TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Longblock Advice
PDUBYA Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:51 am

Has anyone bought a longblock from importmotor.com? Just wondering what quality they give. I will be home on leave in a few weeks, and would like to have a quality 40 horse long block for my 62 Bug so my son can drive it this summer without worry while I'm gone.

Thanks

EverettB Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:33 am

I have no personal experience but I found this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80087

PDUBYA Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Thanks EverettB.

TEXABUS Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:05 am

I just shipped a longblock back with less than 300 miles on it. The engine did not have good oil pressure from the very beginning; pressure was good at start up but after three miles of driving it fell to 20-25 psi. I replaced it with a high capacity pump and discovered the old pump (in my opinion) should not have been used. At this time I discovered that the oil was full of metal. I installed the new pump anyway. I then cut open the filter and found the filter had a lot of crud and metal flakes. I have pictures of the oil pump and filter element if anybody would like to see them.
Before I sent the engine back I did a little troubleshooting. The end play was at .013 (with a little extra push with a screwdriver I could get it over .02). I did a leak down check and #2 had excessive blowby.
Now that they have the engine back I am being told that the heat tab was melted and the piston have been overheated. I have full gauges on my bus and the head temp never got over 400 and the oil temp never went over 190. They are also telling me that the end play is only .007 and that is within spec. They cannot tell me why I had bad oil pressure and offered to put the engine back together with new P#C for $300.
I declined their offer and asked them to send the disassembled engine back; which I will inspect for why there is low oil pressure and find the source of the meteal in the oil. I probably need to also check CR and measure everything that has a spec amd let the community know my findings. I do not have faith in there abilities as engine builders.
I should have built my own engine but didn't because of lack of time and shop space.
I will post the findings of my inspection at a later date

PDUBYA Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Sorry about your bad experience TEXABUS, but thanks for the info.