TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
chimneyfish Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 pm

chimneyfish wrote: OrangeZA wrote: From reading Simon Glen’s “Sahara Handbook” that I referred to earlier. He only really had issues with dampers/shock absorbers, he recommended using the heavy duty Boge ones, Gabriel, Koni or Bilstein. He didn’t like the coil-over type as he found the springs tended to become dislodged and wear a hole in the body of the damper. The Konis are rebuildable, more information on Koni dampers can be found here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni.html

I have the adjustable Koni red Special D's all round, I'm very happy with them, oil filled shocks all the way for me!

I wonder whether it was the red Koni coil overs Simon Glen had issues with? I would have thought they would have been ideal.

Here are some pictures Topaz put up of Koni coil over shocks she had for sale (I bought my rear regular red Special Ds from her NOS, back when they were hard to get hold of).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1777085

topaz. wrote: Both pairs took me a truly long time to track them down.

If a T2 owner or a member is interested the part numbers direct from Koni are as follows:

There is a slight difference in length:

T2a [8000e-1082] on a T2b:

Thank you for your time.

rsbadura Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 am

vworwhat wrote: Does anybody know the m-code for these chocks?
I have had the same Heavy Duty KONI shocks at my German 1979 9 seater L(uxury) bus at the front axle.
No M code indicate this (M103 is not in the list) - only unknown M code is 708.

I ask KONI for refill (because of advertising with live time guarantee) - but the declined :lol:
Not available anymore - only normal red KONI, that I have installed then (8 years and a lot of miles ago...)

vworwhat wrote: with warehouse patina
sorry to say that: for me they look like used... but certainly less than mine :wink:

regards and happy Easter

vworwhat Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 am

Thanks a lot for all the valuable information!

Well true, with regard to the Ratwell charts, these adjustables would not be M103. They probably would have had an m-code though, but maybe not

I have had a set of those red rear Koni coil overs on my earlybay for a period, to temporarily cure a saggy ass syndrom. Using the longer latebay version on an earlybay gave quite a lift. I drove a few 1000 miles like that always being concerned about damaging the mounts, but nothing happened. Obviously that has put considerable strain on the mounts. Not really advisable

Rolf, I sincerely believe they are NOS, but who knows. They are absolutely clean underneath the cap and work perfectly. I bought them as NOS together with a bunch of other NOS parts of a German guy, who I trust. But things are only NOS once, so its quite academical as these go on my westy today, so no matter what, they are not NOS any longer

vworwhat Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 am

Absolutely no damage to these unreinforced mounts. Guess I was just lucky... how do reinforced mounts of a 1200kg payload baywindow actually look like? Has anyone ever seen them? Are there any pics available?

mcdonaldneal Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:12 am

vworwhat wrote: That would be M103 then - heavy duty shocks, thanks. No further specification. Any idea whether these shocks required reinforced shock mounts? Or were they optinal fitted on std busses destined for use on bad roads?

Our Australian Kombi had M103 as an M code. I'm not sure if all Aussie buses had this, probably not. I'm fairly sure my rear shocks are still the originals, but I don't know what to take a picture of to help the topic :oops: !
I'll try to crawl under and see what I can see...

mcdonaldneal Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:58 am

Well, I don't know if this helps anyone but, the rear shocks on our Kombi are Cofap, I can't make out all of the part number, some of it seems to be 147 0794.
It has the M code for heavy duty shocks but of course these might be replacements. We got the bus at about 100,000miles.
Mounting points rusted but don't seem deformed.

vworwhat Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 am

Cofab are not your original shocks, they should be aftermarket.
M103 should be coilovers i guess, at least that is what Ratwell suggests.
I can't spot any reinforcments :?:. Or is the topmount bulkier?? That is difficult to make out ... would you mind to take a picture of the back side of the top mount. You will have to crawl underneath the bus with a flashlight though :oops:

mcdonaldneal Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 am

vworwhat wrote: Cofab are not your original shocks, they should be aftermarket.
M103 should be coilovers i guess, at least that is what Ratwell suggests.
I can't spot any reinforcments :?:. Or is the topmount bulkier?? That is difficult to make out ... would you mind to take a picture of the back side of the top mount. You will have crawl underneath the bus with a flashlight though :oops:
Thanks vworwhat. I'm away for a few days, but I'll try for a pic when I get back.

vworwhat Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks a lot, mate. Much appreciated :D

otiswesty Mon May 01, 2017 7:44 pm

Not really Bay Window specific, but I have been looking for one of these for quite a while. Just found these in Europe and they're coming over pretty soon courtesy of a German buddy.

Plus the cord for the inductive pick up.

notchboy Mon May 01, 2017 8:18 pm

What is that? A CB or microwave :?: :lol:

mcdonaldneal Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 am

Could it be the fabled VW diagnostic machine?

alman72 Tue May 02, 2017 4:29 am

sweet VAG. (1367)

RONIN10 Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 am

notchboy wrote: What is that? A CB or microwave :?: :lol:

A YouTube video explaining its use here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMFSs72UqMI

airkooledchris Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 am

RONIN10 wrote: notchboy wrote: What is that? A CB or microwave :?: :lol:

A YouTube video explaining its use here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMFSs72UqMI

I love stumbling across posts where my own content is displayed.

That was a cool little toy to play with. I only wish I had the pickup for the flywheel still on my case to check the timing with it (when I still had it.)

I eventually let it go to someone local to me. As with anything VW related, I wish I still had it :P

notchboy Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 am

Oh wow. How cool is that. Nice vid airkooledchris 8)

VWDog Tue May 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Uh-oh, now Jason's gotta have one... I mean two, no, three!! :wink: :lol:

I do agree, great explanatory video airkooledchris. I never knew such a thing existed, but that's only showing my ignorance :oops: Oh well, now I do :)

notchboy Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 pm

VWDog wrote: Uh-oh, now Jason's gotta have one... I mean two, no, three!! :wink: :lol:

I do agree, great explanatory video airkooledchris. I never knew such a thing existed, but that's only showing my ignorance :oops: Oh well, now I do :)

Does it work with FI?

I defiantly think its neat. I remember a big diagnostic center being for sale a couple years back in Texas? It was the size of a rolling tool box? But this little guy would do. I may have to get one :lol:

Xevin Tue May 02, 2017 4:24 pm

notchboy wrote: I may have to get three :lol:

Fixed that for you Jason :wink:

notchboy Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Xevin wrote: notchboy wrote: I may have to get three :lol:

Fixed that for you Jason :wink:

Id fixate on making sure I had the attachments, the box it came in, the supplemental for dealers on how to use it, a book of matches from a dealer that used them, a cigarette smoked by the tech using it......

In my search for that Ill net two more incomplete units :wink: :lol: