TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can you tell me about this cross Page: Previous  1, 2
patrickm2213 Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:32 pm

In the simplest way I can think to explain it is that the iron cross is to german, what the bald eagle is to the united states.

notchback Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 pm

patrickm2213 wrote: In the simplest way I can think to explain it is that the iron cross is to german, what the bald eagle is to the united states. I'm sure the original poster knows exactly what you're talking about considering he is from Slovenia.

Klemen Klemen Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:19 am

notchback wrote: patrickm2213 wrote: In the simplest way I can think to explain it is that the iron cross is to german, what the bald eagle is to the united states. I'm sure the original poster knows exactly what you're talking about considering he is from Slovenia.

...meaning?

ho-dad Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:48 pm

The iron cross was also adopted by the surfer set in the '60's and thus is sometimes referred to as a "surfer cross." I've got a cool, little teak one I bought when I was eight years old.

Foxx Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:12 pm

ho-dad wrote: The iron cross was also adopted by the surfer set in the '60's and thus is sometimes referred to as a "surfer cross." I've got a cool, little teak one I bought when I was eight years old.
it has also been used by the 90's and 00 slacker set.
lots of west coast choppers type crap.

sickbug19 Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:53 pm

The Iron Cross came in to outlaw fashion (i guess what we would call it) when Hells Angels started to wear them to piss people off. The reason for this is beacause when they started riding, the war had ended about 10-15 years before that so it reminded American of the Germans as well as the Nazi even though the German had been using the cross for years before hand.

ERIC

coad Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 am

sickbug19 wrote: The Iron Cross came in to outlaw fashion (i guess what we would call it) when Hells Angels started to wear them to piss people off. The reason for this is beacause when they started riding, the war had ended about 10-15 years before that so it reminded American of the Germans as well as the Nazi even though the German had been using the cross for years before hand.

ERIC

It was also a pretty good way for a teenager to piss off his father who was probably a WWII Vet

patrickm2213 Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:03 am

Klemen Klemen wrote: notchback wrote: patrickm2213 wrote: In the simplest way I can think to explain it is that the iron cross is to german, what the bald eagle is to the united states. I'm sure the original poster knows exactly what you're talking about considering he is from Slovenia.

...meaning?

Sorry about that over sight on my part, but this is the coat of arms of Slovenia right?

Think of it in those terms as to what the meaning is. Do they use this with the military over there? If so, then basicly same mean as the eagle, cross, etc for all the countries(each basicly has there own symbol, but the idea/reason is basicly the same).

Now why do people use it? Bet 95% of the people that use it just think it looks like a cool, vintage german symbol.

Klemen Klemen Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:21 pm

patrickm2213 wrote: Klemen Klemen wrote: notchback wrote: patrickm2213 wrote: In the simplest way I can think to explain it is that the iron cross is to german, what the bald eagle is to the united states. I'm sure the original poster knows exactly what you're talking about considering he is from Slovenia.

...meaning?

Sorry about that over sight on my part, but this is the coat of arms of Slovenia right?

Think of it in those terms as to what the meaning is. Do they use this with the military over there? If so, then basicly same mean as the eagle, cross, etc for all the countries(each basicly has there own symbol, but the idea/reason is basicly the same).

Now why do people use it? Bet 95% of the people that use it just think it looks like a cool, vintage german symbol.

You are rigt!
That simbol of ours means:
three stars- taken from the sign of Celjski counts
three edges mountain- the highest mountain in Slovenia
two blue stripes-our biggest river and sea

I think it represent the unbeatable VW aircooled (nowadays)

Dusty1 Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:57 pm

Foxx4086 JHC wrote: lots of west coast choppers type crap.

Yeah yeah! Count on Frankie to nail the Jesse James connection!

Regardless of ancient history good ol' J.C. Whitney sold TONS of maltese cross mirrors and iron cross tail lights for chopper crap back in the '70s. Dixie Cycle had warehouses full of them, probably still do!

We all know that everything old is new again, count on the marketing genius of Mr. James to mine big bucks out of something that was passe... before he re-discovered and re-sold it! So now anything WCC has big ol' iron crosses all over it and of course the big ol' iron crosses have spilled out into the entire hot rod movement, heck, if you can't afford it in metal you can certainly afford the T-shirt!

Now who's that blonde chick who has Von Dutch spinnin' in his grave?!

mr. warehouse Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Since 94 / 95 I used the Iron Cross as the logo for my biz. I put it on shirts, etc. A few year back all my buddies (that never buya thing) were telling me how "played out" it was and I should change my shirts. So I did. I went with something we all now refer to as the snowflake. At any rate it took me 2 years to sell off all those shirts. When I would have sold the same amount in 3-4 months with the Iron Cross logo. Needless to say, the logo has been changed back.

Call it what you will, but the people that actually buy want that cross. Why? I don't care, but I'll be here to help them find it.

ho-dad Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:23 am

Quote: The Iron Cross came in to outlaw fashion (i guess what we would call it) when Hells Angels started to wear them to piss people off. The reason for this is beacause when they started riding, the war had ended about 10-15 years before that so it reminded American of the Germans as well as the Nazi even though the German had been using the cross for years before hand.

Remeber, a lot of early biker gangs were comprised of a lot of WW2 vets. Too bad Big Daddy Ed Roth isn't still around - he'd probably know when the Iron Cross first hit the biker/Kustom Kulture scene.

Yes, rebellion is the key word here - let's never stop rebelling!