TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '66 door latch / locks (YES I used the search!) Page: 1, 2  Next
synapticburn Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:09 pm

So I'm basically at the end of my rope here.

My initial problem was that I couldn't lock / unlock the doors with the key. I read through all the forums and I've tried everything:

Lubricated the crap out of everything with white lithium grease: No luck.

Swapped door handles from once side to the other: No difference.

Bought brand new door handles: Had to grind the front hook on one to get it to fit (cheap mexican parts), but still the exact same problem. These came with new keys too.

Dissassembled the door completely and totally according to some great instructions I found in a thread here, and removed the door latch mechanism. Cleaned throughly, blew out with compressed air several times and lubricated heavily again, everywhere, all while working the latch and lock to get everything cleaned and lubed. No help

Bought a set of used door latches from an advertiser here on The Samba. Cleaned and lubed those really well, put them in, SAME PROBLEM. Went back to the original set of door handles I had with the car. SAME DAMN PROBLEM.

So, is the second set of latches bad too? Maybe that's why they were sitting on a shelf and someone wanted to sell them. The door will open, close, and lock on either side from the inside.

One bit of info that might help: On the drivers side, the door handle button stays jammed in. If I put in the key and wiggle it and mess with it long enough, I can eventually get the door unlocked, but the key won't come out unless I push the button back in and turn the key, which re-jams the button in.

Does anyone make repro door handles? My car is a 1966. I don't care if I have to buy all new doors, I just want this fixed I've spent an embarrasing amount of hours on it already.

LadyVW Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Have you tried finding a replacement striker plate? When my door kept jamming like that, it was a combination of door sag and worn striker plate

is your plate really worn where the lock slides against it?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837036B

edited to add: You might also try pushing the button in a little, or upward when unlocking. Due to my door sag, I have to do this.

Theft deterrant. :D

supermaxx123 Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:35 pm

I have the same problem on my 66. I can only lock the passenger side and its not easy. it takes a few truns of the key to lock and a few more to unlock. I also bought new door handles because my originals had no key. My passenger side will lock but when i try to open it the thing like slides out and i cant open the door. I have to take off the door handle to be able to open it again.
WHat will fix this and how much will it cost?

Bruce Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 am

There are 2 completely different types of mechanisms for 66s. Each mechanism takes a completely different type of door handle.

You need to spend more time with the search function. This exact problem was covered in HUGE detail less than a year ago.

synapticburn Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:29 am

LadyVW wrote: Have you tried finding a replacement striker plate? When my door kept jamming like that, it was a combination of door sag and worn striker plate

is your plate really worn where the lock slides against it?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837036B

edited to add: You might also try pushing the button in a little, or upward when unlocking. Due to my door sag, I have to do this.

Theft deterrant. :D

Wow. Thanks for the help, I had no idea anyone made these new. I'm buying 2 new striker plates, two new door latches and I'll have a bodyshop look at the door sag as well. I know they can be shimmed up.

Thanks again!

synapticburn Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:43 am

Bruce wrote: There are 2 completely different types of mechanisms for 66s. Each mechanism takes a completely different type of door handle.

You need to spend more time with the search function. This exact problem was covered in HUGE detail less than a year ago.

I spent over an hour reading every thread I could find about door locks / strikers etc. I read them all.

Tell you what buddy, you find me an obvious thread that I missed that brings up an issue or a solution that I DIDN'T ALREADY MENTION TRYING and I'll formally apologize, eat crow, leave these boards for good, whatever it's your choice.

I used the search, and that's why I put it IN THE TITLE, because a lot of people on this board are jerks when it comes to chastising people about not using the search.

keifernet Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 am

synapticburn wrote: Bruce wrote: There are 2 completely different types of mechanisms for 66s. Each mechanism takes a completely different type of door handle.

I spent over an hour reading every thread I could find about door locks / strikers etc. I read them all.

Tell you what buddy, you find me an obvious thread that I missed that brings up an issue or a solution that I DIDN'T ALREADY MENTION TRYING and I'll formally apologize, eat crow, leave these boards for good, whatever it's your choice.

I used the search, and that's why I put it IN THE TITLE, because a lot of people on this board are jerks when it comes to chastising people about not using the search.

Care to name any names? :P :lol: :wink:

Gary Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 am

synapticburn wrote: Bruce wrote: There are 2 completely different types of mechanisms for 66s. Each mechanism takes a completely different type of door handle.

Nothing like looking first before asking, is it? It's called self-reliance and self-education.

emersonbiggins Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 pm

If you have the handles off, you can stick your finger in the door hole and move the lock mechanism up and down. Does it move hard?

Are your handles like a 67? Are the handle guide pins good and not broken?

Kris Styes Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:15 am

Just my 2 cents—take it for what its worth!

We have a 66 T1. Same issue as with your locks. I removed the locking mechanism, cleaned, etc. A little better, but still not good.

The striker plate may be the issue. Try focusing / adjusting it first. I have found that it’s a combination of the door swing arm, door lock mechanism and striker part that all must be in good working order for good solid operation.

After we tried every option, I sourced replacement door lock mechanism for both sides and all is 100 % at this time. In our issue, re-working the door mechanism was not enough. Replacement did the trick.

Best of luck as I know this issue first hand is rather frustrating!

Kris (Kansas)

bill may Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:08 am

have you tried search "by author"?? bruce and i both did good writeups about these 66 only lock setups. use search - bruce and they will pop up then look for door handles or what ever info you need. you search by using "66 doors" you will get a million posts and give up on reading them all. besides a bentley has the info uou need also.

synapticburn Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 am

Icy wrote:
Nothing like looking first before asking, is it? It's called self-reliance and self-education.

What do you mean? I did search before asking. I spent a couple of hours searching through here and reading all kinds of threads, which is why I took the steps that I've already mentioned.

synapticburn Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:45 am

keifernet wrote:

I don't mean anyone specifically, I've only been lurking here for a while and actually just reading all the topics I can to learn as much as I can. I've only posted a few times before, but in my reading I'd just noticed that a lot of well-meaning people got slammed for not finding stuff in the search.

I've been on another board for years (dubspeedracing.com), and everyone there is really different, people will re answer questions over again and not make a big deal about it is all.

Thanks for the help though everyone. I'm going to buy new striker plates and latches once I make sure of what type I need to order and go from there.

synapticburn Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:47 am

emersonbiggins wrote: If you have the handles off, you can stick your finger in the door hole and move the lock mechanism up and down. Does it move hard?

Are your handles like a 67? Are the handle guide pins good and not broken?

Yes it's hard to move with your finger, I do remember trying that.

No they're not like a 67, I've seen those handles before (I thought they were 67 only but now I'm guessing that they were started in 66?).

I don't know what a "handle guide pin" is, but nothing looks broken on the handle, and I already bought and tried a set of brand new handles as well and no difference.

Gary Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:55 am

synapticburn wrote: keifernet wrote:

I don't mean anyone specifically, I've only been lurking here for a while and actually just reading all the topics I can to learn as much as I can. I've only posted a few times before, but in my reading I'd just noticed that a lot of well-meaning people got slammed for not finding stuff in the search.

I've been on another board for years (dubspeedracing.com), and everyone there is really different, people will re answer questions over again and not make a big deal about it is all.

Thanks for the help though everyone. I'm going to buy new striker plates and latches once I make sure of what type I need to order and go from there.

Most of the time, if you search first, the answer to your question has already been posted. That's why people get irked with the repeated posting of the same question. Typical examples include, but are not limited to: What tires can I run on my Bus; How do I slam my (Bug, Ghia, Type 3); Who sells xxxxx parts; ad nauseum. To add insult to injury, the repetetive questions are posted when the answer is in the *FAQ* for that particular forum.

It's like going to the library every week and asking the librarian to show you how to look for a particular book. The first time you are shown how to use the card catalog should suffice until such time as a seriously complex problem is presented.

emersonbiggins Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:57 am

I've had hard working lock latches before and I would just lubricate lubricate and lubricate the latches while I worked them up and down with my finger. Eventually they got easier to operate. I think the latch is the problem and they need to work easier then you describe.

Bruce Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:21 pm

The topic I was thinking of is the one that both Bill May, Kris Styes, and I partisipated in. That topic was several pages long. In order for that much information to be regurgitated now would take days to happen. I wasn't ripping into you for not using the search function, I was telling you that the answer to your problem DOES exist in the archives. You need to alter your search terms.

bill may Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:47 pm

exactly.. kris styes from kansas was having problems with his 66. he posted here. bruce,kris and myself walked him thru it ,including pms bewteen us and posts on here, and his are functioning now.

synapticburn Tue May 02, 2006 5:20 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help again.

I didn't have a vin on my dash or behind the spare, but under the seat on the tunnel I have 627040, which means '64.

But judging by the size of my windows, and the fact that my vent windows are slanted, I think the body is a '66. Of course the ragtop section was grafted in, and the decklid is from a '64 judging by the license plate light, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the body is '66.

Here's a pic of the door and windows on the passenger side:

The striker plate (door and body sides):

Here's a pic of the door handles (I know these def. aren't the '67 style and one is bent):

Here's a pic of the inside door latches:

So would I be correct in thinking this is all standard '66 stuff right?

bill may Tue May 02, 2006 7:49 pm

thanks for the pictures of your EARLY 66 doorhandles. 64,65 and early 66 are same. 1960-1966 used same body latch..