TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Machine Shop in Ontario, Canada? Page: 1, 2  Next
Toaster on Wheels Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:27 am

Howdy,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 75 Bay Window and presently have the FI 1800cc engine lying on the floor of my garage. The plan is to pull everything off and "walk" the crankcase/headers over to a good machine shop and have them "give it the works".

Anyone got any tips on a trusted machine shop that has experience with AC VWs in Ontario? I'm in Ottawa, so somewhere in the valley is preferred, but I'm mobile and travel around Southern Ontario frequently.

Cheers! :D

germansupplyscott Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:11 am

try contacting cory petrie, he is a VW dude who lives in cornwall. he will know for sure of some good machine shops. i haven't spoken to him in a while, but he is a real good mechanic and owns quite a few VW's.

cory petrie - [email protected]

Toaster on Wheels Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:32 am

Thanks for the advice Scott. I was wondering if I would get a reply from you. I've seen your online shop and other posts here in Samba and was impressed to see such an active contributer from Toronto?! Doesn't everyone in Toronto drive Beamers? :lol:

I'll give cory a shout.

Cheers, :D

JMazier Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I stay away from beamers unless they are 2002s! Good luck with your engine!

germansupplyscott Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:32 pm

jguptill wrote: Doesn't everyone in Toronto drive Beamers?

no, they drive these:

Zeen Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 pm

germansupplyscott wrote: jguptill wrote: Doesn't everyone in Toronto drive Beamers?

no, they drive these:

Is that an Avro Arrow?

shane r Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:04 am

You could try ringing John at John's Bug shop in Niagra Falls. They've got a shop and are a fantastic parts supplier. I live in the UK now, but am originally from 'the valley'. Every time I'm back visiting, I drop in on John. They have a web site too...

http://www.johnsbugshop.com/

Shane

steponmebbbboom Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:30 pm

shane r wrote: You could try ringing John at John's Bug shop in Niagra Falls. They've got a shop and are a fantastic parts supplier. I live in the UK now, but am originally from 'the valley'. Every time I'm back visiting, I drop in on John. They have a web site too...

http://www.johnsbugshop.com/

Shane

Scott is closer than John to ottawa. Ive dealt with Ron Cashman just outside of ottawa before and his prices were good, but that was four years ago and I dont know if his shop is capable of a type IV overhaul. I suggest boxing the parts, renting a Smart and running it down to Scott's. I cant think of anyone closer to ottawa that I trust.

Toaster on Wheels Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Steponmebbbboom, ya the last time I had my engine out I was dealing with Ron Cashman's. In particular there was an older gentleman by the name of George who has unfortunately passed away since then. George certainly treated me right, even made a couple of house calls when I was desperately scratching my head for an answer. His son (Joe) still runs a garage in Westboro area, although I'm not sure how much experience he has with Air Cooled engines.

Scott, no reply from Cory yet. BTW, where's your garage in Toronto? I might be heading down that way this coming weekend. Might you be interested in a engine to play with? :D Send me an email if you get a chance.

steponmebbbboom Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 pm

No shit? Poor George, I remember that guy.

You will enjoy Scott's awesome shop and the neighborhood as well. Add a couple hours to roam around and enjoy the shops and restaurants, as well as dealing with traffic. :wink:

Sloride Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 pm

Avenue's garage is the name of the place that George's son runs. They have always been good to me. I never knew George but his son Joe is honest and great to deal with. Him and Marty (Young guy trained under George) know their stuff. They are the only folks in town I trust with my stuff when I don't do it myself. I have seen Marty rebuild several type one motors over the past 4 to 5 years I have been going there. They do a lot of top end rebuilds on type II's. They are worth giving a call. Their number is 725 - 5252. If you want to talk off line fire me a PM.

Craig

Toaster on Wheels Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 am

Thanks for the info Craig! I've dealt with Joe and Avenues before and I totally agree that if I were to trust anyone with my VW in Ottawa it would have to be them.

I guess my thinking was that I know they get a lot of general service going through their shop (water-cooled, air-cooled, import, domestic - you name it), so how much time and attention would they have for a detailed rebuild? By the sounds of what you're saying, they've done quite a bit. I'll definitely look into it.

Cheers, :D

assiegordon Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:29 am

You can also try Woody's, between Renfrew & Cobden on highway 17. He knows his VW's inside out. I will not trust anyone else with either the bus ('65) or my TDI.

keaster Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Bringing a topic way way back from the dead, any new machine shops in the Ontario Canada area? Close to Niagara?

I know most will say Johns but does he do machining there or out source?

germansupplyscott Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm

what kind of machine work are you looking to have done?

Millennium Falcon Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm

I saw this ad on kijiji last week. I do not have any info about this shop or their work but thought it was worth bookmarking for future reference. Maybe it is some one who is also a Samba member. Not close to Niagara. Of course my first call would be to Scott at German Supply.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-c...Z473441590

germansupplyscott Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

link above from cornwall is joe leroux.

pioneer1 Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

try "Steven's Auto Electric" in Grimsby/Winona- just down the road from you and has a full service machine & engine rebuild shop

keaster Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 pm

pioneer1 wrote: try "Steven's Auto Electric" in Grimsby/Winona- just down the road from you and has a full service machine & engine rebuild shop

They do VW engine's?

Joe Leroux Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm

hey not sure what you need done but I do all machining to all type 1 engines I am located in Cornwall Ontario