TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon floor upgrade... Page: 1, 2  Next
Big B Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:50 am

[img]http:www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/228448.jpg[/img]

Tore out the old grey vinyl,lightly sanded the wood and laid a ceramic tile floor in silicone mastic, finished it off with a nice grout. Have about 3000 miles and so far, no cracks at all.
Cleans up nicely...........
Man, go to the tile store, the possibilities are endless.........
:D

Big B Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:52 am

lets try that again

thumpergti84 Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:03 am

Looks nice!!!

mightyart Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:40 am

That's pretty cool, Big B. 8)

psych-illogical Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:06 am

Sweet.

walrus Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:39 am

Very nice.
Looks like someone has to much free time. :D

r39o Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:04 am

If you are lazy, you put in a piece of carpet. You can quickly get the sand and what not out by taking the carpet and shaking it out. My OG Westy floor has wax build up and looks bad, but I still can get at the middle seat tracks if I take the carpet out.

lilweasel Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:11 am

I'm planning on putting some black rubber floor in soon- then I'm going to cover it with 2 x 2 carpet tiles. That way, I can have the utilitarian, easy to clean floor when I need it, and when I want to have a nice, soft carpet, I can put the carpet tiles in. Spill something or stain a carpet tile, yank it out and replace the single tile- not the whole floor! Sweet. I can't wait. And, it'll cost less than 80 bucks by my pricing. I'l post pics when I manage to get it done.

cnskate Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:21 am

I used about $25 worth of off-brand Pergo. Took me about an hour. All the dirt and spilled food and so forth that I sweep out of there regularly makes me glad that I don't have carpet.

Big B Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:47 am

Some great ideas!!!!!!!
I will keep you posted, my only concern, is the tiles coming up over time.
But I was encouraged by a flooring installer that the silicone mastic would handle the movement.
I use two little throw rugs over this floor, to add softness.
I just removed them to show the floor. :D

Paintedbus Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:50 pm

i went down to an overstock store in my area called ocean state job lots, and picked up some snap together wood-look flooring for both my 71 and 87. i bought 1 box for each (about 30 square feet) and people who ride with me in either of my vans always pick up on the floor first... also, when camping it is VERY easy to clean... for shows, it looks excellent. :D

HoustonPhotog Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 am

Wow....

I think I just bought this 1987 Westy described in this thread this past weekend in Phoenix.

I was searching to see what a stock vanagon floor looked like originally since the one I just bought had tile laid in it. Then I see this pic on Google image search and viola.. its identical to the one I just bought.

Its kinda neat to accidentally find a previous owner...

Big B, you still hanging around here on the forum?

noganav Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

Last visited Aug 20, 2011. You can click to his profile for more info and maybe send him a personal message.

Good eye, I'm sure he would be happy to find out what happened with his van!

Ahwahnee Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Great that you stumbled across that connection. There are a couple more photos in his gallery, including this:

Xtremjeepn Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Curious how the floor is holding up?

HoustonPhotog Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 am

Sooooo cool!

The floor still looks good. a little grout cracking on the edges but all in all its in good shape. I mean youre taking it being installed in 2005 so thats a good 8 years ago. its to be expected.

The people I purchased it from have had a lot of stuff at GoWesty including the exterior upgrades of 16" wheels/tires/bumpers/power mirrors etc.

I have a transport scheduled to pick her up soon so once she gets home then i'll be able to give her a good walk through and see what needs addressing etc.

HoustonPhotog Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 pm

The 10 day hold on my Cashiers Check cleared yesterday so I had a transport company pick up my 87 Westy today...

She just got loaded up on a trailer in Phoenix AZ and will be headed home to Texas soon!

HoustonPhotog Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am

Sorry Big B.... but after 8 years it was time for a slight remodel....

I just spent this past weekend pulling up the tile floor and subfloor. cleaned and replace with new 11/32" subfloor and a floating vinyl wood plank floor. I just need to finish off the trim pieces and button it all up.

HoustonPhotog Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 am

I had a busy weekend working on Libby... Removed the bench seat kick panel, replaced the speaker hole with a cubby hole door, installed a black LP/Carbon Monoxide detector, a Blue Sea 12v socket and a Blue Sea dual usb socket. Oh yea, since I had the kick plate out I decided to pull out the vinyl flooring and redo it. I did the first version of the vinyl flooring late at night and I wasn't happy with the finished product. =)

Here's a before photo when I started the interior revamp a couple of months ago... You'll also notice the newly powder coated tins... i like it!

kjono09 Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 pm

The floors, one step closer