TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gas milage
gorblob Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:27 pm

Hey guys, I just took my 72 square on a 800+ mile round trip. All in all it did great, but I've noticed something that is bothering me. I got about 30 mpg going there and back but when I'm in town and not doing any highway driving I notice that I'm getting like seriously 8 or 10 mpg. I don't know what the deal is, its running so rich that my tail pipes are turning black from all the excess stuff that isn't being burnt off. I just recently put new plugs, wires, cap and switched from points to electronic ignition. Can you all give me some clue as to where to look for solving this problem, thanks for the help.

67stang302 Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:40 pm

First off we will need to know is it fuel injected or have carbs been put on it .

gorblob Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:02 pm

sorry, i forgot to mention that part. it still has injection, i've thought about swapping for carbs just becuase i have more experience with them. thanks for the help

Crippler Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:11 pm

gorblob wrote: sorry, i forgot to mention that part. it still has injection, i've thought about swapping for carbs just becuase i have more experience with them. thanks for the help

...and Tram faints.

30mpg. thats pretty good. i wish i could figure out exactly how many mpg i got, but my odometer doesnt work. *sigh*

vwfye Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:13 pm

i'd start testing the the cold start circuit and such. i bet if you drive only around town and pull the plugs, they will be black!