from her, and it looks like the engine was rebuilt in 2000, and she had about $4k in work over the past 5 years. If he can get it by next tues. I will knock off $50. and give you guys the engine, z-bed, and screen for $350. I gotta come up with some cash to pay the tax people!

vwjosh6070 Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:06 pm

lol, sell it on here! or sell the shitty ford motor and keep the bus. ill talk to dad about the stuff. oh, and its definately not a 72. its a 71 and earlier.

meinvw Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:13 pm

I checked the door jamb today, it is a 71, the pop-top had me really screwed up. I do like the stove/sink/fridge combo, it looks like it has a propane/electric fridge with an ice tray! I think I found the spigot today, just do not have the knobs for the gas control.

I think I can pull the engine out and take the adapter off and mount an upright to it no problem. But first I want to see if I can get it running, something to do till I get another engine.

vwjosh6070 Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 pm

lol, yeah, if you end up finding a 40 horse motor on your search, lemmie know. BTW, we have a club meeting this saturday if it isnt all crappy out.

vwjosh6070 Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:15 pm

well, i looked under the seat, and i found this:

:wink:

golde-westfalia Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:19 am

Now that's a find! Have you dared open the lid yet?

You can just see the rubber bung I was talking about, it's just above the coke cups. Most only have the rubber left and not the toilet.

Underneath all that junk in that compartment is there a rectangular piece with formica on the bottom - near the square door?

Just interested if this van is fitted with the enders housing or not?

vwjosh6070 Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:45 am

WTF is formica?? there is a rectangular tray type thingie that is secured to the floor. it has a red bottom on it. i think it is just to the left of the water pump.

no, i havent opened the toilet up yet. im to scared to, lol. it smells like an old motor home, lol.

heres the pic of the rectangulat thingie:

its under all of that garbage.

golde-westfalia Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:18 am

vwjosh67 wrote: WTF is formica?? there is a rectangular tray type thingie that is secured to the floor. it has a red bottom on it. i think it is just to the left of the water pump.

no, i havent opened the toilet up yet. im to scared to, lol. it smells like an old motor home, lol.

heres the pic of the rectangulat thingie:

its under all of that garbage.

Formica is the brand name for the surface bonded onto the wood.

It makes sense you have the enders "sled". Vans with tyhe A23 M-code have it too, but were never supplied with a cooker.

vwjosh6070 Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:20 am

cool. thanks for all of the info!!! so, since my bus is B23, i dont need the cooker?

golde-westfalia Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:57 am

vwjosh67 wrote: so, since my bus is B23, i dont need the cooker?

It wasn't delivered with a cooker. If you feel like adding one, the fitting is there for it.

vwjosh6070 Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm

cool. what could i expect to pay for the cooker??

meinvw Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:20 am

vwjosh67 wrote: cool. what could i expect to pay for the cooker??

Hey Josh if the cooker goes there, maybe you can run it off of methane gas from the john! :lol:

spookymulder Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:45 am

Josh, first the condition of your bus is in you have a whole lot more to work on and worry about than a cooker! Second, if the "M" tag stipulates that your B coded Westy didn't come with an Enders stove than what's the worry about getting one. They are pricey probably more than you paid for your whole bus and you could go with a nice period coleman stove with some other nice period accessories and still have money left over to work on your bus. I appreciate your enthusiasm but put it in the right direction. Be thankful you got a bus as complete as it was, now get to work on it and don't post here again until you have some progress pics of your bus to post! Stop talkin' and start cleanin, seriously!!!If you spent as much time workin on it as takin pics and talkin about it you would be half done already.

vwjosh6070 Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:12 pm

Quote: Josh, first the condition of your bus is in you have a whole lot more to work on and worry about than a cooker! Second, if the "M" tag stipulates that your B coded Westy didn't come with an Enders stove than what's the worry about getting one. They are pricey probably more than you paid for your whole bus and you could go with a nice period coleman stove with some other nice period accessories and still have money left over to work on your bus. I appreciate your enthusiasm but put it in the right direction. Be thankful you got a bus as complete as it was, now get to work on it and don't post here again until you have some progress pics of your bus to post! Stop talkin' and start cleanin, seriously!!!If you spent as much time workin on it as takin pics and talkin about it you would be half done already.

im not planning on buying one right now.lord knows i cant afford it, i just wanted to know in case i do end up wanting one in the future.

and i have done a lot to that bus, he is all cleaned up, and ready to do some driveway camping!

meinvw is giving me a new master cylinder for it, and i might steal the 40 horse he got with his panel. :wink:

trust me, i want this bus on the road ASAP! Rita isnt gunna last long with her current tranny, so when she goes down, i want Trouble to be running and driveable so i can still have a bus to drive.

doveblue3 Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:52 pm

vwjosh67 wrote: Quote: Josh, first the condition of your bus is in you have a whole lot more to work on and worry about than a cooker! Second, if the "M" tag stipulates that your B coded Westy didn't come with an Enders stove than what's the worry about getting one. They are pricey probably more than you paid for your whole bus and you could go with a nice period coleman stove with some other nice period accessories and still have money left over to work on your bus. I appreciate your enthusiasm but put it in the right direction. Be thankful you got a bus as complete as it was, now get to work on it and don't post here again until you have some progress pics of your bus to post! Stop talkin' and start cleanin, seriously!!!If you spent as much time workin on it as takin pics and talkin about it you would be half done already.

im not planning on buying one right now.lord knows i cant afford it, i just wanted to know in case i do end up wanting one in the future.

and i have done a lot to that bus, he is all cleaned up, and ready to do some driveway camping!

meinvw is giving me a new master cylinder for it, and i might steal the 40 horse he got with his panel. :wink:

trust me, i want this bus on the road ASAP! Rita isnt gunna last long with her current tranny, so when she goes down, i want Trouble to be running and driveable so i can still have a bus to drive.

sell that shit pot and buy wheel cylinders / etc. to get it on the road. i would rather drive the bus than stair at a stale bucket. my so-23 has no bucket, i dont know if it ever came with one, and drives great without it!

i wish that i could use that expression that says "you dont have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of", but in this case you actually do have a pot to piss in...but it isnt doing you any good!

spookymulder Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:35 pm

Good Point Kris! Also, Josh....You Posted Again, God Damn It! And I don't see any pics of any improvements! You're Grounded. Thirdly, to add to my directions from above, quit naming your vehicles, only senile old men and crazy women do that!!!!! :twisted:

vwjosh6070 Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 pm

lol, yeah, i have the pot to piss in, and 8 windows to dump it out too. im keeping the shitter because when i eventually do restore him, its one expensive little part i wont need to buy.

spooky, i have done a lot to that bus. the pics i posted are from when i first brought him home. now he is all cleaned up, not so stinky anymore, and is ready to get the body worked on. grounded??? whats that?? lol. i name all of my vw's. it ads to their character. and if you don't believe that a vw has character, bring a fat chick over for me to work on, RIta will find something that just happens to fail when i try to drive her. so i guess im a senile old man!

BryanM Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:19 pm

I wish I had know that shitter was in that bus, Id have bought it years ago. I could use something to crap in as I renovate my bathroom.