TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type 4 tin removal????
mmcleod Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:24 am

I took out all the tin screws that I could see. Am I missing something? I got the 3 small pieces out(by the shroud) but the 2 over the block and the one in the back I can't figure out. Also I took out the 6 screws to the panel that hides the fuel tank and it still won't budge either. Hmmmmmmmm???Please help if you can.
Thanks,
Michael

DurocShark Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:43 am

Intake manifolds off? Foam seal off? Also, sometimes crap builds up in the corners covering screws. What intake? FI? Stock carbs? Other?

The tank door pulls out from the bottom and is often wedged in place pretty tightly. And there are hidden screws that we all miss the first time...

VWGirl Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:59 am

sounds like you are indeed missing a few screws :lol: clean off the engine tin to look for hidden ones... on the tank, look underneath the body for two more scres, there should be one on either side... they would be to the outside of the fuel tank strap bolts... it's very frustrating trying to remove that panel and not knowing those screws are there!

EZ Gruv Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:01 pm

There is at least one screw that threads up from the bottom. You might want to check that.

Duncwarw Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:20 pm

Yep, one each side up in the holes through the thing that passes for a frame rail.

The left big engine tin piece that covers that bank of cylinders is anchored at the back by being a sandwich of three pieces of tin held together by two screws. The right one should be easy.

This is all assuming, of course, that you don't have an upright fan engine in which case, I don't remember... :D

USMCbug Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:28 pm

If its an upright, then there are some screws on the backside that connect to the tins that cover the pr tubes.