TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Removing interior roof mold... Sanitized For Your Protection Page: 1, 2  Next
scottcollins72 Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:33 pm

This was one nasty job I've been waiting as long as possible to do.

After alot of bleach and my head now spinning.... (I don't know if you can get high off of bleach but damn, it sure felt like it) This is what my baby's top looks like now:

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

wolfej1 Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:27 am

Looks really good, how long to do the job? 50/50 bleach and h20? I gotta do this job as well. It is remarkable how similar your "before" looks exactly like my "current" :wink:

Seriously, did you get a bad headache from the bleach fumes?

buspor63 Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:52 am

I did the same job about two weeks ago. I was a skeptic and thought it would be a waste of time. Boy, was I wrong. In a hand pump spray bottle, generic household cleaner type. I used 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. I feel I could have diluted the bleach even more. The mold/mildew stains practically disappeared in front of my eyes. I did scrub the surface with a wash cloth that I kept rinsing in a bucket of fresh water. It took over a week for the stron bleach smell to dissapate. Dang, I should taken pics.

r39o Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 am

I am amazed that the fuzzy stuff does not come off. Even my Cali Westy has some staining. Not that bad, but I too, should wash it off. Some year, I guess.....

scottcollins72 Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Yeah, The whole job took around 2 hours. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES! Nothing hurts like bleach in the eye. :evil: Won't be a mistake I repeat anytime soon. A full face shield is best. But the bleach does do an amazing job. As buspor says, it literally dissapears in front of your eyes. But he's also right that it doesn't need to be a third of the bottle. I used a dollar store spray bottle with well over 3/4 water and around 4 cap fulls of bleach. And yes, at the end of the night, after the two beers, I had a pretty good headache. And it definately wasn't from the beers. :roll: But it was worth it. I didn't really want to be breathing in mould spores while I slept. Oh and a toothbrush is mandatory for getting all the crap out of the small metal tracks they use to hold the canvas to the body. Mine were gross. Also, While you're up there make sure you clean your shelf where the light is, and with all the bleachy rags you'll have from wiping the top down because it drips like crazy.(btw make sure you cover all the upholstery, carpets, and remove all bedding and cushions before you start.) But it is totally worth the pain and the headache. And don't be like me, CHANGE THE POP TOP SEALS BEFORE you clean the mould. I had to do this twice.

wolfej1 Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Finished sanitizing for my protection this evening. The procedure works very well. No bleach in the peeps either...... Thanks fellas...

tclark Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:58 am

just for the archives

Zep® Commercial Mildew Stain Remover
http://www.zepcommercial.com/pages/helppages/bathroomhelp.html
from Home depot

Just like they say spray on a pannel wait 5mins rinse with fresh water
mold desolves b4 your eyes

there also from home dump
Concrobium Mold Control
http://www.concrobium.com/US/home.html

leaves an anti mold film on the fuzz well I gotta wait for another pnw winter season to see how that realy lives up

msinabottle Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:42 am

And now you know...

Why so many Germans...

ARE BLONDE!

:shock:

I think a lot is also explained about Draco and Lucius Malfoy. Congratulations on your triumphs.

Best!

dixoncj Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Holy crap. I just put on the respirator and sprayed Tilex all over the mold inside my poptop ceiling. After a half hour it looks brand new.
Unbe-freaking-lievable results.

ThankYouJerry Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:26 pm

1. Vapor mask - mandatory with bleach.

2. Next time try Borax. Works just as good without the noxious fumes.

Merian Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:21 pm

now that you have killed the existing mold, spray a mold inhibitor all over the surface

and keep it dry and ventilated (do not store stuff between the shelf and top)

ThankYouJerry Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Merian wrote: now that you have killed the existing mold, spray a mold inhibitor all over the surface

and keep it dry and ventilated (do not store stuff between the shelf and top)


Ummmm... make sure you read the MSDS on your fungicide of choice before you decide to sleep with it in your Westy :shock: .

djkeev Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Really?

Borax?

Who Knew??!!??

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/borax-kill-mold.php

I just remenber getting a 20 mule team Borax figure set as a kid........ Never thought of actually cleaning things with it! :oops:

Dave

Merian Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:24 pm

ThankYouJerry wrote: Merian wrote: now that you have killed the existing mold, spray a mold inhibitor all over the surface

and keep it dry and ventilated (do not store stuff between the shelf and top)


Ummmm... make sure you read the MSDS on your fungicide of choice before you decide to sleep with it in your Westy :shock: .


while always good advice, I said mold inhibitor not fungicide - and there are some that are quite safe



no to mention GMO-free... sustainably harvested by worker owned coops, yada yada

Paulbeard Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Trying a borax/vinegar/water solution as an inhibitor now that the bleach has done the heavy lifting.

But seriously, the link above about borax? It takes you to a page that says borax is "chemical-free." Borax is a chemical — sodium tetraborate, as it says on the box. This phobia about "chemicals" grates sometimes.

djkeev Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:37 pm

FYI....

Title changed to reflect threads content.

Dave

djkeev Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:39 pm

A related thread.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225222

Paulbeard Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Wondering about mold and mildew prompted by the discovery that my poptop is scuffed from where it has hit the hinge on the upper berth. It apparently hasn't always been pushed back properly. It doesn't go back very far, I notice. And there isn't a lot of space between the folding section and the roof. How much should there be?

lynnoski Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi everyone,

The fuzzy liner on my 77 campmobile pop top is pretty clean... but it falls off if touched. Anyone know if wetting or cleaning it will stop this from happening? The particles are pretty nasty to inhale when the become airborn. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :lol:

llilibel03 Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Merian wrote: now that you have killed the existing mold, spray a mold inhibitor all over the surface

and keep it dry and ventilated (do not store stuff between the shelf and top)

FYI

I have an 85 that had not a spot of mildew. I recently made Reflectix insulation for the pop top and windows and stored them on top of the top mattress. Popped the top today and found tons of mildew. Ew! Insulation will now get stored in the garage.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group