TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
rtroy Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 pm

PeteSC wrote: Thanks for that write up! That mat does look excellent installed in there.

Yes, thanks for the thanks, and also to John Moxon, boinkffd, and the person who thanked me privately... Yall are kind.

And yes, they look great! ...And I immediately soiled them slightly by getting in and driving the car! ... THEN I remembered I have a pad of paper floor mats - like the pads I used back in grade and high school, many of you, too, I presume - which read "3000 mile oil change with Penzoil", so I tore off a couple from the pad and installed them! :D

PeteSC wrote: In a few days once fully cured, and if you're so inclined, please give the top of your mat a *gentle* pull near the adhesive strip and let us know if it feels like it would take a lot of shear force to remove it, or if it seems that it would separate from the bulkhead easily.

Hmmm... That's a definite MAYBE!

PeteSC wrote: So this looks like what worked for you:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08001-Weatherstrip-Gasket-Adhesive-5/dp/B000HTNNDA

Yep, that's the stuff.

PeteSC wrote: I have a tube at home of the black 3M 08011 that boinkffd posted that I used for the door pilar seals that I was considering trying, but if we know the yellow works I'm not sure I want to experiment with something else.

The black probably works too but it's definitely a different material. My guess is that the black stuff would probably be harder to remove, but it's only a guess.

EDIT: Just on the phone with Luis and he's confirmed that the black version also adheres to the footwell wall mats, so looks like we have choice!

Braukuche Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Richard did you do any prep to the backside before you glued?

boinkffd Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I’m curious if there is a mold release that would need to be wiped before gluing? Maybe mild soap and water on the back side. On my WW mats and or guy who we don’t speak of mats, I would use Clorox wipes to clean them. Thoughts on cleaning the mats if the get dirty?

Geoff

Braukuche Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:51 am

boinkffd wrote: I’m curious if there is a mold release that would need to be wiped before gluing? Maybe mild soap and water on the back side. On my WW mats and or guy who we don’t speak of mats, I would use Clorox wipes to clean them. Thoughts on cleaning the mats if the get dirty?

Geoff

That's why I asked. The backside is slippery which made me think it has residue from some release agent which would cause a problem for long term adhesion.
I ended up using a solvent for removing wax and grease and scuffing up the back aggressively with 120 grit sand paper and then used contact cement. So far so good.

lajs57 Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:24 am

boinkffd wrote: I’m curious if there is a mold release that would need to be wiped before gluing? Maybe mild soap and water on the back side. On my WW mats and or guy who we don’t speak of mats, I would use Clorox wipes to clean them. Thoughts on cleaning the mats if the get dirty?

Geoff

ANSWER

The REAR SIDE of the bulkhead mat DOES NOT have any release agent. The release agent is used only in the FRONT side.

I got the 3M BLACK SUPER WEATHERSTRIP AND GASKET ADHESIVE 3 days ago and tested the adhesion to the material with excellent results, WITHOUT scuffing up the back. I asked Richard and he did not have to do any scuffing. Cleaning the surface with acetone will help to make sure there is no grease, but I did not have to do it. Make sure to use gloves when using this product.

Here is the link to buy this in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip...sive+black

What it's important is that the area you are working on remains set on place after been in contact with both surfaces for at least 20 minutes. The method Richard describes is the way to go: use a set of at least 3 strong magnets to maintain the section you are working on place before moving to the next section.

Regarding using the clear/yellow or black 3M adhesive, it appears to me that both will work well, but I have not tested the clear/yellow option myself.

Please post any question you have or if you have other tips to follow.

Thank you!

Luis

lajs57 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

KEY FOBS ARRIVED!

I just received the first batch of KARMANN Key Fobs!

The special made snap buttons are just like the original!
Here are some pictures:

Key inserted in small ring:

Rotating gold ring to insert ring and key, in a way key will fit completely in:

Pulling strap and pushing key & ring:

Ready to put in your pocket!:

I'm going now to the post office now to ship more sets from last week!

I'll prepare a post before I leave to Mexico in a couple of days 8) :wink:

Luis

lajs57 Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 am

KARMANN Card Holder!

The Package from my sister also included a sample of a Karmann Card Holder! :lol:
It is very cool! When you pull the strap the cards come out, then you push them in and the strap goes in!

Well, I have to go as I need to start making today's set after i'm back from the post office!

Luis

Tall Bloke Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 pm

.............Speechless ..............-Fantastic.

John Moxon Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:07 pm

I concur...got my mat set this afternoon too. :)

rtroy Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Hey Gang,

not much time for more right now but I just noticed that there are TWO DIFFERENT black weatherstrip adhesives cited in this thread!

To be sure, we ONLY have confirmed, with Luis using one of those, and me using a different color of the same stuff that TWO 3M products work and the odd-man-out is still unknown.

NOTE PLEASE that the one Luis used (in black) and the one I used (in yellow) BOTH have the word SUPER in their names, while the third one, the other black one, DOES NOT include the word SUPER. ... I don't know what the Super means but there's some chance it might be important.

Just sharing an observation.

Meanwhile, GO LUIS(!!) with those new products!

BY THE WAY, Luis is able to do this because The Karmann Ghia Club of North America, of which I remain president, has the legal right to use VW and Karmann logos, and so these products are being created via the auspices of KGCNA. ... Luis is well aware and was supposed to share that fact with everyone or else he might get in trouble with VW (who now owns Karmann and its logos).

Regards...

Braukuche Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:42 pm

rtroy wrote: Hey Gang,

not much time for more right now but I just noticed that there are TWO DIFFERENT black weatherstrip adhesives cited in this thread!

To be sure, we ONLY have confirmed, with Luis using one of those, and me using a different color of the same stuff that TWO 3M products work and the odd-man-out is still unknown.

NOTE PLEASE that the one Luis used (in black) and the one I used (in yellow) BOTH have the word SUPER in their names, while the third one, the other black one, DOES NOT include the word SUPER. ... I don't know what the Super means but there's some chance it might be important.

Just sharing an observation.

Meanwhile, GO LUIS(!!) with those new products!

BY THE WAY, Luis is able to do this because The Karmann Ghia Club of North America, of which I remain president, has the legal right to use VW and Karmann logos, and so these products are being created via the auspices of KGCNA. ... Luis is well aware and was supposed to share that fact with everyone or else he might get in trouble with VW (who now owns Karmann and its logos).

Regards...

:roll:

boinkffd Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Great products on the Key Fob and card holder. I want one of each.

boinkffd Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 am

I found my 3m product and it is the Black Super Weatherstrip and gasket adhesive that was used on my build. Sorry for the wrong info. This can be purchased at any of the Auto Parts chain stores.

boinkffd Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm

FedEx delivered an early Christmas present from Luis today. Will post some extra installation tips that worked for me on instLling the bulkhead.

John Moxon Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:15 am

Well there seemed to be a couple of hours between rain-showers so I thought I'd go out and start the installation of the side and tunnel mats.

I already had a pot of "Evo Stick Impact Adhesive", a stick-all adhesive here in the UK that has worked on the carpet set I had in the Ghia and lots of other rubbers/plastics etc.

It didn't work, so all the UK Lowlight owners don't waste your time, as has already been said go for 3M Black Super Rubber Weatherstrip Seal adhesive. You'll find it on EBay UK here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Rubber-Weatherstrip-...SwCj5antC5

boinkffd Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I have to go back and do some touch up in areas that seem to sag and work in the area that covers the Hi/Low beam switch wires.

Install when pretty well and I used the magnet method. I ended up using some 3m Hi-Strenght spray contact adhesive for the bulkhead. I needed something that would give complete coverage to the backside and metal.
All others glued pieces we glued with the 3m super weatherstripping and gasket adhesive.

I lined up the bulkhead mat on the steering colum grommet, fuel lever and hi/low beam switch. Then started with the passenger side. The spray adhesive was applied in 3 light coats then left for a few mins until tacky. This stuff sets up quick to get the mat alighted and in place fast.

I did not glue down the tunnel mat at this time and on my build seems to lay better on top of the Bulkhead mat.

Braukuche Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Looks fantastic. But how are you going to keep those beautiful light mats clean!?

lajs57 Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you for sharing your work!

Every detail in your car is so beautiful!

Luis

boinkffd Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:38 pm

Braukuche wrote: Looks fantastic. But how are you going to keep those beautiful light mats clean!?

I wonder if Luis will make an interior protection kit like the plastic covers for sofas?

boinkffd Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm

lajs57 wrote: Thank you for sharing your work!

Every detail in your car is so beautiful!

Luis

Thank you for the compliment and taking on the monumental task of making the mats. I started the restoration in 2006 and completed in 2011. The car was not 100% correct until yesterday when the mat set was installed.