TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Talkin' about rare accessories...
Mr Mike Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:17 pm

the other day was shootin' the breeze with a VW friend.
Got to talking about accessories we read about in this forum.
"You know one thing, thats really rare" sez he.
"Whats that?" sez I.
"One of them boats VW made 'long time ago. Fits right on top
of a bus. I bet an original one is rare as hens teeth."
How 'bout that folks? Never saw anyone in here state
they "scored one". Are they rare? Anyone got a picture? :D

markm Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:28 pm

Sounds to me like he's talking about the riviera campers. I always thought they looked like busses with a boat on top.

RareAir Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:38 pm

I've seen those Type 2 boats. They were made pretty popular when Jeff Walters or Dave Heard wrote about them in the Transporter Talk column of Hot VWs magazine several years ago. They look like a canoe and are the perfect length to fit upside down on a Bus roof.

Macca_nzl Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:53 am

One of these?

Kinda cool

Mac

RareAir Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:55 am

Mr Mike wrote: How 'bout that folks? Never saw anyone in here state
they "scored one". Are they rare? Anyone got a picture? :D

See, now you've seen a pic.

Dave Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:38 am

Glenn, they wree called the "Vacation Waterfarer", at least the ones made here in the US were. Of course, they had the name with a big "V" and "W" and it was upside-down on the actual boat, so that when it was mounted on your Bus, it would say " \X/".. here's another little tidbit for you to research, Glenn... the original Vacation Waterfarer boats were made of fiberglass, in, of all places, POWAY... somewhere around Poway, the molds for that boat are probably still floating around... find them, re-work them, give them to Randee, and start making "Vacation Waterfarers" again... 8) :shock:

thevwcollector Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am

Here is a shot of a V-DUB boat that I traded off about 5 years ago to Glen in Lancaster, Ca. Fits like a champ!!

Claire Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Now THAT is COOL!!!!! If only they made leeeeeeeetle tiny ones for us bug owners!!

Oh yeah... I forgot our cars are supposed to float!!!! :lol:

obus Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:31 pm

i saw one years ago on a bus at a show in princeton nj. woner where that is now?

westernair Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:07 am

I had one of those. it was awsome. Unfortunatly one night while on vacation In So Cal someone decided they liked it more and stole it. This was about 6-7 years ago. I would love to find another one

radrob Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:32 pm

I like the fit of the first one
I stumbled across the artical a couple of years back and i think the place was in kent or auburn washington that was making them.

salone Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:46 am

i've seen trailers that have the same type of removable boat top. are those VW too?

Kubel Nick Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:14 pm

salone wrote: i've seen trailers that have the same type of removable boat top. are those VW too?

Neither are VW. The bus with the boat was done by a 3rd company, kind of like Westfalia modifes VW campers, Westfalia isn't part of VW...

tortron Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:02 pm

that must add heaps of airodynamics 8)

Jason Eden Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:04 pm

salone wrote: i've seen trailers that have the same type of removable boat top. are those VW too? Look at first pic behind bus.

eddiemoney Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:29 pm

Macca_nzl wrote:

what is the going rate for one of these?

dieselnut Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 pm

Here's the trailer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trailorboat-vintage...dZViewItem

coad Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:27 pm

dieselnut wrote: Here's the trailer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trailorboat-vintage...dZViewItem

That's pretty clever how they mount the outboard motor