TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How many VWs would have gone to Africa?
10mm Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:27 pm

I just got back from a trip to West Africa. I only saw one beetle, but it got me thinking about what might be waiting to be discovered in Africa. I thought I would appeal to the knowledge base on this forum. We've probably all read about the 'African Heb', I can just picture some Kubel tucked away in Northern Africa somewhere.

Which African countries would be the most likely places to look?
What sorts of VWs might one expect to find?
Were there regular exports there? If so, starting when?

DDub Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 pm

There were splits built in South Africa, not sure where the factory was. I knew of one African built '52 split that was RHD.

52stdrhd Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:39 am

VW started exporting RHD splits to South Africa in 1951, for assembly at Uitenhage in the eastern Cape, where the factory still is active today producing Golfs amongst others. I guess perhaps 1000 splits were assembled there. About 300,000 beetles were made in South Africa till 1979. RHD splits seem to have been exported directly from Germany to Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) - around 200 in 51 / 52. I own a 3rd January 1952 blue Standard RHD, one of the Rhodesian splits.[/img]

John Moxon Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:32 am

Whoops

What I find odd is that VW exported RHD Splits to South Africa and Ireland but none to the UK. Anyone know why?

johnshenry Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 am

Perhaps "Germany" wasn't real popular in the UK in the late 40s, early 50s...

Just a theory..

52stdrhd Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:30 am

I think that John is correct about anti-German sentiments in the UK. However, certain political elements in South Africa were pro-German before and during the war, a situation which I believe may also have applied in Ireland. So, not surprisingly, the first two VW assembly plants outside of Germany were built in Ireland and SA. Mercedes Benz also started production in SA during the early 50's, along with DKW and Borgward a bit later in the 50's to early 60's.

52stdrhd Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting well-known VW historian Mr John Lemon:

"To put the Volkswagen story in South Africa into perspective one really has to go back to 1946. In that year a franchise agreement was signed between the Studebaker Export Corporation of South Bend Indiana USA and South African company Industrial and Commercial Holdings for the assembly and distribution of Studebaker cars and commercial vehicles. South African Motor Assemblers and Distributors ( S.A.M.A.D.) was formed the same year. A site for the Factory was chosen on the outskirts of Uitenhage, the foundations being laid in April 1947.

The agreement and subsequent completion of the factory early in 1949, set up the infrastructure required for the assembly of vehicles from different manufacturers in order to make the factory economically viable. In that year an agreement was signed with Austin Motors of England for the assembly of Austin’s in Uitenhage and towards the end of 1950 negotiations were started between S.A.M.A.D. and Volkswagenwerk with a view to assembling the Volkswagen sedan in Uitenhage ( the name “Beetle” was not yet official ).

Even though no concrete agreement had yet been entered into between the two parties, a fully built-up Volkswagen was dispatched to S.A.M.A.D. on the 28th of March 1951. The agreement was eventually signed in Uitenhage in July. Present were S.A.M.A.D.’s Managing Director, Mel Brooks, Baron Klaus von Oertzen, VW’s representative in S.A. and Dr. Heinz Nordhoff, head of Volkswagenwerk.

On the 27th of July a second fully assembled Volkswagen was sent to Uitenhage. Amazingly this historic vehicle, still fitted with its original engine, has survived till today and belongs to Dr. Johan Van Rensburg of Kimberley

After the signing of the agreement in July, things moved pretty quickly and on the 31st of August 1951 the first Volkswagen came off the production line in Uitenhage.

Volkswagenwerk insisted on setting up a dealer network for spares and sales, almost in that order and the last four months of 1951 saw 290 cars sold". 1952 = 575 and in 1953 = 474 beetles sold

SAMAD VW's had distinctive ID plates, as shown by a friend's beautiful low mileage totally original 57 RHD oval. Splits had their SAMAD ID plates attached to the left front door pillar.

Andrew Scogings
Type IIB Std RHD

John Moxon Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:13 am

52stdrhd wrote: I think that John is correct about anti-German sentiments in the UK. However, certain political elements in South Africa were pro-German before and during the war, a situation which I believe may also have applied in Ireland. So, not surprisingly, the first two VW assembly plants outside of Germany were built in Ireland and SA. Mercedes Benz also started production in SA during the early 50's, along with DKW and Borgward a bit later in the 50's to early 60's.

There's an element of truth in the anti-German sentiment. It doesn't however explain why other mainland European Countries embraced the VW and a country that had a very hands-on involvement in the resurgance of the Volkswagen had no import agreements. Strange, were there import restrictions at that time. I'll have to do a Google search :?

coad Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:18 am

As I recall the UK had rather severe import restrictions after WWII. In an effort to defend their currency reserves they made the importation of foreign goods very expensive.

Even companies that did export to the UK we forced to keep the money they earned in the UK which would have been the last thing VW would have wanted since they were so hungry for currency themselves. This went on till at least the mid 1950's.

South Africa would have been a priority country for VW to export to since those sales would generate South African currency which could be used to purchase something VW needed in the worst way--chromium, and South Africa was the leading producer of that metal.

52stdrhd Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:37 am

I disagree that Cr was the main reason that VW set up shop so soon in SA - Ireland had no natural resources like that (apart from Zn which really only developed in the 60's) and pro-German sentiment clearly was important. VW didn't really need Cr - mostly they needed Al and Mg as well as Fe. SA also had severe import restrictions like the UK, as shown by VW imports which were hampered until 1956 when they really started to move upwards in SA.

RichOakley Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 pm

I've always believed that it was mainly due to the strong anti-German feeling, that VW did not see the UK as a viable market for so many years following WWII. There are many first-hand accounts of British military personnel stationed in Germany, bringing their VWs home during mid 1947- 1950 and the cars being vandalised/spat at/owners insulted.
The high rate of import duty on foreign goods at the time almost certainly played a large role in the whole story.
The fact that Ireland remained neutral during WWII meant that it was an ideal 'test platform' for selling the VW to a Western European, English speaking nation in the very late 40's/early 50's.