TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bus hunting history... Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 940, 941, 942 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
cdennisg Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 am

Long-roofs wrote: '63 a Turkis Truck?

Looks light grey with a turkis decklid. Hard to say with that layer of dust.

58euro Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks everyone, super excited to get them both! I'm not really sure what the electrical inlet is on the 63 yet, not really crawled around them and checked them out too much yet. The 63 is light grey though with a Turkis Decklid and Turkis passenger door on it. I did find the og paint light grey decklid and door in the barn however. The 63 came Mcoded with a 1500 engine and hoops and canvas, I was really hoping the hoops and canvas would be in the barn somewhere but no luck.

The extraction was a pain lol. Had a 1968 Truck bed camper blocking them that I tried 2 different trailers that wouldn't fit underneath and tried 2 different trucks which also wouldn't work. Came back day 2 and was able to borrow someone else's trailer to get it pulled out. When it came to pulling them out the 66 was the worst as it was wedged between the other bus and a wooden post. Luckily all that worked out though and was able to get them pulled out without any issues.

Here's you can see how close they really were, only inches between everything. This is when we finally got the camper moved and the wife was pretty happy to get in to them.

zuggbug Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am

58euro wrote:
Here's you can see how close they really were, only inches between everything. This is when we finally got the camper moved and the wife was pretty happy to get in to them.

happy wife = happy life

Touch Nicks Thing Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Awesome find! Congrats on getting them extracted, thanks for sharing!

Alan Brase Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:00 pm

BulliBill wrote: Super cool find! Odd that the '63 has the double electrical inlet or outlet fixture above the left taillight. I wonder what that is all about? Great find, did you buy them both? Tell us more about this adventure! ...and congratulations!

Bill
I'd suspect it was wired for a trailer connector there. It is relatively easy to modify an American alternator to put out 100+ volts DC for a short time, but I doubt that is what is going on there.
Also fitted an Anhangkuppler. Trailer hitch ball. Called AHK in German ads.

mtnbus Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:01 am

coolest find in a while !
Nice

crukab Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm

mtnbus wrote: coolest find in a while !
Nice

Yep. Very nice score. "Yea, I gotta couple old VW Pick-ups" and they turn out to be Doublecabs... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Holy Shit find of the Year !!!!!

Squilly Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Pretty excited to get to share these on my favorite thread and possibly the most unconventional bus hunting method documented so far...

This started out as a hunt for a 1960 15 Window bus and ended up becoming a 2 bus extraction, the other being a 1962 Walk-thru 23.

I first saw the 15 back in February 2017, but not in person. It actually sorta found me. One of the guys I was living with while at college matched with a girl on Tinder and immediately showed me her profile and jokingly said, “dude, check this girl out. She’s got a bus in her picture so you’d probably like her.” I took his phone and out loud said “holy s**t that looks like an early deluxe.” :shock: I was immediately was made fun of for being more interested in the bus but I was able to track down the photographer who took the pictures, messaged her and asked if she would show me where that “old bus” was in some of her pictures if I just paid her the going rate for a photo session. She agreed but insisted that we actually do the photo session… so I drove 3 hours from school to take these silly pictures I didn’t even really want and are totally not my style but whatever. She had me sounding out vowels really slow and kept asking me to run my fingers through my hair, look moody, etc. :roll:

After we finished and she had left the owner had just come home, so I introduced myself and told him that am really only there so I could see this bus for myself. So we talk VWs for a while and I finally ask if he’d be willing to sell. He said he’s had it for 20+ years and life has gotten in the way but he wants to finish swapping a roof off of another 23 window he has onto the 15... :shock:
“Come back in 3 years and maybe we’ll see.” Here’s what I left with:

Since then I would lose sleep over thinking about this bus at least once a month, depending on how much VW related stuff I was doing. So 2-3 weeks ago I decide I’ll just go out and see if he’s there and can plant the seed again. Drive 5 hours from Steamboat in my syncro doka and he’s not home. I loiter for a bit around this little town and keep checking back in on his place periodically then decide to come back tomorrow so I head back to Colorado to camp.

I head back on Sunday and he’s there. Knock on the door, we talk, look at the doka, look at the 15 again, and talk some more. I ask again if he’d be willing to sell it and he says probably not yet I still might get to it, that kind of stuff. So I went home emtpy handed then a week later he texts me saying he changed his mind. Rented 2 U-Hauls and picked them up a week later! :D

cdennisg Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Ho Lee Shit. What a story.

mastorna Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 pm

The older this thread gets the more random / chances of fate these stories become. Great score and persistence. That 15 is amazing even if it has the radio upside down.

John Ghia Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Weld the roof back on that 62 and enjoy one of each.

d-rick Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm

that's awesome..that 15 looks killer

EverettB Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Killer 15-Window.
I noticed that upside down radio too - that is weird.

So he cut the roof off the 23 so he could swap it over and basically destroyed that Bus because he never did anything?
That's annoying...

campingbox Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

Nice 15 window!

I would encourage you to be more careful with that pressure washer next time. Patina is fragile.

wcfvw69 Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 am

What a great story. Congrats!

It's amazing how the posts in this thread have slowed down so dramatically over the past 10 years. Finding a bus like that 15 window is clearly becoming more and more difficult.

Squilly Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks all!

EverettB wrote: Killer 15-Window.
I noticed that upside down radio too - that is weird.

So he cut the roof off the 23 so he could swap it over and basically destroyed that Bus because he never did anything?
That's annoying...

Haha yeah the radio upside down is a weird one... but it still has the vinyl on the parcel tray and the speaker behind the dash which is pretty cool.

The surprising thing is the 23 is actually not that bad aside from the cut wheel wells, cargo door side rocker, and well... the roof. Luckily it's at a place that I think shouldn't have a problem getting it reattached correctly.

campingbox wrote: Nice 15 window!

I would encourage you to be more careful with that pressure washer next time. Patina is fragile.

No worries! Thinking we're gonna paint it anyway! :wink:

Kidding, but I have always thought original paint was really hard, but we had that little electric powerwasher on low to just take the 25 years of dirt off. Preserving that fade is definetly the goal!

BarryL Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Is the red bus as good as it looks all over and under?

velvetgreen Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 am

epic score on 15 window- looks about perfect patina bus from my screen

JonL Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am

What a great story, two killer finds-and great shop too!

Squilly Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:19 am

BarryL wrote: Is the red bus as good as it looks all over and under?

The only rust through I've found is the rear outer outriggers and jack points. Sure there could be more but I poked around it for a while on the lift and it's really really solid.