TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pictures of your "VW" Thing Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
OG67westy Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 am

my '74, found parked under a tarp, or series of decomposing tarps, sitting since 1982, back on the road this spring

Broholm Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:49 am

I bought this Thing from a friend of mine last year in August... Then we started stripping the car down and prepared it for a paint job... Hard to choose the colour, but we ended up choosing Pine Green L61K, and the result came out fine :D

August 2014, this Thing rolled out of the garage :D

Seats made by My Wife :D

Mahogany floor 8)

HUGO bOSS Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:16 am

Fantastic car! Looks great! :wink:
About the rear lugage, it's easy to find one in Denmark? Can you post some pics? I', trying to replicate one for my car... :roll:

Broholm Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:15 am

THX :D
These are getting rare, even here in Denmark..
Hope u can use the pics above

HUGO bOSS Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:58 am

:D Thanks!

I have search the net, but couldn't find none for sale... :cry:

One day, I will ask you the measures... :D

That's the topic of mine 181, from 1978. Was a germany army one...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538182

HUGO bOSS Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Tha danish army 181s have several diferences... the side turn signals... the side air opens for the enginne...
But is funny that yours dont have the heating system... :roll: not even the holes for that... No winter there? :twisted: Or no war on winter? :twisted:

Cgs once more for the car!

Broholm Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Don't panic! You can't see the heating system, because I'm not 100% done yet :wink:

jjrannauro Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:30 pm

HUGO bOSS wrote: :D Thanks!

I have search the net, but couldn't find none for sale... :cry:

One day, I will ask you the measures... :D

That's the topic of mine 181, from 1978. Was a germany army one...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538182

Thanks for sharing! It is pretty cool you got to get one :). I've been looking for one too. When you have some time would you be so kind to give us the the measures to build one? I bet many of us will appreciate it. Greetings

Broholm Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:34 am

Here you go, now we are started :D

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7493670#7493670

jjrannauro Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Broholm wrote: Here you go, now we are started :D

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7493670#7493670

Thank you very much! I appreciate the time you took, great job :) Greetings

dasbusking Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 am

oasis Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:25 am

Classic! I love it!

dasbusking Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:52 pm

oasis wrote: Classic! I love it!

Thanks, I have to credit my 13 year old daughter for standing alongside the road in a snowstorm to get the perfect shot!

dan macmillan Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Quote: I am quite surprised the police let you carry a 9mm pistol in a door pocket like that, we have to keep them on our persons in a holster, in a glove box or in the trunk.

Figured maybe in Northern Canada during hunting season they would relax the rules because of the bears, so you could carry a heavy rifle inside the compartment, but that's a different story

That is funny.They are just toy water guns but they do freak out hitch hikers.

No handguns are legal in Canada unless you have them locked up, unloaded, and are transporting to or from a shooting range. We are not allowed to open or concealed carry.
Hunting rules are very strict when transporting. No loaded firearms allowed.

Bears are not as harmful as many people think. I have then in my yard about 2 times a year. I have had full grown back bears walk within 3 feet of me. Bears are curious but most are afraid of humans and will run away. Different story if you box one in.

doublecanister Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 pm

dasbusking wrote:

hey dasbusking, just curious, how well did it do in the snow?

it looks like you have some good tires on there for snow, mine has just hankook street tires, I backed it out the garage a few weeks ago
and rode around in the 8+ inches of snow we had and got stuck trying to get back in the garage!

just the left rear tire spun, I thought these things had posi traction but not sure.

Anyways, looks good, glad you're enjoying the THING!
T

dasbusking Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:44 pm

doublecanister wrote: dasbusking wrote:

hey dasbusking, just curious, how well did it do in the snow?

it looks like you have some good tires on there for snow, mine has just hankook street tires, I backed it out the garage a few weeks ago
and rode around in the 8+ inches of snow we had and got stuck trying to get back in the garage!

just the left rear tire spun, I thought these things had posi traction but not sure.

Anyways, looks good, glad you're enjoying the THING!
T
It did very well in the snow. if you look closely you will see snow packed on the beam and in the rims from running through drifts and snow piles. I do have a very aggressive mud and snow tread on the tires and a more aggressive right foot when I take my thing out to play in the deep snow. Lots of momentum, counter steering, and rooster tails. The neighbors just stare and shake their heads, I'm suprised they don't call the police. For normal tame snow driving I find it tends to under steer a little, even with the aggressive tires sometimes you have to blip the throttle to get it pointed in the right direction. I don't think it has positive traction of any kind just an open diff.

rick the stick Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:34 am

cam the battery be relocated to the engine compartment ?

Ron Domeck Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:30 am

Sure, bus and ghia has them there. Check to see what will fit. 73 has the louver rain guards that take up space.

oasis Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:58 pm

rick the stick wrote: cam the battery be relocated to the engine compartment ? [sic]
Ron Domeck wrote: Sure, bus and ghia has them there. Check to see what will fit.
I asked about placing the battery up front (my first choice) or in the engine compartment, and my mechanic didn't like the idea. Is he just being ultra conservative?

GI Joe Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

I would choose the boot before the engine bay, just for the heat issue.. A battery will get cooked pretty good back there. Might as well give it all the life you can.

Sounds like your mechanic doesn't wanna fool with the relocation. It will be some rewiring, but wouldn't be That bad..

Good luck, whatever you choose!