TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pictures of your "VW" Thing Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
perello Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:33 am

newfisher Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 am

Hot Rod Harp Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:25 am

Love the grey. I have the same steering wheel, but in black have a couple of questions. Did you use the stock/original horn ground ring and does your horn work?

I used the gnd ring with turn signal cancelling cam on modified Grant hub.
The horn works if I ground it to bolts or spacer hub. I think I have to grind off the powder coat where the fiber ring touches the steering wheel under the cap.

Again, that's a really nice Thing.

newfisher Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks. Built it and Sold it. Kinda miss ot and looking for another keeper.

I didnt use the extension that you have or bellows. Yes horn works. Assembled just like the directions but the pins are junk for cancelling turn.

Niedersachse Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:32 am

Good morning, thesamba!

Introducing my dec. '69 Thing, which hibernated for almost 15 years in a barn. Restoration was finished in june 2019 and now it is on the road again 8)

The car is a former german army vehicle and served in the Bundeswehr from 1970 until ca. 1990. I bought it in 1997 and restored it to its former glory from 2016-2019. It‘s bone stock (Well, maybe 90%...).

First ride. Took a pic in front of castle Marienburg*, which is the place where i always take pictures of my cars during the first trip out.

*Actually, not a mediveal castle, but a fantasy castle. Like castle Neuschwanstein. It was the thing to do in that period of time, if you were a king...

View from the back. I wish it would stay that nice and clean forever...

Dashboard view. Someone should have cleaned up the workbench before taking the picture... :oops:

Engine (A few cables still missing in the picture). It is a 1500ccm/44(DIN)hp "H", but with 1600 cc pistons and cylinders instead of the pricey 1500s. Runs great though. The engine is not built to army specs yet. Maybe sometime in the future. Oh, but the ugly painted carb will be replaced soon. Like the shabby fuel pump.

Greetings from germany!

Lars

EverettB Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:27 am

Very nice, I like it a lot!

The color-matched steering wheel cover is cool.

I never heard that information about "Fantasy Castles" so I'm looking them up right now. Interesting.

Niedersachse Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks, Everett!

Yes, the steering wheel cover is my pride and joy. My first attempt to sew a cover by myself :)

There are a few castels in germany that were built in the 19th century in a neo-gothic style to resemble mediveal castels. Neuschwanstein was built for Ludwig II. of Bavaria in 1869. The castle in my picture was build for Marie of Saxe-Altenburg by her husband George V. of Hanover in 1858. As a birthday present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marienburg_Castle_(Hanover)

It was a kind of fashion at that time to build gothic revival castles.

Ohio_Style Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 am

Getting mine ready for springtime again.

64TwoTone Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 pm

This is my rust free Baby

crispins Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:39 pm

This is mine.

I bought it from the original owner and have all records going back to the original sale or it.

Rust free, about 50k miles on it.

obus Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:50 am

latest update:

Hot Rod Harp Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Looks good...ready for the season. In north jersey the cops can be funny regarding license plate frames
that obscure any part of the plate or hanging something from the rear view mirror.
They may let you slide with the QQ plates.

obus Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Hot Rod Harp wrote: Looks good...ready for the season. In north jersey the cops can be funny regarding license plate frames
that obscure any part of the plate or hanging something from the rear view mirror.
They may let you slide with the QQ plates.

Thanks! and WOW! really? I hope i don't run into a hardass down here that gives me a hassle

hp32si Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:41 am

obus Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:19 pm

a little elbow grease and you will have yourself a looker there!

hp32si Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks
yep
My son and I are working on it. Hopefully, we can have something to look at in a year

Meltedbutter Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 pm

My first car was a 1973 yellow Thing in 1982. Now I have this one that comes from Kamloops BC (wherever that is). Just like being in high school again.
[/img]

kidacero Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 am

My Safari, also known as "Generator" 1971

trekkerglenn Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm

From the UK, not quite finished yet

Trylon Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:02 am