TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fate of the VW Trends bus Page: Previous  1, 2
NorCalWeekender Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:22 am

I bought the vintage issue of HVWs this year just cause I haven't bought an issue of a US mag in forever...and was reminded why I don't bother buying them anymore. The writing is so dull. There's just no life to it. I was through the whole thing in 30 min and haven't picked it up since. :P

amishman Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 am

NorCalRiviera wrote: I bought the vintage issue of HVWs this year just cause I haven't bought an issue of a US mag in forever...and was reminded why I don't bother buying them anymore. The writing is so dull. There's just no life to it. I was through the whole thing in 30 min and haven't picked it up since. :P

That is like the August Hot VW that just arrived in the mail yesterday. 3/4 of it is ads and I was in and out of the mag in minutes. 8-(

TheSambaMag sounds good to me!

tj

arthurnugen Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:51 am

I actually wrote to Ryan Price once and pointed out all the typos/grammatical errors in one issue of Trends; there were at least 20. He wrote back and was very embarrased and I did notice the next issues were much better. Unfortunately, it was gone a few months later.

Hot VWs better than Trends? I never bought Hot VWs when Trends was still out because they HARDLY EVER featured a bus and still don't. I mean really, are there that many people that are still interested in sand rails? :roll:

I just buy the UK mags now. They remind me of the VW Trends from like 7 or 8 years ago.

NorCalWeekender Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:56 am

amishman wrote: NorCalRiviera wrote: I bought the vintage issue of HVWs this year just cause I haven't bought an issue of a US mag in forever...and was reminded why I don't bother buying them anymore. The writing is so dull. There's just no life to it. I was through the whole thing in 30 min and haven't picked it up since. :P

That is like the August Hot VW that just arrived in the mail yesterday. 3/4 of it is ads and I was in and out of the mag in minutes. 8-(

tj

I think the August issue has Kelley Park coverage...would you take a peek and let me know if there's anything on Bring Your Own Bus this year?

pyrOman Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:21 am

Was this in the HVW or the Trends? :?

thom Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:37 am

Print is dead - long live print.

Major Woody Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:05 am

That's me in the picture walking behind your trailer, Pyro!

Long time no see. Thanks again for the Corona :D

Juan Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:08 am

I liked the cars VW Trends featured, at least half the times I'd pick up the magazine at a Barnes & Noble to see if I liked it. I didnt like the freaking size of the pictures. They'd have a huge opening picture and then all the detail pics were tiny tiny

I didnt usually like the cars HOT VWs featured, but I found their tech articles more helpful and better put together. But more than half the magazine just bored me.

I like the UK mags cause they are bigger in size, the pictures are bigger, their historical articles have pretty rare images, they seem to have more of their own style as far as (graphic) designing and writing attractive headlines, and you get to see a lot of rare Europen cars that we dont get to see much of over here.

The writing I find to be on the duller side on all the VW mags I've read. And I've found all sort of mistakes in every one of them.

amishman Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:27 am

NorCalRiviera wrote: amishman wrote: NorCalRiviera wrote: I bought the vintage issue of HVWs this year just cause I haven't bought an issue of a US mag in forever...and was reminded why I don't bother buying them anymore. The writing is so dull. There's just no life to it. I was through the whole thing in 30 min and haven't picked it up since. :P

tj

I think the August issue has Kelley Park coverage...would you take a peek and let me know if there's anything on Bring Your Own Bus this year?

I do not have it in front of me but do not remember seeing any verbage on BYOB. I also could have overlooked it.

tj

Wheelie Pete Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:54 am

If you read Samba everyday, you don't need any V-Dub Magazine!!

pyrOman Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 am

Major Woody wrote: That's me in the picture walking behind your trailer, Pyro!

Long time no see. Thanks again for the Corona :D

So that was you blocking the view of my rig!?! :x

I used to keep all the issues of both mags but then realized the weight I was lugging around every time I moved. :roll:

Now I only keep just the "ones that matter" and sell my other issues for a $1 each! 8)

And as you all know, all politics aside, "mi cerveza es su cerveza"! :P

biggene Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:59 am

pyrOman wrote:

Was this in the HVW or the Trends? :?

Since the closing graphic on the article says "Hot VW's" I would imagine it was in Hot VW's pyro. 8)

pyrOman Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:30 pm

biggene wrote: Since the closing graphic on the article says "Hot VW's" I would imagine it was in Hot VW's pyro. 8)

#-o

malachai Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:50 am

John Moxon wrote: arthurnugen wrote: I miss VW Trends. It was way better than Hot VWs. Maybe Primedia will bring it back someday? I certainly think there is room for more than just one VW mag in the US.

Yes I find it surprising with the size of the US aircooled VW market that there's only one US aircooled mag. The UK has 5, Ultra VW, Volksworld, VW Camper & Commercial, VW Motoring (air and watercooled) and Volksworld Camper & Bus.

Maybe Everett should start a nice glossy quarterly bus mag...something to keep him awake at night :lol:

volksworld is the only magazine which is easy enough to find to be able to buy every month, ultra vws is a much better magazine, but fairly hard to find unless you're at a show.

If you lot like our magazines your US ones must be awful, volksworld is really quite boring, like they use a checklist to write each article.
1. owner
2. engine
3. bodywork
etc.
almost every article is written like that, and you can pick it up and turn to almost any page and find spelling/grammar mistakes, sometimes articles just end, like there's supposed to be another page or something. The pictures are ok, but also very samey.
I think Everett could definately make a decent magazine, but I doubt there's enough money in it, the vw magazines here go up in price loads more than other magazines. Probably because the internet is so much better and up to date, nobody is buying them.

Thats what I think anyway.

Kirk Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:11 am

I subscribe just to have something to read on the can. The thing I noticed about HVW is that they feature alot of Hawaii cars. Must be a pain to get someone to fly over and feature them. :lol: