TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Koni steering damper (stabilizer) 76-1099 (APRIL FOOLS) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
ratwell Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:01 pm

During my original research I discovered that Koni also made a steering damper (80-2193) in the 80s for our buses but it seems for a much shorter period than the shocks.

I haven't been able to locate any specs or details until recently because Koni's computers do not have this information anymore. Luckily my Koni contact in Australia was able to hunt down the data in his vintage printed material.

When I contacted Koni about doing a run of steering dampers they flatly said no and Bus Depot's buying power didn't sway them either. This is unfortunate because it would really complete the set we all have.

I have been able to locate 12 steering dampers in Australia. They are NOS, in the old style boxes with the old style logos. I put them on hold with a deposit ( bless the USD->AUS exchange rate :D but curse their shipping rates :evil: ) and shipped one box over to test on my bus.

Again, I'm simply stunned by how much of a difference it has made to steering feel. If you've ever driven a bus with a worn out steering damper you'll notice that the wheel is practically jerked out of your hand when you drive over speed bumps. When you have a good damper, the same goes to a lesser degree for the road when you hit a pothole or a bump especially during a turn.

The Koni steering damper is adjustable just like the rest of their classic red shocks and you can dial in the amount of road feedback you want. Unlike the front/rear shocks, the valving is linear and you can adjust them to a much finer degree.

On the softest setting, you don't even need to hold the steering wheel anymore (practically). Every deflection of the tires is absorbed by the damper. The hardest setting starts to feel like the stock Boge damper that tugs on the steering wheel a little. There's probably a nice setting in the middle but I haven't driven long enough with them to discover it.

These are NOS shocks, not new so they are slightly more orange in color than the latest shocks because Koni changed their paint formula. If you have NOS rears and new fronts like I do you'll see the difference up close but a bystander won't notice it looking at your bus.

So how do you get one? I'm going to import the remaining 11 from Australia as soon as I can fill all the orders. The shock was originally $49 but with shipping it's going to cost closer to $74 after I have them shipped to USA and then remailed to your address even though they are much lighter than a front/rear shock. After these are gone they are really gone.

These steering dampers fit all 68-79 buses as there is only one steering damper (211 425 021A) for all models.

Just send me a pm and I will add you to the list. It's first come first serve and I'll be taking money orders and Paypal. Details to follow.

[email protected] Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:56 pm

nice find!! :D

BobDog Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:35 pm

This isnt a "April's Fools Joke" is it.....if not, I will take a KONI Steering Dampner. Do i go to your website to PayPal you ?

PM sent

Thanks in advance

NO_H2O Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:40 pm

I want one.

[email protected] Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:41 pm

PM sent , Put me down for two. Let me know where to send a money order to.
Best Regards,
John

ratwell Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Wow, they all sold out within a few hours on a Saturday no less. My inbox is overflowing so no more PMs please.

Payment details are here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Koni2.html

Kudos to Chris Galvin. :)

sailorkh Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Dude...I for one was taken hook, line, and sinker. You could have made a lot of money taking pre orders. SOME day, SOME way, we need to get you back for this one.

:twisted:

[email protected] Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Wow...You got me Ratwell! :oops:

moxnix Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:52 pm

I was pretty damn excited too
No wonder the bosslady thinks I'm wacko :)
Thanks for the laugh dude

tristessa Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:27 pm

D'oh! I got all excited from the first couple posts, then I get down to the bottom. Ratwell, you bastard! I'd almost forgotten what day this is. :lol:

Good one, though.

Bart Dunn Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:47 pm

Don't blame me for being one of the first suckered in on this one--blame the vodka, vermouth, and olives. To quote a latter half of the 20th century genius: "It's not my fault: I was drunkened by intoxicating liquors!"

westy78 Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Thats cold Richard, just cold. The photo was the piece de resistance. :lol: If it were anyone else I wouldn't have fallen for it, but you of all people. You should be ashamed of yourself. :wink: Oh well, just saved me $75.

steponmebbbboom Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Ive got no regrets. :)

DurocShark Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:17 pm

ROFTLMAO!!!

sailorkh Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:02 pm

With all the rain we have been having here, like every %#@& day, I took the day to lock myself in the shop at work and have at my CV joints. They were a drag getting off and I was taking break when I saw...Koni Steering Dampner...WOW!!!!, Very cool.< And, I had even seen the T2 list guy stuck under his bus with a computer too>...Well, I PM'ed Mr. Ratbastard, oops I mean Mr. Ratwell, and hoped I was at least #9 on the list of 11. Well, I got back to work and went right up to the front of my bus and then it hit me I'm not # 9, I'm #2....that dude just pulled that one out of his engine compartment!!! After I was done laughing, the rest of the job went much better.

Thanks, that was cool. Too bad the chummys just came out cause that would have been a good one!

sailorkh Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:11 pm

steponmebbbboom wrote: Ive got no regrets. :)

That's cause you've got no life.

It's just a joke, son :D

BobDog Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Nice one Ratman !!!!

How many PM's did you get ?

Smithy Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 pm

Richard- you outdid yourself- brilliant and believable.

benzene Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am

That was great! :lol:

Amskeptic Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:57 am

Please return my bank account numbers, my personal password codes, my dog and my mother-in-law and the deed to the house and my first-born.
Colin