TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Teenagers see gasoline cars going obsolete by 2015 Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
mark tucker Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm

if I could of affored a car like my new one that was electrick eye wooda got it. Im still thinking about getting a electrick motorcycle.
quick story... :shock: way back when my last kid was around 3 I bought a new glass 37 ford body( about 4 feet long) I took the old barbie car the neibor threw away threw away the body, built a chassie and put the 37 body on it...and added 3 batterys instead of 1. oh the burn outs she could do with it. I think it would probably run around 35 mph.....saddley she outgrew it quickley and I gave it away. next up was my YZ 250....witch was ...too slow for her.but fun none the less. I havent a clue how she got the need for speed :roll:

Abscate Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:03 am

oprn wrote: There is still a legitimate place in our society for horses too. Outfitters and guides would be lost without them. Ranchers still have not found anything better for working cattle and there is a whole recreational industry around them.

Fossil fuel is here to stay in one form or another for a long time yet.

Horses taste like chicken, too.

oprn Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:13 am

Abscate wrote: oprn wrote: There is still a legitimate place in our society for horses too.

Horses taste like chicken, too.
The French people seem to like it but I haven't tried it... yet. :D

oprn Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:24 am

vwracerdave wrote: Splitdog wrote: Electric powered jet airliners. Discuss amongst yourselves....... :lol:
Fossil fuels will be around a long time.

Electric powered cruise ships or cargo ships transporting everything across the oceans? That will never happen either.

I do believe there may have been one solar powered man carrying aircraft successfully flown, in Australia if I recall, but it was a very flimsy very specialized light weight slow bird from the pictures I saw. It would not capable of much altitude or wind. Electric/nuclear may be possible in ships... Commercial airlines? Ha! Guess again!

oprn Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:39 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Splitdog wrote: Airliners require thrust- it is not merely the turning of a wheel, or propeller. Try getting thrust electronically. And if you did, it would require so much energy to spin the turbo or whatever, and the batteries required........not gonna happen in our lifetimes. Thanks for playing, though.

How lucky we are to have (airline experts) here😀
I am no airline expert but I have been watching and playing with electric powered model aircraft for 15 years now. The results of motor and battery innovations have yielded some very impressive results for sure but run times are still very short. The average is about 8 to 12 minutes. I have one powered glider that will do 20 minutes in calm conditions but that would drop off quickly if it was carrying a payload.

Many flying fields now are dominated by electrics because of noise/neighbor relation issues but now we have banks of portable powerplants thundering away at the flight line all day long recharging batteries burning up gasoline. Not sure if the net result is as positive as some think!

Chickensoup Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 pm

mark tucker wrote: if I could of affored a car like my new one that was electrick eye wooda got it. Im still thinking about getting a electrick motorcycle.
quick story... :shock: way back when my last kid was around 3 I bought a new glass 37 ford body( about 4 feet long) I took the old barbie car the neibor threw away threw away the body, built a chassie and put the 37 body on it...and added 3 batterys instead of 1. oh the burn outs she could do with it. I think it would probably run around 35 mph.....saddley she outgrew it quickley and I gave it away. next up was my YZ 250....witch was ...too slow for her.but fun none the less. I havent a clue how she got the need for speed :roll:

how does one outgrow a 250? my 100cc feels fast/skary as hell. sucker gets up to 50+ mph. but ive done carb and exhaust and head work tho. and 4 speeds. i guess with the bigger bikes they feel more stable. only one way to find out :D

anyways, back on topic :)

jspbtown Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:14 am

You might want to Google "Solar Impulse 2".

Two man crew. It can reach 39,000 feet and fly for days on only electricity generated from the sun.

Is it flimsy? Yes.....

It flew around the world.

For those who think certain things "will never be possible" I think you need to understand that 100 years ago it would not have been thought possible to fly around the globe using power from the sun already.

What might the next 100 years hold???? Do you really think we have discovered everything?

Ceckert64 Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Is Teleportation next? :lol:

Splitdog Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Ceckert64 wrote: Is Teleportation next? :lol:

\:D/

mukluk Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Ceckert64 wrote: Is Teleportation next? :lol:
Old news.
https://futurism.com/scientists-just-teleported-a-photon-from-earth-to-orbit-for-the-first-time

Splitdog Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:06 pm

mukluk wrote: Ceckert64 wrote: Is Teleportation next? :lol:
Old news.
https://futurism.com/scientists-just-teleported-a-photon-from-earth-to-orbit-for-the-first-time

Lol. Transport life. :wink:

mukluk Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Splitdog wrote: Lol. Transport life. :wink:
Gotta start small, give 'em time. :wink:

kpf Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm

mukluk wrote: Ceckert64 wrote: Is Teleportation next? :lol:
Old news.
I'm really confused about the journalists' use of the word "teleportation" here. The article describes the process as being able to communicate information across the two entangled photons. Since when is communication "teleportation"? I guess I'm expecting too much from journalists. :roll:

Splitdog Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:38 pm

There is a couple things God will never allow man to do.

Travel faster than the speed of light.
Time travel.
I'm going to add teleporting to that as well.

busdaddy Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:46 pm

A couple hundred years ago some said the same thing about flying or wireless communication, it may be a long way off, but you can't say it'll never happen.

YDBD Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:04 am

https://thenextweb.com/shift/2020/09/10/swedes-boa...satlantic/

ZENVWDRIVER Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:45 am

… had this 2007 Zenn electric, by Feel Good Cars, made in Canada - was prairie blue - don't know 'bout all electric yet - gimmie a nice new Honda Accord Hybrid… z

Ulu Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:58 am

Teenagers predicted the end of war in 1969. I was 14.
We were working with limited data. GIGO ya know....

Today, I can't take all the anti gasoline bias, but I can't take the bad air either.

BUT, I think gas cars can be improved in ways people aren't thinking about. Look at how far they've come since the Muscle Car era?

Elon Musk said engineers waste time perfecting things they shouldn't be doing at all. They need to look sideways. Engineers looked sideways, and the impossible electric starter became possible. The balloon tire, the radial tire, the self-energizing brake. . . .

There's a thousand times this was so in the car biz. Why should it change now?

Zundfolge1432 Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:11 am

You won’t get very far with forward progressive type thinking here. The little gang of mossbacks will argue for pages and pages until you give up :D Everything becomes political and then it devolves into bullshit, just another mess for Everett to clean up. Do your own thing lead by example, fuck what other people think.

bigdog1962 Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:25 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Do your own thing lead by example, fuck what other people think.

Here's a good example

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149769