TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Currently available NY State vanity plates heehee Page: 1, 2  Next
flyingCoyote Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:43 pm

You can check availability of vanity plates on the NYC DMV website...it's fun to play with, they show you what the plate would look like and you can order online.
https://corvus.dmv.state.ny.us/personalizedPlates/EmpChoosePlate.cfm
Here are some that are currently available (space would be a NY State shaped icon):

VWFREUDE
PUTTS ON
WASRBOXR
LEAKSOIL
SLOUPHIL
MINYRWAY

I'm not listing the many that aren't appropriate to a family friendly forum :twisted:

Miguel Arroyo Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:53 am

That is pretty cool. We have them here in Florida as well for a phenomenal fee (first year only).

Jeckler Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:11 am

Same in Georgia, except it's a phenomenal fee EVERY year!
I'm going YOM though, no fee.

cbr900racer Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:37 am

its like 35 bucks for one here...i got a letter saying my BUGNOUT idea was already in use :cry:

Chumley Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:13 am

50$ more than normal for personalized plates in Illinois plus more than normal every year at renewal. :roll:

Olde Volks Place Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:19 pm

In Ga. you can reregister an old plate on your car for the year of the car.
I have found a 55 Ga. plate that I reregistered for my 55 oval and it is better
than having that "antique"tag hanging on a old car.
Look into that at your local DMV.

MrBreeze Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:26 pm

Also available:

NOAGUA
NEINH20
FATCHICK
LOAFHOTL
NOHIPPIE
HIPPYKLR

VWsArent4Hippies Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:47 pm

Olde Volks Place wrote: In Ga. you can reregister an old plate on your car for the year of the car.
I have found a 55 Ga. plate that I reregistered for my 55 oval and it is better
than having that "antique"tag hanging on a old car.
Look into that at your local DMV.

In NC, you don't even have to do that. If your car is over 35 yrs old, you can run a Year Of Manufacture plate as long as you keep an up to date tag in the glove compartment. One word of advice if you do this though: make sure you print out the law and keep it with you. I got pulled over for having a "ficticious license plate" because the deputy didn't know the law.

Olde Volks Place Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Yes same thing in Ga. you take the old tag and your current tag to the dmv
the register both to the car and you put old tag on car and keep new one in car with the dmv paperwork.

VWsArent4Hippies Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:22 pm

Olde Volks Place wrote: Yes same thing in Ga. you take the old tag and your current tag to the dmv
the register both to the car and you put old tag on car and keep new one in car with the dmv paperwork.

That's what i'm saying, you don't even have to take the YOM plate to the DMV. I don't really see how it's a law, because if a cop needs to run your plates, they can't, they have to pull you over first.

Glenn Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:30 pm

cbr900racer Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:56 pm

i was going to do the antique plate thing, but changed my mind. they rejected my bugnout, but did give me my second choice 1BAD66. and the 35 bucks is on top of the normal registration price, and i think its like that every year.

69calibug Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:24 am

ROTBOX isn't taken yet :twisted:

I used to have one that said JETTA16V on my old car. Somehow, it only cost me about $10 more than I would have paid for a regular plate. I swapped it onto my Pontiac (legally) for the winter, and I used to get pulled over constantly by the local cops. They'd run the plate and let me go. I eventually ditched the plates before I had to pay for them again. I kept one as a souvenier :wink: I found 2 nice pairs of old blue NY plates at a garage sale for $10/pair, and I'll probably run those when I get classic insurance.

Enkiel Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:52 am

in Quebec, you cant have any of that fancy thing.

the best you can do is get lucky and have at the SAAQ (our DMV) find a plate available that fit what you're looking for...

and it has to be in the following pattern : XYZ 123

71VOTB Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I think plates referring to dripping oil would give VWs a bad rep. My VW is falling apart but it's never leaked a drop in all the time I've owned it. I've heard people on this very site say leaking oil is normal but I think they just never owned a properly maintained engine.

flyingCoyote Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Rebeccabeste wrote: I think plates referring to dripping oil would give VWs a bad rep. My VW is falling apart but it's never leaked a drop in all the time I've owned it. I've heard people on this very site say leaking oil is normal but I think they just never owned a properly maintained engine.
Yeah, I'd hate to be responsible for VWs getting a rep as oil drippers :-p

But hopefully by the time I register permanantly, that plate wouldn't be appropriate anymore.

SLOUPHIL is still a thought, since if I rebuild I'll go stock...

spoon Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:01 pm

QUESTION!

In California (or any other state for that matter)... let's say you found two really old plates that were not registered, could you then go and get them registered yourself or are they just dead plates? Thanks

Justin :wink:

69calibug Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 pm

It depends on the state. I can't remember if California started allowing black plates to be re-issued. In NY, if the plate number isn't currently in circulation, and the plates match the vehicle's year (for me it has to be a blue plate with a '69 sticker), I can register it. But only if I have antique insurance, through Haggarty or a similar company, and I'd have to fill out paperwork, send it into DMV and wait, etc. Typical of NY DMV to make everything a huge pain in the ass :?

Oldnslow Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:38 pm

spoon wrote: QUESTION!

In California (or any other state for that matter)... let's say you found two really old plates that were not registered, could you then go and get them registered yourself or are they just dead plates? Thanks

Justin :wink:

Here is a good website for info California YOM plates. Last year of eligibility for plates is 1962, at least as of now.

http://www.davesclp.com/

metaljim Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 pm

as far as brag tags go, when i drop my 1904 in, i want plates that say:

GRSDSHT