TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1966 type 2 fuel line attach to fuel tank question?
joestallworth Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:59 pm

:D
Hello,
I am replacing my fuel line on my 66 bus. I wonder if anyone knows, where the fuel line attaches to the bottom of the tank there is a big nut. Is that a compresion fitting? :D

[email protected]

Levonbenelli Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:27 pm

umm...no, it's not.

Major Woody Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:38 pm

I assume you have not yet pulled the old line off.
The big nut holds the spout on and also retains the fuel tank screen which you might want to consider cleaning while you're under there. Don't lose the small washer under the fitting. Clamp your lines.

EverettB Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:39 pm

No but it does have washers in there that need to be there to stop leaks.

maddriverman Tue May 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Ive been looking to find where to hook up my fuel line, I am currently using my gas can(while getting it running)...is the nipple I see under the vehicle,near the starter where my fuel line hooks up?..do I have to use a hard line or can I use the german braided fuel line?

EverettB Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Yes, that is the bottom of the tank. You push a rubber hose on the nipple seen there. If you haven't removed that fitting, do so now and put a new filter screen in there and make sure it at least looks clear before filling the tank.

Eric&Barb Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 pm

There is mucho fantastic info in the "Parts Manuals" you can view through the vintagebus.com website!

Here is just one set of the pages there:

http://vintagebus.com/parts/5867part/189.png

The fuel line running from the fuel tank to the fuel pump for the most part is hard metal fuel lines, with the flexable fuel line sections connecting it all together.

Clara Wed May 20, 2009 8:59 am

When messing with fuel lines under the bus, disconnect the ground from the battery.

If you make a spark by hitting the starter, it is not a good thing to have gas drips. In fact, it is a really, really bad thing. Don't go there.
If you do get severe burns, get in the shower and run it cold to cool you down and stop your flesh from cooking. It will make the damage less.

The nut is 22mm
Good to make sure the metal mesh screen sock (#27 in diagram) is intact. If it is fine, no reason to replace. If the mesh is torn, replace it.
The seal/gaskets are the same red ones as used on carbs. (#26) (well, the og lower late one (#6) is different, but you can use the carb one in place of it)

calsurfnative Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:34 am

Use steel braid and you can get a adapter to go into the tank to a AN 6 size for a fuel line safe connection o more fuel lines leak