TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next
hillmotorsports Sat May 27, 2017 5:36 am

Jim
Is that a carbon shift tube?

SoCal67Volks Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

hillmotorsports wrote: Jim
Is that a carbon shift tube?
Paul,
Yes things were just too crowded and there was no way the stock shift tube would squeeze in. Even with the 1/2" diameter carbon fiber shift rod I had some trimming to do.

Singerdude Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Damn I wish we would be allowed to register custom made frames here. SoCal67Volks yours looks AWESOME. From a safety and regulations standpoint it doesn't make sense. i would have way more confidence in beating the snot out of that than a cut/welded stock one that endured 45 years of abuse.

hillmotorsports Sun May 28, 2017 3:40 am

Singerdude
You need to adjust your perspective.....
If you think along the lines of of the Meyers Tow'd you can make a new frame similar to the frame here but utilize the rear suspension/torsion tube/transmission mount section of the VW frame. Now you still have an original, oem VW chassis number on a new and improved frame.
Not sure how much different the regs are in Quebec....

YDBD Sun May 28, 2017 6:06 am

Out cruising the buggy with the bike trailer on a gorgeous day in Bavaria..

Singerdude Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 pm

hillmotorsports wrote: Singerdude
You need to adjust your perspective.....
If you think along the lines of of the Meyers Tow'd you can make a new frame similar to the frame here but utilize the rear suspension/torsion tube/transmission mount section of the VW frame. Now you still have an original, oem VW chassis number on a new and improved frame.
Not sure how much different the regs are in Quebec....

Quebec has probably the strictest laws in CAN in respect to custom built cars but the lousiest, least enforced laws for regular cars... You see people on the roads with crapped out mid-90's Sunfire rustmobiles rolling undisturbed. But custom builders have to jump through endless hoops or sometimes bend the laws a bit to get their cars registered. Bureaucratic idiocy...

For sure there are workarounds like what you suggested, I not a fabricator by any stretch of the imagination so my results would be worlds away from a bought trick chassis from Airkewld or others...

hillmotorsports Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Singerdude
Dave Barrett of Manxchassis (Arizona, not far from Las Vegas NV) would be my 1st choice but Berrien Buggy in PA could also build a tube chassis with an oem VW torsion/suspension/transmission mount with the serial number unmolested.
It might be worth your while to call either or both and discuss this directly with them.

Singerdude Mon May 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Oh I'm not in need for a chassis, my buggy is complete. But seeing as it now has a rather lively 2276 in the back and I'm pushing it pretty hard on very twisty roads. I'm pretty sure I'm outside of the driving parameters that these things were originally engineered for. I'm also considering Turbo-ing it. Add to that the fact that a 45 years old chassis surely must have some sort of metal fatigue. A nice tube chassis with coilovers on all corners would be confidence inspiring and would add a lot of "trickness" factor. But if I ever start a buggy from scratch I will surely keep your ideas in mind :-)

MrGoodtunes Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 am

Replaced my buggy's rear window with a clean new piece of clear plexiglass:

Built its frame using window moulding from a VW Vanagon about 3 decades ago. Original plexi had yellow'd and micro stress crack'd; it was getting hard to see thru.

911pickup Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:55 am

I finally got my Thing off the lift and running properly. I've decided to drive my Thing this summer and save my dune buggy project for the winter.

Storing my buggy this way gives me more room in my shop. More room means I now have room for another project. :D

motoRAT Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 am

still working on the shell

motoRAT Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 pm

new dash and "tailgate"

cj92345 Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:50 pm

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1662891.jpg[/
Picked up wheels

SBD Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 pm

cj92345 wrote:
Picked up wheels Fixed it for you! 8)

oprn Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:30 am

I ran into a snag on my new engine build, out of time to sort it out with all that is on our plate this summer so back in went the old tired 1600 DP with it's Kadrons and all their issues. Sorting out some details so we can drive it for the summer. Wiring yesterday and break adjustment today...

cj92345 Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am

thanks SBD!

motoRAT Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:11 am

finally, the fiber is ready for paint :shock:

oprn Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am

I finally solved all the electrical issues I (and the previous 2 owners since 1976 no doubt) have been having. The original builder used the stock Bug wiring harness and fuse panel. No end of chasing electrical problems with lights etc. Then it dawned on me in the middle of the night that the fuse box including all the original ground connections were mounted on fiberglass!

I ran a ground wire from the fuse panel mounting bracket down to one of the master cylinder mounting bolts and... Bingo! All the problems evaporated!

motoRAT Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:54 am

And I've done the controversial raptor :twisted:

not bad, not bad at all

oprn Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:31 am

Aw man! After all that work I was hoping it would be shiny.

Anyway, good job and enjoy!