TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door pocket rivets? Page: 1, 2  Next
crofty Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:23 am

Is there a source for them? Yes, I searched the threads but found nothing..

campingbox Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:28 am

Hey Sean-
Email Clara. I installed pockets in the '58 panel last month.

Greg

Andrew Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:30 am

crofty wrote: Is there a source for them? Yes, I searched the threads but found nothing..

When you did the search, let's just hope that you didn't search "Dood pocket rivits"...

davebuckholts Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:35 am

DaveM Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:40 am

I know where a few NOS ones are....

(it's the brass colored one, middle right.

... sorry, I only have one and it's NFS at any price.

crofty Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:03 am

DaveM wrote: I know where a few NOS ones are....

(it's the brass colored one, middle right.

... sorry, I only have one and it's NFS at any price.

Thanks. Maybe I should post a few pics of my splash pan inner fender supports ...

DaveM Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 am

crofty wrote: Thanks. Maybe I should post a few pics of my splash pan inner fender supports ...

You have some of those too?

The problem with the rivets that I know about, there are very few, not enough to do one pocket. I got the one for a reference.

I've also considered removing and re-working used ones. I think they could be reused with patience.

Lind Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:24 am

DaveM wrote: crofty wrote: Thanks. Maybe I should post a few pics of my splash pan inner fender supports ...

You have some of those too?

The problem with the rivets that I know about, there are very few, not enough to do one pocket. I got the one for a reference.

I've also considered removing and re-working used ones. I think they could be reused with patience.
didn't I have a whole drawer full of those rivits?

DaveM Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:39 am

I don't remember a whole drawer full.... maybe a few. and I only got 1 :?

campingbox Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:48 am

Hey Lind, put one aside for me...actually, put the whole drawer aside. I'd like to dig through there to see if I can find something useful.
I'll make it worth your while...

pyrOman Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:52 am

It's rivets! :roll:

Lind Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:42 pm

campingbox wrote: Hey Lind, put one aside for me...actually, put the whole drawer aside. I'd like to dig through there to see if I can find something useful.
I'll make it worth your while...
will do.

j.pickens Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:58 pm

pyrOman wrote: It's rivets! :roll:

It's pyreman! :roll:

j.pickens Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Does this page from McMaster Carr do anything for you guys?

Especially the copper and brass 1/8" shaft by 0.219" diameter head rivets?

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?Req...nWidth=591

pyrOman Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:08 am

j.pickens wrote: pyrOman wrote: It's rivets! :roll:

It's pyreman! :roll:

:lol:

DaveM Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:54 am

Spurred on by Clara after she sent me a rivet that she was able to find at Tacoma Screw (or so I assume since it was in one of their bags), I went and measured a few examples that I have around of door pocket rivets.

The head diameter should be 7mm either in brass or steal. The rivets in my firebus are silver and I looked at about 6 or 7 door panels in my basement with pockets and all they had were brass... but all were 7mm head.

The rivet Clara sent me had an 8mm head and was copper. I'd say it would be close but to me the copper is way wrong. I'd also tend to under size the head than make it a little big.

The rivet that I thought was og/NOS that I got from Lind is way off as well... it has a 5mm head. (see what I get when I ASSuME)

The rivet that J.Pickens found in mcmaster carr would be too small as well with it's 5.6mm head. We'd need to find a rivet from M/C with a 0.275 head (which is 7mm).

The biggest problem is finding metric rivets. I searched all over the place for correct vent wing to latch rivets only to have some chap in the UK send me some NOS ones. My machinist friend said he could make them but would need to make a few hundred at a time to make it worth his while. The door pocket rivets would be more difficult since they need to be hollow (vent latch rivets are solid). Someone like Ronnie needs to do this since I really have no interest in being in the retail obscure vintage bus parts biz.

crofty Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:14 am

I found some round head rivits at a local OSH and used them. They worked out pretty well. A lot better than my attempt to cut the panels did, that's for sure.

But then again, with this truck I'm not caring so much about keeping it totally correct, as it's well used. As a matter of fact, I armor all'd the whole thing yesterday!

splitpile Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:36 am

DaveM wrote: Spurred on by Clara after she sent me a rivet that she was able to find at Tacoma Screw (or so I assume since it was in one of their bags), I went and measured a few examples that I have around of door pocket rivets.

The head diameter should be 7mm either in brass or steal. The rivets in my firebus are silver and I looked at about 6 or 7 door panels in my basement with pockets and all they had were brass... but all were 7mm head.

The rivet Clara sent me had an 8mm head and was copper. I'd say it would be close but to me the copper is way wrong. I'd also tend to under size the head than make it a little big.

The rivet that I thought was og/NOS that I got from Lind is way off as well... it has a 5mm head. (see what I get when I ASSuME)

The rivet that J.Pickens found in mcmaster carr would be too small as well with it's 5.6mm head. We'd need to find a rivet from M/C with a 0.275 head (which is 7mm).

The biggest problem is finding metric rivets. I searched all over the place for correct vent wing to latch rivets only to have some chap in the UK send me some NOS ones. My machinist friend said he could make them but would need to make a few hundred at a time to make it worth his while. The door pocket rivets would be more difficult since they need to be hollow (vent latch rivets are solid). Someone like Ronnie needs to do this since I really have no interest in being in the retail obscure vintage bus parts biz.

I checked with metricscrewandtool.com and they have the rivets but only in 6m or 8 mm heads!! I could get some 8mm head ones and have the heads turned down to 7mm I guess

DaveM Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:40 am

Ronnie, that would be great. Just get them in brass or stainless (not copper). It's interesting that of all the door panels I have with pockets, only the ones in the firebus are silver, the rest brass.

... speaking of rivets, has anyone bought any of the WW vint latch to frame rivets? Are they close to og?

crofty Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:08 am

DaveM wrote: Ronnie, that would be great. Just get them in brass or stainless (not copper). It's interesting that of all the door panels I have with pockets, only the ones in the firebus are silver, the rest brass.

... speaking of rivets, has anyone bought any of the WW vint latch to frame rivets? Are they close to og?

The rivets removed from my '60 were silver.