TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: You gotta name for yours? Naming your Bus. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
c_wilburn Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm

My son just named her Tina, short for patina.
as in "Hey, watch your shoes, your getting to much Pa in my Tina."

MrVWGuy Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

cdennisg wrote: Names, like beer, are fluid.

absolutely!

ewdb92 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:54 pm

cdennisg wrote: ^^^ Very nice looking bus.

Thanks!

Paintedbus Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:11 am

My bus has been called Uberslow or uglybus informally since i got it, but those are slightly derogatory and are almost universally disliked ... I may have found a suitable replacement today!

There was a story on about American truck drivers moving a UN truck from South Africa to south Sudan. All the way, their crappy UN truck was on the verge of falling apart. But through resourceful mechanical vigilance, they got their rig to its destination. Near the end, when their differential was failing, One of the two guys said he heard that bananas stuffed in the differential would lubricate it enough to get it to where they needed to go. So they bought hundreds of pounds of bananas, stuffed them into the axle shaft and sure enough went on their way! i couldn't believe it!

In America, it's Git-r-dun, and my vw friends know how often this philosophy applies... Like when i used a ball of jb weld to patch a crack in my engine case drive nearly 1000 miles home from SC to MA, topping off my oil the entire way. Or when i used electrical tape wrapped around the B+ terminal on my generator after the insulator disintegrated and the post fell into the spinning generator contact showering my engine compartment with pretty copper shavings... i had to smooth out the groove in the contact plate with a file while spinning it around. then driving like that for a month until I built a replacement out of 3 unusable generators. The type of driving i do in my bus really demands this type of resourcefulness. If i wasn't able to make things work, i would be broke and stranded most of the time.

...in Africa the term that was used was "Jua Kali. " It translates from Swahili to "Hot Sun", but essentially means getting the job done, regardless of how you need to do it. Like "Shade tree" but more applicable as a name. I like it...(And more importantly my wife does too!) Jua Kali :)

cdennisg Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm not too big on naming vehicles, but that story is excellent, and the bus is worthy.

sodbuster Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 am

I call my 71 camper "Blew". First because it's blue. Second because the first big trip I took with her after I got her I "blew" up the motor.

[/img]

jtauxe Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 am

Two new buses:

Arándano, because it is blue and from Mexico (arándano is Spanish for "blueberry):

It will become "El Raton" or something once it is returned to its original gray.

Then there is Snickers, because it looks like a candy bar:

madmike Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 am

Hey,towing it home,stopped at a gas station,lady sez you just have to call it Philmore :lol: , or Fillmore? unloading it and once parked,Hornets were all over it in every nook&cranny,so might just name it' "Horny' :lol:

joker Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:17 am

The Pretender.

This is the Joker's bus, currently in being restored.

This is the stand-in keeping me on the road.

Hence, The Pretender
:)

type2much Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 am

my bus is "the fried pickle" named by the p.o.'s kids, cool name and it fits good 8)

growflet Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:47 pm

We named her Gertie, after the dinosaur.
Also, it's a good strong German name.

blackivory69 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am

Her name is "Zoe". I just resurrected her from the dead so I thought about Zombie and Zoe rhymes with it. So Zoe it is then. :)

ZornigBus Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Named mine "Matilda" mostly because of the song from Alt-J[/i]

vwcanuck Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 am

Since being lowered this is now Buddha.

chachi Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 am

my bus friend, a tintin fan, named my white panel Snowy, "the faithful companion."

Keith Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 am

mattian wrote: mine is tayo-tayo "d little bus" :D

These rims are interesting. What are they from? They look like a direct bolt on, were they?

Keith Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 am

My '78 Champagne Edition Westfalia is named " Adam Westy", you original Batman lovers will get the reference.

barefootwestie Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

Wish I had a good name for mine. Had her for more than 7 years, and still just call her "The Bus".

airschooled Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 am

I couldn't find a suitable name, until 3/4 of the way up Tioga pass (10kfeet) I was patting the dashboard and saying "come on Buddy!!"

ChaseEverett Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Now the question is, who needs Custom stickers with their Bus' name? :D