TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Auto Transport/Shipping Information Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
John Moxon Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:58 am

I was quoted $400 from SF to LA in 2007, so it seems like a good deal to me too.

Sgtrock64 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:17 am

I used another member's recommendation on this thread for having a 1975 beetle convertible shipped from Greenville, NC to Edison, NJ by D&L Transport and I also highly recommend their service. He is a broker as well as a shipper. I was assigned out to another truck service he uses for my particular route. Communication by both Jack (Dispatcher) and Slavic (Driver) were excellent. Fee was $450 for an open trailer. Left NC by 3pm and was delivered at my door in NJ as requested by 6:30am. (Driver pulled over and slept overnight in NJ as it was a 9-10 hour drive)

D&L Transport - Owner is Don; Assistant and Dispatcher is Jack
Based out of Charlotte, North Carolina
704-974-1462

Truck Service used was S&R Transport = Driver was Slavic, Wife is Renata; Based out of Holly Springs, North Carolina
919-961-5066

far rider Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 am

In August Jayhawk Auto Transport moved a 67 bug from Colorado to Vermont 4 days after I booked them. I posted that experience here earlier.
I recently purchased a single cab in New Mexico and tried a different company, Express Auto Transsport.(EAT was a little cheaper) They worked on the single for 2 weeks and could not find someone to bring the vehicle east. So I canceled and booked Jayhawk on March 2. On March 3 they picked the single up! Its on its way home as I write this and should be here on the 7th.
I was in the right place at the right time or Jayhawk is very good.

Golden Chariots Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:57 am

Good Day All, sorry if I am repeating myself here, but I didn't want you to miss the post elsewhere.

For some time now we have been receiving a lot of enquiries from this site and today I contact Everett Barnes the Webmaster to ask his permission to post about how we can help.

Essentially we can move any vehicle from the USA, whether it be a 10 seater helicopter, power boat racer, Ferrari or even a VW... :lol:

We can offer a full service from paying for the Vehicle (With your money of course :lol: :lol: ) to collecting the vehicle from the seller, customs clearing in the US, Shipping to the UK, Customs Clearance in the UK and delivery to your home.

Please remember though if the vehicle is a non runner then it cannot ship Roll On Roll Off, it can only ship containerised.

Be careful though as shipping Containerised from Long Beach on the West Coast is very expensive, whereas shipping from Houston in Texas is good, if it is a runner, then ship it RoRo but you can't have any parts in the vehicle.

Have a look at our site for more detailed info http://www.goldenchariotsinternational.com

As Everett has been so kind, we will offer a £25 discount to any member who quotes this site.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

John

far rider Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 am

Do not use Express Auto Transport. I recently posted about canceling Express Auto Transport. I would now like to add that I would NOT recommend them. They would not refund my payment until 10 business days passed after canceling. You cannot cancel the contract until 15 days to begin with so now add 10 business days to that and they hold onto your money for a month. I'm not sure how they think its OK to hold up the return of your money because they weren't able to do what they are supposed to do and find you a transporter. I think they went to the same school of morality as Bernie Madoff. But it gets better because even though they issue you a refund - the refund can take up to 5 days before the money shows back up in your account. I canceled on Feb. 27 and my payment of $970 just today, March 20, is finally in my account.
On another note I also think its not a good idea to pay the full freight when booking your transporter for the above reason. I think the deposit is the brokers fee and the driver gets the balance. By paying the driver on delivery you protect yourself a little. Example, the transporter that carried my single cab broke down 60 miles away (supposedly) and wasn't sure when he'd be running again. I rented a u-haul and negotiated with the driver to deduct the rental cost from the bill.

plain Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm about to ship a car from Southern California to the middle of Ohio and trying to figure out a shipper.

Anyone have a number/contact for River City Transport?

Anyone have experience with Angel's Moving Autos? They have a HUGE amount of positive reviews on www.transportreviews.com

Any other recommendations from SoCal to Ohio?

Thanks
Paul

NCdad Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:35 pm

I went with DAS last August from Dessert Hot Springs, CA to Maiden, NC.
on Aug. 1 2008 set date for pick up of 2 beetles on 8/24/08, as they had to be moved since the city was fining my wifes mother in law for them sitting there.
they didnt get picked up until the following week. as they stated they had trouble finding a driver that could get over there from LA.

The Driver that ended up picking it up was from Statesville, NC. so he knew where to deliver them to.

Total Charge was $3200 for all.
I was getting quotes for $2500 to $3000, but reviews I read elsewhere were reading that DAS was worth the extra. BAH

wish I knew about the Samba before I shipped.

splitpile Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 am

When booking a transport company you are doing a crap shoot. 95% are brokers and do not have their own contract drivers and/or own trucks.
The job will get picked up by a driver from a broker who listed the move at the highest price.
I just wasted almost 2 weeks with 2 A+ rated brokers (aka auto shippers)who had a good price. NEITHER could get the load picked up.
I then posted on U-Ship .com (a service of ebarf) and the load was bid on, I commited and picked up in 3 days "for 50 dollars more then the brokers prices" aand will be delivered in 4 days, Lake Havasu to Palm Beach, Florida.
I checked the ratings and feedback of the company "I PICKED" to move the load, so far, so good. I'll report back Tuesday when the bus arrives in Florida and post the companys name then

plain Sat May 16, 2009 11:27 am

I just had Bullseye ship my 65' Beetle from Southern California to Columbus Ohio. Cost was $1030. Bullseye is a broker but Carla is great to deal with. They deal specific shipping companies that have good repurations. It took about 3 weeks to get the car from Quote date to actually having the car buy it came in perfect shape. Most of that time was just finding a load of cars going out to the midwest from southern California. It only took 5 days actual shipping time. I'd use Bullseye again for sure.

dreadnotmusic Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:16 pm

I just used Specialized Transportation Services to ship both of my VW's from San Francisco to Hamilton, IL. I can't believe what a great deal I got. Terry was the driver and was AMAZING to work with.

This was a single ramp trailer, and that's all they use. This means that your VW won't get loaded and unloaded ten times on it's way as they deliver other cars.

I only paid $1550 to ship two cars over 2000 miles. I can't believe what a deal it was. Terry called me twice on the trip to check on us since we were following behind in another car. Being active duty military, I have to move every few years and have shipped cars several times. I will NEVER use another company after this.

Pick up pictures:

And the delivery five days later:

Here's the company:

Williamtaylor33 Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:45 pm

splitpile wrote: When booking a transport company you are doing a crap shoot. 95% are brokers and do not have their own contract drivers and/or own trucks.
The job will get picked up by a driver from a broker who listed the move at the highest price.
I just wasted almost 2 weeks with 2 A+ rated brokers (aka auto shippers)who had a good price. NEITHER could get the load picked up.
I then posted on U-Ship .com (a service of ebarf) and the load was bid on, I commited and picked up in 3 days "for 50 dollars more then the brokers prices" aand will be delivered in 4 days, Lake Havasu to Palm Beach, Florida.
I checked the ratings and feedback of the company "I PICKED" to move the load, so far, so good. I'll report back Tuesday when the bus arrives in Florida and post the companys name then
So...what happend?

buguy Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:46 am

dreadnotmusic wrote: I just used Specialized Transportation Services to ship both of my VW's from San Francisco to Hamilton, IL. I can't believe what a great deal I got. Terry was the driver and was AMAZING to work with.

This was a single ramp trailer, and that's all they use. This means that your VW won't get loaded and unloaded ten times on it's way as they deliver other cars.

I only paid $1550 to ship two cars over 2000 miles. I can't believe what a deal it was. Terry called me twice on the trip to check on us since we were following behind in another car. Being active duty military, I have to move every few years and have shipped cars several times. I will NEVER use another company after this.

Any chance you have a number for them?

John Moxon Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:17 am

Google is your friend:

US dot: 1220422
name: TERENCE WATT
address: 552 STATE ROUTE 49
CLEVELAND, NY 13042
phone: (315) 729-8974 / (Non) e-None
fax: (Non) e-None
email: [email protected]

CookingRock Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 pm

EDIT: LATER IN THE DAY AFTER I POSTED THIS MESSAGE, I GOT A CALL FROM THE CARRIER WHO TOLD ME THE VEHICLE WILL BE PICKED UP AND DELIVERED NEXT WEEK. LEST WE UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE SAMBA FORUM.

Wie geht's, everybody!

So, I finally found the bus I want. Went down to California from Portland, OR to check it out. The bus checked out as I expected and made the purchase for what I thought was a fair shake. BTW, The Vallero's of Auburn are absolutely GREAT folks and I recommend them to anyone.

So, here's the issue:

Prior to my purchase, I made arrangements with a transport group in Washington state to put the bus on a flat-bed and bring it to me once I closed the deal. This group also boasts a pretty good reputation online among other VW owners.

They told me the cost: $400--again, it seems like a good deal.

After being instructed to pay the funds via PayPal, the transport group told me that it would be scheduled for pick-up and deliver the following week.

The funds went through on 28 Oct, 2009, per an email confirmation from PayPal. The funds were also deducted from the account through which PayPal transactions are dispersed.

At this point in time, I've not heard a peep from the people transporting the Bus. It's been over a week since they've received their money and I'm genuinely reluctant to leave bad reviews and generally flame anyone. I prefer to give someone the shadow of a doubt--something serious might have come up and they might have to suspend operations.

Don't you think they should at least contact me?

How long should I wait before seeking further remedies? (Like, calling consumer affairs, or the transportation department where they hold their license.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,
CR

PetulantCobra Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:34 pm

What ever you do DO NOT use express auto transport out of Ohio. They are ebay's preferred partner. However I waited a month and it was never picked up. I asked for my deposit back thrice, waited two weeks, contacted the BBB, threatened lawsuit then got my deposit back a week later.

I highly recommend T&J Auto Transport. I called them one afternoon and they got my van on a truck in less than 18 hours. They have unparalleled customer service. I definitely would use them again.

DesertGolfGuy Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:49 am

has anyone rented a big truck from u-haul or penske and put their vw inside, while using a tow dolly to move a second vehicle?

How would I get the car loaded into the truck?

Lost job, no health insurance, house going away, but I don't want to lose the cars. Moving from Arizona to West Virginia.

Thanks for advice.

Russ Wolfe Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:54 am

Find a freight loading dock that you can back up to, to load and unload the one inside.

far rider Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Haven't needed shipping lately but just for curious wanted to check in and see what was going on. Not at all surprised to see another major NO for Express auto transport. If interested you can see my previous post for my saga but suffice to say never pay in full up front unless you are guaranteed of getting your money returned promptly when you cancel.

Bruce Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 pm

DesertGolfGuy wrote: has anyone rented a big truck from u-haul or penske and put their vw inside,
How would I get the car loaded into the truck?

Call up a local towing co and ask for a ramp truck. They can pull the car up on the ramp, tilt the deck up to level with the floor of the U-Haul. Then drive it in. If the ramp truck is too low, you could have the guy drive it up on blocks.

50 Kafer Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:57 am

Here is a link to U-Haul's towing page, good information, check the page links for more specific trailer or truck information. With U-Haul you do not have to rent the truck as well as the trailer to tow a car with as long as your tow vehicle is up to it.

http://www.uhaul.com/towing/