TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Isn't this a bit much ? Page: 1, 2  Next
Richard Roth Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:55 pm

I just saw an NOS set sell for $1,500.00 a few months ago.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=247177

Yustrn Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:56 pm

You are correct sir, however as the old statement goes "A sucker is born every minute, and a fool and his money will soon be departed"

Someone will probably step up and buy them.

restojohnny Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:06 pm

I sold my set of split popout's 2 year's ago for $1500.00 now I regret it :cry: I'm sure someone will step up like Erick said !

steven wood Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:20 pm

Yeah I would say thats a little much. He wanted to sell me a oval vert deck lid for around $2500.00 or I could trade him a Becker Monza radio :roll:

RareAir Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:27 pm

$4k and no pics? I believe Lance Gregory (owner of the popouts in the link) paid about $4k for his windows from a fellow in Miami, Florida.

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:10 am

Those are not split popouts anyway. Those are zwitter and early oval (up through '54). They have the rubber on the outside of the frame. True "split" popouts do not have that outside rubber strip. In '55 the popouts received the fluted frames and kept the rubber. :wink:

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:17 am

I have an extra horn ring, maybe those would look good on my oval. What do you think Glenn? :wink:

Skim Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:14 am

RareAir wrote: $4k and no pics? I believe Lance Gregory (owner of the popouts in the link) paid about $4k for his windows from a fellow in Miami, Florida.

Oh damn, if he bought them from Mr. H.D.P. in Miami then you know he paid top diggity.$$$

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 am

Phil ain't so bad really...........If you buy it from Phil....you just paid for it early. Within a year or two the price is right and you have the best part on the planet. Horn rings and split pop outs are really hard to find in any condition now. :wink:

RareAir Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:03 am

53 0val wrote: I have an extra horn ring, maybe those would look good on my oval. What do you think Glenn? :wink:

Extra 1950-55 horn ring? Wish I had that problem. Wanna sell it.....cheap? :wink:

Jimmy Perez Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:19 am

Where is the horn ring, and is it for sale?
As for the early popout, very nice, are hard to find. When your looking for a rare hard to find item's, price is not an issue. So they will probably sell. 8)

Lance Gregory Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:52 pm

So are we back to the argument about split popouts again? Is the argument that mine are not real split popouts? If they are not, I would really like to see who has a real set because everyone else seems ti think they are originals. Or are they Volvo windows again? Who cares what someone pays for something anyways if you need and want and someone has you either buy it or wait until hell freezes over to buy it when it goes up for sale.
If anyone has pictures of true split popouts let me see them.

Brezelwerks Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:49 pm

Bob is right, the version shown are correct more for a late 53 to an early 55. Forget the old Volvo story, I've seen and touched the earliest version, two original members of the DKF have them uninstalled on their parts display shelves. The split version though is shown in the small early split Bosch accessory catalog, no external rubber gasket, the split version has no outer gasket. The correct split popouts were not a good design without the gasket, thankfully they were quickly improved in the next design, similar external frame but slotted for the gasket, and with a slightly different latch/knob as well.

The popouts shown above are very valuable, $4K is pushing it, but I can understand the price if someone is trying to pass them off as the original split era as they are not. These however are extremely rare, and IMO are qualified enough to be on a split, given split owners of the time could simply upgrade their car a year or two down to add this particular later style in. Its likely this happened more than a few times, especially as availability of this later version were likely greater for this version here than the originals. Keep in mind these were expensive accessories for the time, as I recall were 115DM in the Bosch catalog, rather significant given the price of the whole car at the time.

The original split era popouts I have seen are not for sale, no names given.

Gary

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:55 pm

This has nothing to do about Volvo pop outs. Bret Yeger's '52 has "Split" pop outs. The car was featured in either the June or July 1997 issue of Hot VWs. You will notice the the pop outs do not have the outside rubber seal. The seal on "split" pop outs is on the inside and cannot be seen from the outside when the window is closed. Early "oval" pop outs are like the ones pictured. The seal is on the outside. The other difference is the size of the hinge. On the "split" popouts the hinge is a little larger. Glenn or John or Gary should be able to confirm this. I have a set of smooth frame, outside rubber pop outs like the ones pictured and they are correct for "ovals" up thru '54. Glenn also has a set on his '54. These are not "split" pop outs...........they are early oval. Look at July 1997 page 67. Somebody with a scaner can post up pictures and we can all learn something. :wink:

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:59 pm

Jimmy Perez wrote: Where is the horn ring, and is it for sale?
As for the early popout, very nice, are hard to find. When your looking for a rare hard to find item's, price is not an issue. So they will probably sell. 8)

I'll let you know later this week if I will sell the ring.......everybody wants one but they must be waiting for Gary. :wink:

Brezelwerks Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:06 pm

I own 2 perfect original batwing hornrings, at some point I may sell one next spring though, depends on what wheel I eventually decide on for my 54 since I have a gorgeous original banjo (with 3 spoke ring) on it now. But if I do sell the OG batwing ring the price will be the current market value if not more, its an original period, regardless of the beautiful reproduction I already offer at a third less price, and regardless that both the original and my reproduction are exactly identical from what you can see when its mounted. Its how they mount to your wheel which is different, mine is simpler, works better, but is noticeably a different dished mount you can see when its removed from the wheel.

BUT, I'm purposely not advertising the hornrings at this time, even though they are now technically "available" for $875. In this case "available" is a relative term to the fact that how these get made is a true craft, its not the Wonka factory here. As such, the next batch of 6 are spoken for now, and the leadtime is lengthy, about 4-6 months depending on when its ordered and when I have the next deposits on 6 ($400 deposit each), which is my caster's minimum prepaid make quantity. Therefore I won't be taking new deposits until the spring though, but I will be putting one of these up on Ebay in Feb-Mar or so to see the response and interest in them.

I'm also only making perhaps a dozen a year of these max, anything over that and distracts other initiatives here (like split radios, etc etc), and this "shop" is purposely avoiding being anything close to a production environment. When the new shop gets built here early next year it only means we'll add different items, not increased quantities of what we now offer. We're doing things differently here, managing and balancing the business purposefully, and not flooding the market with anything.

Gary

RareAir Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:53 pm

Lance Gregory wrote: So are we back to the argument about split popouts again? Is the argument that mine are not real split popouts? If they are not, I would really like to see who has a real set because everyone else seems ti think they are originals. If anyone has pictures of true split popouts let me see them.

Matt Lantz (Buggen) has a set on his Beetle. I saw them at the Kelly Park event earlier this year.

RareAir Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:56 pm

53 0val wrote: Bret Yeger's '52 has "Split" pop outs. The car was featured in either the June or July 1997 issue of Hot VWs. You will notice the the pop outs do not have the outside rubber seal. The seal on "split" pop outs is on the inside and cannot be seen from the outside when the window is closed.

Brett's car was featured in the July '97 issue. That issue also featured Bill Collins' '51. That car single-handedly changed how a restoration should be done.

detroitjohnny Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:51 pm

Hey guys,

Here I am with my same question again....... My Zwitter is late December 1952 (-1-C437787-) build. What pop out windows would be correct for my car? The split ones that do not have the rubber showing, or the later 'oval' ones Bob is talking about?

I know I sound like a broken record, but I keep getting such conflicting information on what is Zwitter corrrect. Are there any books that deal with the odities of the Zwitter with accuracy??

Thanks guys,

john ammond

53 0val Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:03 pm

I would say that the Zwitter needs the "split" pop outs. As Gary mentioned, the early "oval" pop outs begin in '53........my guess would be in March with the introduction of the oval. Your best information would come from dated accessory catalogues. :?