TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Stanagon Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 pm

I scored this nice OG upholstery Carmel middle seat for $100. I basically bought it sight unseen after answering a classified ad on another (much smaller) VW bus website. The former owner of the seat had it stashed in the basement of a big old family store that he was clearing out. Most of the inventory sold on eBay, but they figured the seat was just too big to sell it that way and have to ship it. A fellow club member encouraged him to list it on our website.

The seat came out of the bus that his father used for deliveries, etc. back in the day. The bus was long gone but the seat survived nicely in the dark basement (for 40-some years). I was so inspired by how nice the seat was that I went out and found a proper bus to put it in; my '61 'Pond' Mango.

I've had a few other killer deals come along over the past few years, including a '61 Deluxe middle seat and a '67 Standard with a very complete and very $aleable interior. These all basically were just a result of being in the right place at the right time and moving quickly once a deal was discovered.

Fun stuff that keeps me in 'the hunt' whenever possible.

campingbox Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 pm

[email protected] wrote: buseric nice ride i like the colors.
I found my late 55 built 56 westfalia for 500 in local want Ad a few years back.

That was pricey for '86.

Andrew Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 am

Volks66Wagen wrote: the fellow i bought the bus from was super nice, and helped me load the bus onto the tow dolly.

Dave is a great guy. Kinda keeps to himself, but very cool to hang out with. I owe him big for all the crap he's done for me. :lol:

earlywesty Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:15 am

Quote: buseric nice ride i like the colors.
I found my late 55 built 56 westfalia for 500 in local want Ad a few years back.

Thanks jmp, Your bus is kick ass.... Damn do I want an OG spring frame westy.....Not too many of them up here.... I did meet a guy with an absolutely amazing one-owner '60 SO23 though this summer. This van had 38,000 miles and was a total time capsule... It had almost everything (not sure about the Mauser). He wasn't even a bus guy it was his dads... That is one phone number I will be hanging on to.....

Eric
53 Canadian Custom Ova
55 SO23 Westy Kit

vwboop Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 am

Bought a 53 Double door barndoor panel back in the day (about 15 years ago) for $300 bucks (my dad found it for me when he was driving around). It came with an NOS 55-58 bumper and spare decklid, and after talking to the guy (he worked for Volkswagen) found out he had a 36 Hrse motor (rebuilt with all NOS parts), and his brother had a 65 21 window in storage. I ended up with both busses (the 21 was a driver...drove it home), and the motor all for $1800 bucks. Wish I still had it all. I grabbed the bumper (for my late 55 23 window I had at the time) and sold the 53 DD, and daily drove the 21 for about a year and sold it. Traded the motor for a guitar. Damn I wish I could hoard. Nowadays I say my wife completes me cause she won't let me sell anything (vehicles that is)...I used to sell everything.

dieselnut Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:21 pm

OK, so we've had approximately 40 good deals between the lot of us in the past 30 years.....lol. I'm not buying that!

bump!

Long-roofs Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Man, I could write a book on good deals. But my 6 leg middle seat for my Barndoor came from a '56 Wolfsburg kombi I bought out of Hemmings. I got Hemmings early every month for my '50s-'60's V8 side of me....and bam, a '56 kombi for $1400 in Wa. I was all over it, drove the 4 hours to see it, money in hand. The 6 leg seat was sitting upside down, so I could spy the legs through the window. When I saw the 6 legs, I said I will take it!

bubba Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:41 pm

i can't bitch. i found my bus in someones back yard in Maitland FL for $150.00. It as not in the shape it is today. It needed a lot of work, but i had the time and not the money. 2 year later and hundreds of hours of work. :D Damn, i think it turned out pretty good. :D [/list]

dieselnut Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm

So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

Jerry J Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:55 pm

There haven't been a whole lot of great deals as far as goes on here in some time. Or I've just missed them. I did get a real decent deal on my bus locally. The seller could have gotten a lot more I think but I think that he liked the idea that I was going to get it running and use it which I have.

But I did score some greatly needed pieces of OG interior panel trim from Dave24 for the screaming great deal of buying him lunch and covering the shipping. He just wanted to see if go to good use and I've used most of it.

dieselnut Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 pm

Long-roofs wrote: Man, I could write a book on good deals. But my 6 leg middle seat for my Barndoor came from a '56 Wolfsburg kombi I bought out of Hemmings. I got Hemmings early every month for my '50s-'60's V8 side of me....and bam, a '56 kombi for $1400 in Wa. I was all over it, drove the 4 hours to see it, money in hand. The 6 leg seat was sitting upside down, so I could spy the legs through the window. When I saw the 6 legs, I said I will take it!

Nice! :D

bubba Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 pm

dieselnut wrote: So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. :lol: You come across all the good deals. Hook a brother up!! :D

Jerry J Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:00 pm

bubba wrote: dieselnut wrote: So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. :lol: You come across all the good deals. Hook a brother up!! :D

Yes, please put me on that list. I want an SC in the worst way.

derv Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:17 pm

dieselnut wrote: So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

Damn, Diesel! What is UP with you lately??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

splitpile Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Not a split but I'm having a 69 dormobile picked up for me this weekend. 2nd owner complete, so 44 or is it 45 interior. Has all the new parts to rebuild the engine with it. Am purchasing it for a good deal for a Bay/westy/dormo. I'm not a fat chick guy but was to good to pass up.
Nothing compared to what Dieselnut has been finding

vwboop Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:10 pm

Years ago I responded to an ad in Hemmings (I really had no idea at this point). There was a guy advertising that he was looking for a six legged middle seat. I went out and counted the legs on the seat I had kept from the sale of my late 55 23 window and sure enough there were six legs. I had to go to a conference down in Anaheim and I was still fairly young so I called the guy and told him I was going to this conference and if he'd put me up (even if I had to sleep on the floor for five days) He could have the seat (I'd bring it down with me from Canada). He offered to put me up in a Motel for five days so I went that route, but I did get over to see his bus (51 barndoor deluxe). He seemed upset it had rust which consisted of one quarter sized hole in the cargo area near the side doors (nothing compared to what we have up here in Canada). Anyone possibly know who that might have been or know the bus? I don't remember much about the guy but remember he was Mormon or J.W. or something.

campingbox Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:48 pm

vwboop wrote: Years ago I responded to an ad in Hemmings (I really had no idea at this point). There was a guy advertising that he was looking for a six legged middle seat. I went out and counted the legs on the seat I had kept from the sale of my late 55 23 window and sure enough there were six legs. I had to go to a conference down in Anaheim and I was still fairly young so I called the guy and told him I was going to this conference and if he'd put me up (even if I had to sleep on the floor for five days) He could have the seat (I'd bring it down with me from Canada). He offered to put me up in a Motel for five days so I went that route, but I did get over to see his bus (51 barndoor deluxe). He seemed upset it had rust which consisted of one quarter sized hole in the cargo area near the side doors (nothing compared to what we have up here in Canada). Anyone possibly know who that might have been or know the bus? I don't remember much about the guy but remember he was Mormon or J.W. or something.

Not many early deluxes around......Dennis Rose maybe?

type2man Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm

I bought my westy 6 years ago for $3700. It's 1967 walk-thru, with 85k miles, og paint, 12v ambulance fans, tent, childs cot, and roofrack. I updated it with lowered spindles, a straight axle kit and 16" alloys.

vdubinit Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:14 pm

I bought this 15 window for 5 BUCKS at an auction here in town
I could'nt believe that know one at the auction wanted that bus

I was the first and last to bid on it :D :D :D

Mario J G Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:41 am

I paid $100 for my 67 westy complete with lots of goodies 3 yrs ago and I have not put more then $300 into it for repairs/parts in that time. Now I was just given a 65 EZ camper complete that sat for 13 yrs and I had it on the road next day.