TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior mirror removal
KTPhil Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:57 pm

The plastic on my 35 year old interior rearview mirror has evaporated, so it's time to replace it. I have a replacement assembly, but I've never removed the old one on this car. Old bugs used three screws, but my '71 uses a no-screw mounting method I am not familiar with. The lugs on the replacement do not suggest a method. How do I get the old one out without damaging either the metal or the headliner material?

Godsbug Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:51 pm

If it's like my old 69 bug I had, you twist it and remove it.

KTPhil Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:17 pm

There are two bumps on the left and right sides of the maounting surface. Perhaps they keep it located? Does it matter whether you twist left or right? Thanks!

Locknar Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:20 pm

It does not matter L or R.. Just twist and pull. It works that way on my 73

KTPhil Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:33 pm

Sorry to be dense... how far do I twist? 90 degrees? 45?
My headliner is 35 years old and I don't want to risk tearing it, so the less stress the better.

Godsbug Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Just twist it until it pops out. It's something like 90 degrees. I don't think your headliner will rip, the mirror should just slide across the top of the headliner. It really is a lot easier and less dangerous to your headliner than you may think it is. It'll take less than 10 seconds to do, and then you'll laugh at yourself for making it a bigger deal than it was.

I'm pretty sure that I might possibly have the potential to be right. :wink:

Russ Wolfe Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:35 am

Just yank real hard on it. It will come right out. No twisting really needed. It is designed to pop out if your head hits it in an accident.

KTPhil Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:49 am

I tried tugging without twisting, and it barely budged. I didn't want to bend the sheet metal it mounts to if there was some tab holding it in. Chubby Checkers and I will do the twist later today.

Russ Wolfe Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:43 pm

KTPhil wrote: I tried tugging without twisting, and it barely budged. I didn't want to bend the sheet metal it mounts to if there was some tab holding it in. Chubby Checkers and I will do the twist later today.

Pretend you are trying to steal it. :twisted:

SquareTone Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:15 am

The mount looks kind of like the spades in a deck of cards. It pops between two spring steel rods that are parallel to the windshield. It should pop straight out, but I would try the twist method. I managed to break the mounting base on a mirror trying to pry it straight.

KTPhil Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:46 am

Ah, so it doesn't pop directly into the sheet metal, good! I'll wiggle it back and forth with a little more verve and see if it pops out. I was afraid of bending a sheet metal edge if it mounted directly. This sounds a lot more forgiving.