TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can you tell me about this cross Page: 1, 2  Next
Klemen Klemen Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Can you tell me why some VW have this cross painted on them? Any sugestions?

notchback Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:28 pm

Klemen Klemen wrote: Can you tell me why some VW have this cross painted on them? Any sugestions?

Because the owner of the car wanted to paint it on there.

Fish Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:48 pm

It's the Iron Cross. Originally from the Knights Templar it was also used by the Nazi.

Foxx Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:22 pm

Fish wrote: It's the Iron Cross. Originally from the Knights Templar it was also used by the Nazi.
it is NOT a nazi cross.
it was used by germany and is STILL used by germany
VW's are from Germany..

notchback Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm

Foxx4086 JHC wrote: Fish wrote: It's the Iron Cross. Originally from the Knights Templar it was also used by the Nazi.
it is NOT a nazi cross.
it was used by germany and is STILL used by germany
VW's are from Germany..
I hate Illinois Nazis.

Kubel Nick Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:39 pm

They've been used as sign of rebellion for along time as well mainly with bikers and hot rodders. But they've grew polularity tremendiously since Jesse James/Monster Garage hoopla. People suse them today reason why someone would paint a rally number or flames or anything else, just because they want to. I hate it when people say it's because it's a Nazi thing. Would be saying a star is only a Republican thing....

iowegian Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:53 pm

Kubel Nick wrote: ... I hate it when people say it's because it's a Nazi thing. Would be saying a star is only a Republican thing....
A star is a Premium Lounge thing. :cry:

ocguy106 Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:50 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_Cross_(symbol)

Fish Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:55 pm

Kubel Nick wrote: I hate it when people say it's because it's a Nazi thing. Would be saying a star is only a Republican thing....

No, a star is a communist thing. :lol:

Fish wrote: It's the Iron Cross. Originally from the Knights Templar it was also used by the Nazi.

I didn't say it was exclusively a Nazi symbol. :roll: Gezzz That was the tie into VWs. Get it?

coad Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Not to nitpick, but stictly speaking that isn't a Maltese Cross, it's a Teutonic Cross.

Both date from the Crusades and all, but a true Maltese Cross has two distinct points on the end of each arm like this:

Since the Knights of Malta became famous for fighting off attacks where the enemy used flaming pots of burning oil they gained a reputation as firefighters, and that's why the Maltese Cross is a symbol of firemen all over the world to this very day:

Just something for you to file away in case you're ever on Jeopardy or trying to impress a fireman or something.

Fish Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:37 pm

Not to nitpick, but .......

Klemen Klemen wrote: Can you tell me why some VW have this cross painted on them? Any sugestions?

The above pictures address properties.
http://www.zwpatch.com/images/army%20scans/german_iron_cross.JPG

OK, it doesn't say Nazi, but when was the symbol first used in conjunction with VWs?

Anybody? Anybody. Bueller? Bueller?

Dave Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:43 pm

Anybody on here remember Schneider Racing Cams, from back in the early/mid 1960's?
Used the "Maltese" Cross way back then, before it became fashionable

Foxx Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:50 pm

Fish wrote: Not to nitpick, but .......

The above pictures address properties.
http://www.zwpatch.com/images/army%20scans/german_iron_cross.JPG

OK, it doesn't say Nazi, but when was the symbol first used in conjunction with VWs?

Anybody? Anybody. Bueller? Bueller?
does it say when the symbol first used in conjunction with Germany?
i am trying to show that the cross is older then the nazi bullshit.
(as you seem to want to point out so much)
too often someone wants to pin something on a logo or a symbol
what does it meen today?
it meens the WCC generation.
some good, some slackers.

to me it still meens germany.
meens the same to my relatives in Wuppertal Germany.

coad Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Well the Iron cross has been a symbol of Germany for over 1000 years.

The only official connection to VW that I'm aware of is the use of the military symbol on some (not all) WWII Kubelwagens and Schwimmwagens and Later on VW Things used by the German Army, but that cross looked like this:

I think the whole Iron Cross thing on cars is an outgrowth of the Bikers using it back in the 50's and 60's.

EZ Gruv Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:16 pm

notchback wrote: I hate Illinois Nazis.

HA!! :P

static Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:19 pm

If Peter Lorre had one on his old Ford, would it be the Maltese Falcon?

iowegian Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:34 pm

coad wrote: Not to nitpick, but stictly speaking that isn't a Maltese Cross, it's a Teutonic Cross.

Both date from the Crusades and all, but a true Maltese Cross has two distinct points on the end of each arm like this:

Since the Knights of Malta became famous for fighting off attacks where the enemy used flaming pots of burning oil they gained a reputation as firefighters, and that's why the Maltese Cross is a symbol of firemen all over the world to this very day:

Just something for you to file away in case you're ever on Jeopardy or trying to impress a fireman or something.
Coad, you are right: I've got to get me some of that "google" stuff.

clearsurf2001 Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Another historic account ...

The Iron Cross was originally established by King Friedrich Wilhelm III in March 1813. On 5th August 1914 Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and the King of Prussia, reestablished the medal. The Iron Cross was awarded without regard for nationality or social class to combatants for acts of heroism, bravery or leadership skills. During the First World War Germany awarded over five million of these medals to members of the armed forces: Grand Cross (5), First Class (288,000) and Second Class (5,200,000).

... and yes Dave ... I remember Schneider Cams,

ocguy106 Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 am

I stand corrected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_cross

Klemen Klemen Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:48 am

My thinking is:

- the germans were crusader in war (thats a fact)
- the aircooled VW are also german crusaders -> from war till now, a little more peaceful time

This is my conclusion and I like it! :D