TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
strelnik Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 am

Yarkle wrote: you do when the VW is broke down in the middle of nowhere and youve got nuthin to drink!

I broke down with a G-30 one ton trruck in the middle of the Arizona desert. The lug nuts had been put on by King Kong and had to call assistance to remove them.

I fixed that as soon as I got to civilization.

Fortunately it was 106, but we had shade and water, my older friend was having problems.

My other contribution: a cotton rug to use to lay under the vehicle and trap all the small parts that fall.

sam_w Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 am

I am going to get a chromoly gland nut to replace the standard one that is in there. I guess that I should also carry a torque wrench good for 360 ft lbs.

Captain Spalding Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 pm

sam_w wrote: I am going to get a chromoly gland nut to replace the standard one that is in there. I guess that I should also carry a torque wrench good for 360 ft lbs.
Sam, given your penchant for adventure, your parts and spares kit needs to be on a whole different level! :D

sam_w Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm

We will see,
I am going to the Classic in Orange county this weekend, and plan to go to VIntage meet in July.

I will also visit my cousin in BC so plan on 4,000 miles in the next moth or so.[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151660877430909&set=a.95499460908.85476.696325908&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf[/img]

strelnik Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm

sam_w wrote: I am going to get a chromoly gland nut to replace the standard one that is in there. I guess that I should also carry a torque wrench good for 360 ft lbs.

I have several 0-600 lbs-ft torque wrenches for sale, if you need one.

100.00 plus shipping.

Not Chinese junk, but CDI- Snap-On industrial quality.

let me know.

safariboy Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Captain

I posted that initial topic. Your response was great. While others goof a little. We all know that with the right supplies, we won't be calling triple A when we are 1000 miles into Baja. Thanks for your input.

Almost have my 74 on the ground running. 2 more weeks Woooo Hooo!

Metal Twister Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Old thread new tool...

Ive been looking at these for a while now and finally bought one a few weeks ago. Last week a contractor lost his battery charge out front of the shop. He had a Dodge Diesel 2500. I hooked this little guy up and it cranked it over really easy. Great tool for charging cell phones and other modern electronic tools. Oh did I mention 600 crank amps! One Bad Ass little tool. I wont go out off roading without it.

doublecanister Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 am

What about spare battery clamps or a way to fix a broken battery cable?

I've recently noticed my + side is cracked, if that came off, broke, etc,
I'd hope I had a pair of lock joint pliers or a c clamp or something to hold the connection to the battery.

Duct tape may work in a pinch, need a knife to peel the cable to get a connection or a hose clamp maybe.

T