TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gas prices where you are Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 132, 133, 134  Next
engineerscott Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm

notchback wrote: Not as much as most tax extremists would have people believe. The Federal gas tax is 18.4 per gallon. State taxes vary from a low of 7.5 per gallon in Georgia up to 31.9 per gallon in New York. There are at leaset two states (Kentucky and Nebraska) that have a variable rate, based on the fuel cost, so it's a higher amount right now. On top of that, some states make you pay sales tax on gas purchases, and in effect, tax a tax. Here's a chart of all the states, so you can see what you are paying:
http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

According the the Federal Government's own numbers as of March '06 on average, taxes (Federal, State, County, and City) make up 19% of the cost of a gallon of gas. Using the March '06 national average price of $2.43 this would mean the average American pays 46 cents per gallon in taxes (a little under $7 for the average fillup). Those of you in CA and other high tax areas will of course be paying more. Also keep in mind that this average excludes the effect of corporate taxes that producers and sellers pay which as we all know are passed directly on to the consumer.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

buggdude67 Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:17 pm

The cheapest gas as of 9:00 pm is Pocatella ID at $1.92 a gallon and the most expensive is in Kona, HI at $3.89 a gallon.

P-Dub Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:50 pm

I filled up with 91 at $3.47 a gallon, 10.3 gallons.

Hobbes Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:27 pm

$2.69 here in Springfield, MO. It went down ten cents.

Gary Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:30 pm

Hobbes wrote: $2.69 here in Springfield, MO. It went down ten cents.

Yep. I filled up yesterday morning and on the way home was cussing that it had dropped a dime.

MrBreeze Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:39 pm

$3.15 this morning on Long Island, this blows.

marmite_on_toast Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:27 pm

just checked and is aroud the 0.98 mark in the UK :roll:

oh well shite happens

alex608 Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:23 pm

this afternoon, santa rosa, ca.$3.09... :shock: and its gonna get worse berore it gets better folks...glad my car gets a solid 28mpg

notchback Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:37 pm

marmite_on_toast wrote: just checked and is aroud the 0.98 mark in the UK :roll:

oh well shite happens 0.98 = $1.7651
1.7651*3.7843 = $6.68/gallon. That's the price you have to pay to have a Queen. :lol:

gmag69 Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:48 pm

I live between 2 refineries here in NW Pennsylvania. Each is about a half hour away from me. Gas as of last nite was $2.99 for regular where I get gas. There is a gas station right in front of one of the one refinery and it has the highest prices of any station around. :shock: I have a gas card through where I work so I save about 5 cents a gallon. :)

Geno :D

my65vert Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:04 am

Paid $3.14 this morning for 91 octane.

gt1953 Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:09 pm

go to
gasbuddy.com

Bonzigh70 Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:26 pm

I work at a full-service gas station we have 91 at 4.05 I think it was when I left work Fri. our 87 serve yourself 3.29 but its probably 10 cents more today and another 10 on Sun when I get back on Mon it should between 3.40 and 3.50

trlaluwr Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:18 pm

This afternoon in Camp Connell, Califonia $3.19

tami Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:27 am

95 in finland 1,34euros/litre

sixfootdan Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 am

Just paid $3.30 yesterday but I guess complaining won't help, You are still going to keep on buying it no matter what.

surfbus Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi there

we just holidayed in california from the UK, we drove from LA to Vegas, then back to LA and all the way up the highway 1 to San Francisco.....we we're delighted to be paying $3 to $3.5 a gallon at home we pay $6.46 a gallon!!!

Because we have always paid over the odds for fuel we have had to tailor our lives around it.....we have been driving 'compacts' and diesels from the late 70's.....we get cheaper road tax on economical or low emission and low cc vehicles.
Small mopeds and motorcycles are cheap on road tax and insurance and get free parking in the city.

It hurts you guys now because its more of a shock, but what worries me most is that in a fortnight in ths US, we saw 3 environmental programmes about the running out of oil, and of the growth of china.....saying that if they expand at the rate they are doing now...and each household owns a car in the next 20 years...that we will have no oil.

Its blatant propaganda to gear you guys to see china as the next enemy, and I find it scary.....they havent used up the oil so far , we have , we all owned and driven cars for the past 30/40 years.

I'm sure my government and yours will find an excuse to start a war on Iran, and then China in the next 20/30 years, but they won't have the balls to say its about the control of oil.

Here in the UK, because of the cost of fuel we live a tiny bit diferently...if your kid goes to school locally you walk them...if you can cycle to work or bus it you do that.

53 0val Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:48 pm

Your whole country can fit in the state of California. I drive longer to work than you drive on vacation. You can't compare the lifestyles. We refine your gas.......of course it's going to cost you more. Your economy is directly tied to ours and has been since WWII. I don't understand your point? Am I glad I pay $3.50 a gallon.........no. Am I glad you pay $6.00.......yes, as long as you continue to buy it from us. :wink: There is more oil in North America than in Saudi Arabia. It will reach a price where it will be cost effective to go after it. China will also refine their own product as well. If you think "they" are going to be blackmailed by the UAR...you better think again. Saudi Arabia's reserves will be gone in thirty years and they know it. They will fight the war you speak of over here and they have already started it. :?

Kevin'65 Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 am

It's quite more expensive over here, in Belgium...
I paid 1.46 a liter last week, for 38 liters...
Which becomes : $1.825/liter which means $6.945/gallon

Fuck... filling up a bug fuel tank costs $70 now...

surfbus Mon May 01, 2006 4:28 am

my point 53 oval is that 70% of new vehicle sales in the US are of V8 size and over.......your vehicle manufacturers are doing you no favours...if gas gets expensive and you need more to run a vehicle.

Our whole economy by the way is linked to the european union [which sucks big time] not the US ...NONE of our gas comes from the US ...Check your facts, it is bought and refined from the middle east...we also produce a small amount from Scottish oil fields.

My point is that you will end up paying as much as us, but it will kill your economy unless you demand changes from your car makers [over here and the rest of the world 2.0l engine is a big one] as soon as they see a market for smaller engine sizes and cars with bigger fuel economy they willrespond.
Every other car we saw on our trip was an escalade...or a dodge ram, or a 6 litre deisel, your lucky if these things do 20 mpg.
We drive vehicles that do 40-90 mpg [I have a diesel vw 1.7 sdi which does 90 mpg on a motorway trip]

complaining about price increases is not going to help you, sorry if it causes offence but you are fed so much bull by your own media.