TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
calexican Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 pm

While preparing my bulkhead for the new mat, I noticed some small holes that may have been used originally for added support.






Iím tempted not to glue mine down and use these holes with a small self tapping screw... here is my mat just sitting in without glue or screws... itís fantastic!!



Before



After



Thanks again Luis!! Couldnít be happier with the purchase! Will post more pictures when I get the sills installed.
Happy Holidays everyone!!!

John Moxon Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm

calexican wrote:
Before



After



Thanks again Luis!! Couldnít be happier with the purchase! Will post more pictures when I get the sills installed.
Happy Holidays everyone!!!

'Tis a thing of beauty John...I'm at the same stage and thought process concerning glue and small support self-tapping screws.

I think I'll also have to make a second cut for the Choke Cable as I'm using the original 60 year old outer cable casing with a new inner wire. I've already tried to retrieve the original choke casing from the tunnel and no dice. It will be a simple cut from the mat choke hole to the steering shaft hole.

Happy Christmas to you and your family too John...and everyone else too of course. :)

boinkffd Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:18 pm

I was able to get the choke cable pushed in and past the hole in the mats as they will give a bit, therefore not having to remove from the carburetor .

boinkffd Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Just placed an order for the key fob and card holder. Have a great holiday and thank you again.

lajs57 Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 am

boinkffd wrote: Just placed an order for the key fob and card holder. Have a great holiday and thank you again.

Hi Geoff,

I'm in Mexico now, in my return I will send you at least the Key Fob, and i'll try to have some of the card holders ready, as the one I had was a sample.
Thank you,
Luis

John Moxon Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:28 am

I've just received the "3m Black Super" in the post this afternoon so I whipped the two seats out and laid the tunnel and two side mats down.

First of all...it's not necessary to punch out the Heater Knob roll-pin to remove it. The rubber Tunnel mat will stretch sufficiently to accommodate the knob.

The only part of the Tunnel mat that needs to be glued is on the driver's side alongside the pedals...just for safety's sake.

I used very little glue on the sill mats. Just a thin bead for the vertical side of the heater channels and corresponding area of mat...spread out the glue a little with a spatula...left for a couple of minutes...offered the mat to the unglued area under the kick-plate and smoothed down the mat to the heater channel contour. Easy.

If the weather is dry on Monday I'll finish off with the bulkhead mat. :D

lajs57 Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 pm

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Thank you ALL for your support this year!
I made and send over 50% of the orders, and will continue as soon as I am back from Mexico, a little later than I expected, but every one will have their mats!

Great news for RHD owners:

The RHD BULKHEAD MAT is available NOW!









The day before I left New Hampshiere, I prepared and completed the mold to make RHD bulkhead mats!
There are four colors available: Brown, Gray, Green and Black.

The original commitment list included 5 members that wanted this mat. I will honor that they were part of the original group and make a special coupon code for them so they can have a similar price as the LHD mats. Those member are: ghia57(x2)/redkg/bob-ob/Kiwighia68/Srecko(x2). Please choose thr RHD option when placing your order in the store @ www.lowlightwerks.com

Happy Holidays to ALL of you!

Luis

Srecko Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks Luis, any idea when the RHD lower light mats may be made?

Merry Xmas and Happy New year for you and your family. What a wonderful year for you and all of us as Ghia owners. Looking forward to when you have the numbers to do the lower light RHD floor mats.

rtroy Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:09 pm

John Moxon wrote: I think I'll also have to make a second cut for the Choke Cable as I'm using the original 60 year old outer cable casing with a new inner wire. I've already tried to retrieve the original choke casing from the tunnel and no dice. It will be a simple cut from the mat choke hole to the steering shaft hole.

Back in the 1980s when I was a greenhorn I installed a new cable into my Ivory 1959 KG coupe. I figured greasing it to ensure it would be easy to remove was a good idea. Some years later I decided to remove the cable for whatever reason and found I had inadvertently glued it in. ... An automotive mentor of mine remarked on hearing my predicament that one has to be very careful when choosing a grease for use with rubbers and plastics, so I learned the hard way. ... Just a guess; someone else made the same mistake I did on your car, John!

John Moxon wrote: it's not necessary to punch out the Heater Knob roll-pin to remove it. The rubber Tunnel mat will stretch sufficiently to accommodate the knob.

...Nor is it necessary to stretch the tunnel mat over the knob! Simply unthread the knerled nut that the assembly attaches to the tunnel with and then unthread the large "square thread" shaft, knob and all! Then, lay your mat in, and rethread the square thread and complete by tightening up the knerled nut! :D

lajs57 wrote: The RHD BULKHEAD MAT is available NOW!

Wow, that's amazing, Luis! The images look great! ALMOST wish I had a right-hand-drive example so I could buy that mat! :lol:

Srecko wrote: Thanks Luis, any idea when the RHD lower light mats may be made?

He previously said he was making and shipping in the order the orders were placed, so presumably he'll be making them after all the other orders are processed, second week or so of January, I'd guess.

John Moxon Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:54 am

Got some time this afternoon to complete the fitting Luis's superb mat set. If I tell you it was pretty easy then you must know...it was easy, this sort of thing doesn't usually come naturally to me...I'm a soft-skinned artist in reality. ;)



Looking back at Richard's fitting instructions I don't have much to add. The fitting aids...the reserve lever, the high/low beam foot switch, the steering column and the RHD steering column molding will ensure everything lines-up pretty well. I glued the mat to the RHD steering column molding like Richard, let it set and worked outwards to the passenger side first. You'll get the feel for it, pull the mat to the top of the bulkhead, glue a little and let it drape naturally. If it ruckles here and there add some glue and smooth it out. As I say, you'll soon get the feel for it



The side mat slips conveniently into the void under the door kick plate. I only glued a one inch strip along the side where you see the 5 magnets hold it in place for 20 minutes while the glue set.



The only sad thing is most people who look at my Ghia's interior won't realise the rarity, the originality or the huge amount of work that Luis has put into these works of art. That's OK the important ones are the ones who do know. ;)

The aussie Trimmer Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:33 am

John Moxon wrote: Got some time this afternoon to complete the fitting Luis's superb mat set. If I tell you it was pretty easy then you must know...it was easy, this sort of thing doesn't usually come naturally to me...I'm a soft-skinned artist in reality. ;)



Looking back at Richard's fitting instructions I don't have much to add. The fitting aids...the reserve lever, the high/low beam foot switch, the steering column and the RHD steering column molding will ensure everything lines-up pretty well. I glued the mat to the RHD steering column molding like Richard, let it set and worked outwards to the passenger side first. You'll get the feel for it, pull the mat to the top of the bulkhead, glue a little and let it drape naturally. If it ruckles here and there add some glue and smooth it out. As I say, you'll soon get the feel for it



The side mat slips conveniently into the void under the door kick plate. I only glued a one inch strip along the side where you see the 5 magnets hold it in place for 20 minutes while the glue set.



The only sad thing is most people who look at my Ghia's interior won't realise the rarity, the originality or the huge amount of work that Luis has put into these works of art. That's OK the important ones are the ones who do know. ;)
John, Mate, now all you need is an authentic interior, Please can I do one for you??? it will accentuate the those fantastic floor mats better than the 63 style trim.

John Moxon Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 am

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
John, Mate, now all you need is an authentic interior, Please can I do one for you??? it will accentuate the those fantastic floor mats better than the 63 style trim.

It's a dilemma I've faced since I've owned "Betty's Baby" (11 years now) and I still have to face my principal of "Perfect Imperfection"...do I or don't I?? :?

Tall Bloke Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:02 am

Do it John, I just need the rest to go around the Trimtec interior and Luis mats.

boinkffd Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am

Do it.

John Moxon Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:36 am

Remember I am the second owner. I feel I have to respect Betty's 49 years of love and commitment to this car where the choices to keep her "Baby" on the road were few. Parts were sourced from wherever they could be found...it's a survivor, not a correct museum piece. :)

..anyway the mats are lovely.

kiwighia68 Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:56 am

John Moxon wrote: Remember I am the second owner. I feel I have to respect Betty's 49 years of love and commitment to this car where the choices to keep her "Baby" on the road were few. Parts were sourced from wherever they could be found...it's a survivor, not a correct museum piece. :)

..anyway the mats are lovely.

And so they are. Two points: If I had a lowlight I would want to make it as original as possible. Kevin's interiors allow us in our (Ghia) world the opportunity to do it just as Luis' mats do.

I think Luis has me down for a set of RHD lowlight mats but my car is a '68. I have to send him a PM to correct that, but in the meantime: Would I have to remove the carpets over the tunnel and against the bulkhead to install the mats? (Probably a silly question.)

sputnick60 Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:35 pm

The 66 model year had rubber mats down to just four pieces. The bulkhead, tunnel and sill sections had carpet. I remember removing those in my restoration. I think 68 would have had the same arrangement.
Nicholas

kiwighia68 Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:51 pm

sputnick60 wrote: The 66 model year had rubber mats down to just four pieces. The bulkhead, tunnel and sill sections had carpet. I remember removing those in my restoration. I think 68 would have had the same arrangement.
Nicholas

Thanks Nicholas. I had to tear down the original carpet in the sections you mention when I started my '68 RHD restoration. I'm definitely up for a set of the floor mats for my Ghia - when the RHD set for later models comes out.

calexican Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:12 am

John Moxon wrote: The aussie Trimmer wrote:
John, Mate, now all you need is an authentic interior, Please can I do one for you??? it will accentuate the those fantastic floor mats better than the 63 style trim.

It's a dilemma I've faced since I've owned "Betty's Baby" (11 years now) and I still have to face my principal of "Perfect Imperfection"...do I or don't I?? :?

Car looks great John, I wouldnít change a thing. You have a great story there with Betty, and a connection with her as well, which makes your driving experience all the more special Iím sure.

The aussie Trimmer Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 pm

John Moxon wrote: Remember I am the second owner. I feel I have to respect Betty's 49 years of love and commitment to this car where the choices to keep her "Baby" on the road were few. Parts were sourced from wherever they could be found...it's a survivor, not a correct museum piece. :)

..anyway the mats are lovely.

AH, but when Betty came to replace the panels and seat covers there was no one who could put it back to original, No original insert cloth, No original door panel and rear side panels. Betty would have just taken what she was told was available at the time.
She would be over the moon to know her little car was refurbished to what it was when she drove it out of the showroom all those years ago and would have loved those original reproduction rubber matting too.

Actually I would be interested to see what's under those covers; might be a big surprise to all or its the Shabby remnants of the original covers.

Betty would be pleased that you are looking after the old girl and bringing her back to her original condition.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group