TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beetle Suitcase..found in Aussie Page: 1, 2  Next
volks_addict Sat May 13, 2006 6:52 pm

Friend of a friend located this for me ...anybody know history value etc ..has to be post oval by the shape ..its in pretty good nik..thanks
Rayv
Sawtell Australia[img][/img]

IN2VWS Sat May 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Are you sure its VW? Does it have any markings or makers name on it?

Most of the VW suitcases I've seen, are like a wedge shape if you look at it from the side, as that is the shape to fit under the front bonnet or they were just flat.

I will look through my catalogs to see if I can find any info for you.

volks_addict Sun May 14, 2006 4:07 am

Thanks for the effort ... it doesnt have any branding...but does sit neatly under the bonnet of a 61 Beetle

IN2VWS Mon May 15, 2006 4:11 am

Here are some scans from various catalogs
1956 Aftermarket catalog:

1963 Swiss VW catalog:

1957 German VW catalog:

53 0val Mon May 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Great pictures......thanks. :wink:

volks_addict Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 am

Teah great pics from the archives!!!..asking around the scene in Aussie ...seems others recall them ..with curved top.....might be a genuine Aussie Accessory

IN2VWS Wed May 17, 2006 3:26 am

volks_addict wrote: Teah great pics from the archives!!!..asking around the scene in Aussie ...seems others recall them ..with curved top.....might be a genuine Aussie Accessory

I doubt it is a genuine Aussie VW accessory. I have many lists of Australian VW accessories, and Volkswagen never offered suitcases as an accessory in Australia. If someone else has literature showing suitcases in Australia, please prove me wrong.

There is no need for a curved top suitcase in a VW. The curved top would be at least 10" away from the bonnet. I am sure your case is rare and unique, but not for a VW.

Here is a sample of one of the Aussie lists. Note the VA numbers, unique to Australia I believe.

Brezelwerks Wed May 17, 2006 5:59 am

I have seen this suitcase over the years a few times, its known to be specifically for a beetle and stored in the bonnet, but can't recall the exact maker, it was made aftermarket, as the bowed feature was the selling point. There was also a later (bigger and made of mostly plastic) 60's version of this style (with the bowed side) that had a label with a "bug-something" and a logo to match, also aftermarket. There were hundreds of non-VW (claptrapery) accessory things available for these feature challenged cars made during the 50's-60s.

As for whether or not the bowed feature made any difference or not, if you were stacking two of these thin suitcases in the bonnet, as there were 3, 4, and 5 pc luggage sets at one point or another, or on top of other stuff, perhaps this style on top under the bonnet would make sense, maybe not too, but I do think if you study the geometries here you can maximize your storage capacity under the bonnet by using this suitcase, someone would have to try it. The later 60's version mentioned was about twice as thick I would think for this reason.

Gary

IN2VWS Wed May 17, 2006 6:31 am

Hmmm.. OK. I would love to see pics from catalogs if anyone has any.

I agree with you that if anything it would be aftermarket. Definetly not genuine VW though.

It would be interesting to see a photo of it held close to the bonnet to see how close to the bonnet curve it is.

Brezelwerks Wed May 17, 2006 10:51 am

Its actually a strange design feature I think for a bonnet suitcase. While it may help in not interfering on the side to side ends where the hood actually rolls down (depending upon how high this suitcase would be placed), the hood is mainly flat across the top and not rounded. So to some degree the bow may be more of a psychological (and creative marketing) selling feature, as a functional feature it does seem limited, would be an interesting thing to test out though.

Gary

Tempo man Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 pm

I don't think it is for a VW. It might be for somthing more exotic.
That is not to say it can't be used in a VW, but it was not made for a VW.

Kind of like putting 356 rims on your car. They aren't made for VW, but they fit.

53 0val Wed May 17, 2006 5:41 pm

Brezelwerks wrote: Its actually a strange design feature I think for a bonnet suitcase. While it may help in not interfering on the side to side ends where the hood actually rolls down (depending upon how high this suitcase would be placed), the hood is mainly flat across the top and not rounded. So to some degree the bow may be more of a psychological (and creative marketing) selling feature, as a functional feature it does seem limited, would be an interesting thing to test out though.

Gary

The curve on that suitcase is not meant to be on the top.......it is meant to curve against the back of the car it was designed for. Mercedes and BMW both have "fitted" suitcases that the curved sides are just that; sides. :wink:

OilDropMan Wed May 17, 2006 11:56 pm

For years I’ve thought this suitcase was a highly sought after accessory for VW.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=75962

Myth busting going on in this topic, I suppose. It’s about time to wipe it of my wish list.

IN2VWS Thu May 18, 2006 12:40 am

OilDropMan wrote: For years I’ve thought this suitcase was a highly sought after accessory for VW.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=75962

Myth busting going on in this topic, I suppose. It’s about time to wipe it of my wish list.

When looking at he picture, I doubt that VW would have supplied somthing that scratches the fuel tank everytime you turn a corner.
I think 53 Oval hit the nail on the head with the suitcase standing up explaination.

volks_addict Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 am

Thanks for the follow up ..esp oildropman for the photo link...thats definitely the baby

Brezelwerks Fri May 19, 2006 10:51 am

Picture of it fitted is interesting, its arguably convincing that it was made to fit the beetle, as without the smaller side ends the case would not fit inside and allow for the hood to close, and neither would it float/slide much side to side. It appears very secure and intentionally designed to fit that specific location. Agreed its not a VW designed/made ordered item, but something almost any luggage maker at the time would of designed (as an improvement) and fabricated for the beetle and sold in various ways.

As for it resting partially on top of the tank, I don't see that as an issue for the time, as these cars were basically sold as utilitarian/functional vehicles. But in my opinion this suitcase was perhaps designed to fit the hump tank starting in 56, which allowed greater bonnet clearnance for things like luggage, seems it would be a more precise fit. But even if it was bought for earlier cars, the case is only a light vulcanfiber press board, it will perhaps leave a minor scuff mark, nothing that is going to scratch anywhere near down to even primer on the tank. A buyer at the time would be much more concerned about maximizing storage space inside a suitcase than maybe scuffing his tank. But most Germans I know would probably lay down a light blanket anyways to equally protect both the tank and the suitcase (or at least think of this when putting it in the car).

I can't see how the bow end would be helpful anywhere else inside the car, all other panels in the luggage area are flat and space is rectangular (as the rear luggage space is), there would be no reason for the bowed top, not an efficient use of space, and it would move around a bit. I'm a believer that such design features as a bowed top are built in for a reason, one of the things the Germans do best.

I'd pose the question about this case while at HO or Bad Camberg, as there will likely be a few of these in cars there, someone knows the exact history on these.

Gary

justbuggin Sat May 20, 2006 3:29 am

I'm pretty certain that I've seen a photo of this case in the front of a beetle, but it had a matching thin flat suitcase that sat below it.

IN2VWS Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 am

Finally found one in a 1956 Gute Fahrt magazine.

Dangermouse Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Ever seen one of these?

We were given this case some time back, as you can see it's a perfect fit for the rear luggage compartment and we were told at the time that it was an original VW accessory case. I've never seen another quite like it.

Is it likely a rare and/or valuable accessory?

'Cos if not, I'm going to turn it into a rear subwoofer case :twisted:

Peter_Plade Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:49 am

I just bought one of these front suitcases, so my question is now,
is there anyone that has the original brackets to put it in? Or maybe just some good pictures?

I have this little picture from a accessory brochure that I have.