TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: engine rebuild help
51deluxe Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:49 pm

I am rebuilding an original 36hp motor and it has no numbers on it so I want to stamp it with the correct numbers. anyone out there have a set of these numbers that they would loan me to stamp this motor. I would greatly appreciate it. hope everyone is doing well.

Tim :D

coolairX2 Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Joe Ruiz will stamp a case for you.
I was going to do this with my unstamped case but decided to leave it unnumbered. I don't recall what he was charging but around $100 tickles some neurons. Not many people out there with the correct stamping die's and even fewer who would loan them out.

-Craig

EverettB Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 am

I personally think restamping the numbers is fraud.

And blank cases are cooler. 8)

wolfsburgvw Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:19 pm

hi everett are you the same everett that was bidding on the 51 split bug broucher on german ebay,steve. :D

coolairX2 Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:39 pm

It certainly can be used for fraudulent purposes if you were going to pass off the engine as original. There are other ways to determine if the engine is orginal 25hp engine other than the numbers. The number platform is different and the oil filler screw is not on a 51 25hp engine. There are a few other ways as well to indentify a 25hp engine.
Of course Joe also will fix the issues mentioned with a little machine work. Perfectly fine if you are going to be honest with any purchasers of the car but it is a really a low live move if you are trying to lie..

-Craig

sconord Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:40 am

I second that. No Number is way cooler. I have not seen a case without a number.

I do not think the guy wanting to stamp the case it trying to committ fraud in any way. I think they just want to make it look more original.

I still vote, No numbers is nicer

johnshenry Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:22 am

I have a no number 25hp case that I will use for my '51. Was either that or a '51 bus engine case.... that would be so not right.....

51deluxe Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:10 pm

I am in no way trying to commit fraud to anyone as i dont plan to ever sell my 51 and I have had it since 1992 and I am the 3rd owner. I just for my personal reason want to make it as original looking to make me happy thats all. hope everyone is doing well and thanks for the input on this.

Tim :D

p horvath Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:01 pm

i had a 63 bus with a blank engine case. i was going to stamp the case with the correct engine number for my bus. too bad i sold the bus.