TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: split karmann convertible metal framed semaphores how much?
=Petri Nut*1= Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:04 am

Need help:), I have been offered a pair of genuine original split bug karmann convertible semaphores that same model used on hebmüllers, the model with the full metal frame around the orange lens with the original L numberand vw logo, I need them for my vert.

I need to place a bid but how much can I offer the guy? He know what they are worth and he knows that these are probably the hardest part to find, so I do not think that 2k willtake them which is fair as I have never in my life time seen a working pair for sale.

What is fair, any of you guys have an idea? What would you pay if you needed those? I do not want to give the guy a bad offer, on the other hand I do not want to overbid, just becase these are the only pair on the "market" for sale. So i thought that some of you might have heard of a pair beeing sold lately, in that case how much?

Any help is apriciated.

Thanks

Hebster52 Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:02 am

Make sure they are original Karmann semaphores. I have a set that are basically identical but they are longer (about 5 mm) so they don't fit the original slot...

I cant help you on the value though... :cry:

->edit: BTW, I'm using the ones I have for my Hebster. Since I'm custom making the body too it is no problem to use these. No one will see the difference when finished... :wink:

=Petri Nut*1= Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:38 am

thanks for the advise would you happen to have a picture of your semaphores that are wrong, so I have something to compare with?

Does your's have the vw logo and part number on the base?

Airsick Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:49 am

Petri are you the owner of the STP car? Or just a fan? I noticed the avatar.

Hebster52 Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:04 pm

Here is a pic of my semaphores. No VW logo or part number. Between the rivets is the code AFE and 6V though...

Wiggy Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Airsick wrote: Petri are you the owner of the STP car? Or just a fan? I noticed the avatar.

Thats not the same car.

=Petri Nut*1= Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:02 pm

2splits wrote: Airsick wrote: Petri are you the owner of the STP car? Or just a fan? I noticed the avatar.

Thats not the same car.

Avater stp car?? where do you see this? I do not have a clue about what you are talking about sorry :).. Please explain.

Thanks for the picture on the semaphore, these are not that same semaphores as the once I have been offered the once I have have vw logo but yes the metal framed arm looks the same.

Thanks for the help, still no idea on the price range?

Wiggy Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:55 pm

=Petri Nut*1= wrote: 2splits wrote: Airsick wrote: Petri are you the owner of the STP car? Or just a fan? I noticed the avatar.

Thats not the same car.

Avater stp car?? where do you see this? I do not have a clue about what you are talking about sorry :).. Please explain.

Thanks for the picture on the semaphore, these are not that same semaphores as the once I have been offered the once I have have vw logo but yes the metal framed arm looks the same.

Thanks for the help, still no idea on the price range?

:lol:

ScrapJunkie Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

You gotta love that car.

johnshenry Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Careful, there are sems out there that look like that that are not VW. My '50 these on it when I bought it:

I have since sold them (not representing them as VW sems) and replaced them with real grooved sems. Not sure I have any other pics.

Do the ones you are considering buying have a part number on them????

RareAir Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:29 pm

Airsick wrote: Petri are you the owner of the STP car? Or just a fan? I noticed the avatar.

The STP car (1950) is owned by Jim Buys who resides in Oklahoma. PetriNut*1 is out in Denmark.

RareAir Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:31 pm

johnshenry wrote: Careful, there are sems out there that look like that that are not VW. My '50 these on it when I bought it:

PetriNut*1 had a set of those semi's 4-sale ($150/pr) earlier this year at the Classic so I'm sure the ones he's considering purchasing are very different.

Hebster52 Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:07 pm

johnshenry wrote: Careful, there are sems out there that look like that that are not VW. My '50 these on it when I bought it:

I have since sold them (not representing them as VW sems) and replaced them with real grooved sems. Not sure I have any other pics.

John, yours may have been early SAAB semaphores. I've been told that they are very similar to early split cabrios semaphores and also fit on splits. Possibly even the same manufactor?

=Petri Nut*1= Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:01 am

the stp car is no my car, here is a pic of my car which is also the one on the thumbnail.

Airsick Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:55 am

Sorry, I got my splits mixed up. I love your car. I had that pick on my desktop for awhile.

kdf38 Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 am

A Hebmüller uses the same semaphores as the VW sedan, not the same ones that a Karmann uses.

Mike

Hebster52 Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:12 am

[email protected] wrote: A Hebmüller uses the same semaphores as the VW sedan, not the same ones that a Karmann uses.

Mike
Interesting.

twinwindows Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:48 pm

=Petri Nut*1= wrote: Need help:), I have been offered a pair of genuine original split bug karmann convertible semaphores that same model used on hebmüllers, the model with the full metal frame around the orange lens with the original L numberand vw logo, I need them for my vert.

I need to place a bid but how much can I offer the guy? He know what they are worth and he knows that these are probably the hardest part to find, so I do not think that 2k willtake them which is fair as I have never in my life time seen a working pair for sale.

What is fair, any of you guys have an idea? What would you pay if you needed those? I do not want to give the guy a bad offer, on the other hand I do not want to overbid, just becase these are the only pair on the "market" for sale. So i thought that some of you might have heard of a pair beeing sold lately, in that case how much?

Any help is apriciated.

Thanks

Petrinut, you said you have been offered a pair of genuine original split bug karmann convertible I take it its a split dash vert? If so they take the very same samaphore as a hardtop, Hebmullers didn`t come with "Heb only " semaphores, try to get a picture of what your talking about and post it here.

buggen Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Not sure what all the fuss is about. If its got a split bug part number AL143.001 and a VW emblem on the back then I would say they are the real deal. If there is no VW emblem or VW part number I wouldn't touch them.

Skim Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:01 pm

buggen wrote: Not sure what all the fuss is about. If its got a split bug part number AL143.001 and a VW emblem on the back then I would say they are the real deal. If there is no VW emblem or VW part number I wouldn't touch them.

Yeah or you'll be rollin' a set of those So. Cal Imports SWF ones with 'weld in cans'