TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: squareback wheelbase q's
motolou Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 pm

hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew if squarebacks had the same wheelbase as the notchbacks. sorry for the silly questions but vw are knew to me. thanks in advance. lou

EverettB Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Yes, the floor pans and drivetrains are the same.

motolou Fri May 05, 2006 12:23 am

oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! :lol: I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?

blankmange Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 am

motolou wrote: oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! :lol: I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?

yes - they are the same; it is the rear fenders that are different from a notch and square...

but swapping the front fenders, hood and doors would get you... the same looking car...

Bobnotch Fri May 05, 2006 7:21 am

blankmange wrote: motolou wrote: oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! :lol: I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?

yes - they are the same; it is the rear fenders that are different from a notch and square...

but swapping the front fenders, hood and doors would get you... the same looking car...

Yeah, but you might need conversion door hinges, if you're using late Square / Fastback doors on a Notch. After 65, VW changed the door hinges on the Square and Fastback to the 2 bolt design, while the Notch stayed 3 bolt until the end. :roll: Also keep in mind that the later (70 to 73) used different front fenders and hood than the early cars (up to 69). These late parts won't fit un the early car without heavy modification (or the reverse is true early parts won't fit on a late car).

blankmange Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 am

Bobnotch wrote: blankmange wrote: motolou wrote: oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! :lol: I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?

Yeah, but you might need conversion door hinges, if you're using late Square / Fastback doors on a Notch. After 65, VW changed the door hinges on the Square and Fastback to the 2 bolt design, while the Notch stayed 3 bolt until the end. :roll: Also keep in mind that the later (70 to 73) used different front fenders and hood than the early cars (up to 69). These late parts won't fit un the early car without heavy modification (or the reverse is true early parts won't fit on a late car).

gotcha - I was comparing year to year on cars...

Bobnotch Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 am

But if you go back to his original post, he didn't list a year. :shock: And the doors can cause a major headache if you're not aware of the change. :wink: He also mentioned he wanted to do something sinister, I wonder what that ment? Cut the roof off? 8) Put 2 front ends on the same car? Built a half back?

Russ Wolfe Fri May 05, 2006 1:59 pm

AND, unknown to a lot of people, the T-3 also has the same wheelbase as the T-1 AND the T-2. 2400mm (94.48")
Track is not quite the same.
T-1 = 1305/1310mm
T-2 = 1370mm
T-3 = 1310mm

motolou Fri May 05, 2006 6:15 pm

I found a post about choppin vw rat rod style :lol: I was thinkin front mounted engine, stacks out the hood, you know the normal stuff. I hope it don't offend any traditionalists, but I do like the lines of type 3s, just with a personal twist :D

Godsbug Fri May 05, 2006 9:22 pm

As long as the car isn't worth restoring. It kills me to see perfectly good VW's mangled. I knew a guy who bought a 66 T1 from an old lady who bought it new. This car was in pristine condition with 60k miles on it and he hacked it into a baja and primered over the paint. It was painful.