TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do I strengthen my pan for Xtreme offroad?
traviswx1 Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:27 pm

I pulled out the seats,shifter, battery, and carpeting. I am now down to all of that tar under coating. I wanted to get it down to bare metal so maybe i can weld some steel plating for reinforcement.I needed some tips on what kind of steel would be good for reinforcements. I also need to get rid of all of the crap because i bought a jamar super shifter so i can shift my 091 tranny without getting a useless body lift. I am also planning on getting a rollcage. Code:

desertthing Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Try a chromoly chassis and forget the pan. If you want extreme! extra stell means extra weight.

Vanhag Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:35 pm

I agree with the chromoly chassis idea.

Personally I'm doing a body lift to strengthen the pan and body. O what? that useless lift? I bought a taiwanese special so I can have my local fab shop weld one out of stock tubing. I figure if it is done right you're going to add a bunch of strength to the car.
It should look a little like Iceluke's setup:

I'll be welding the roll cage to the lift, rear torsion, body, and front beam. I'll also be welding up some rock gaurds for the side bottoms for those times when you have to roll over a boulder.

UncleDirty Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:32 am

Start by welding all the seams on your pan. Also the frame horn seams. It's best to have it sand blasted first, but you can clean the undercoating off pretty good with a wire wheel.
A piece of 3/16 plate between the torsion housing and the pan is a good idea. I think Hibbards book shows some examples.

traviswx1 Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:44 pm

Has anyone seen a pan fabed of chromoly and if they have how did it turn out. I was thinking about maybe doing that. i would first use some square tubing on the perimeter then work my way in to the sheeting then the tunnel. Sounds good. Opinion needed! Thanks.

Dirt Junkie Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:56 pm

check the classifieds the was a guy on there who makes them.

Chewbacca Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:18 am

How eXtreme are we talking here?
like 3 or 4 cans of pepsi maX?

traviswx1 Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Do you know what section of the classifieds he was in or do you have a direct link? Thanks!

Dirt Junkie Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:57 pm

Searched for the ad today and found nothing. :? It was a pan made with tubing that you weld your rear tortion to.

traviswx1 Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:17 am

Were talking about six cans

baja5 Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:34 pm

start with this.

http://www.funbodies.com/tube_chassis.htm

Dirt Junkie Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:18 pm

The ad is back up in classifieds again its a featured ad.

DeMinimis Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:52 pm

Vanhag:

Looked at your lift before and was impressed. Looks plenty stout. How do you plan on bolting the body to the frame (bolts all the way through the lift, tabs, weld nuts, etc...)?

ellobo Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:59 pm

You didn't mention if this was for a buggy project or if you were doing a baja bug....I added some 1 1/4" x .120" wall within the c-channel from underneath. If you're lucky enough to afford a f/g body with the intergral 3" body lift...This is the way to go.... :D
Either way, If you're looking to get some extreme support...Then, I would add an additional roll cage structure or cage.....

Vanhag Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:52 pm

Support from underneathe, I like it, But I'm worried about scraping the bolt heads off on boulders and trees.

DeMinimouse, that's not my pan in the picture it was IceLuke's. Like I said I plan on taking my Tiawan lift to the local shop and having them copy it a couple of times from tubing, like IceLukes.