TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Atv jack vs floor jack? FAQ Page: 1, 2  Next
vdubyah73 Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:27 am

To link to this thread
Code: [url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185636&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Atv jack vs floor jack? FAQ[/url]

I've always used a floor jack,until I got this particular Bus. I found an ATV jack at the dump in perfect working order and tried it when I put the engine back in. Type IV 2.0, dual Webers. I didn't think much of it. You can't wiggle the engine as well to get it to slide home on reinstallation. Is it just me or does anybody else prefer the precarious balancing act on a regular floor jack for installation? Maybe I just wasn't holding my tongue right! :lol:

Bill

VDubTech Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:16 am

I've always used a floor jack, so I really can't compare the two, but I've never seen the need to purchase yet another jack to do a job alreadfy easily done with a simple floor jack. Anyone who has seen the inner workings of my mess of a garage knows that I couldn't POSSIBLY fit one more piece of equipment in there.

BIGTSV Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:18 am

Used an ATV jack last night for the 1st time, worked very well for me. I like the ATV jack better than a normal jack. I would use either one!

pyrOman Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:23 am

I also recently got me an ATV jack. Though I haven't had the chance to use it just yet, I know it will be way much better to lay the engine on without the need to be balancing it on a regular floor jack's tiny round platform. :?

And at $50 out the door you just can't go wrong even if it is to serve only the one purpose! :P

vdubyah73 Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:35 am

Maybe an ATV jack would be nice for removal,No balancing, just pull and lower whilst watching for clearances. But VDub Tech's garage sound like mine. Think I'm gonna loose the ATV jack. Anybody live near Cape Cod Ma. You pick it up it's yours. Didn't cost me anything.

Bill

pyrOman Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:53 am

BTW, I also bought a tranny jack solely to swap the trannies of my Benzos. Used it the once and was just taking space. However, when I removed the leaky-ass 1835 from the Dormy I used it for the motor and though it worked great as a platform but this is a scissors type and "cranking" that mother up is quite the bitch! :x

I plan on using the tranny jack just to hold the "hanging" tranny on the Plump Truck and the ATV jack for the engine! 8)

pyrOman Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:55 am

VDubTech wrote: I've always used a floor jack, so I really can't compare the two, but I've never seen the need to purchase yet another jack to do a job alreadfy easily done with a simple floor jack. Anyone who has seen the inner workings of my mess of a garage knows that I couldn't POSSIBLY fit one more piece of equipment in there.

Obviously you are in need of a BIGGER garage. :-k

You can NEVER have "just enough tools"! :shock:

:P

nemobuscaptain Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:14 am

I think the answer is probably dependant upon what engine you have. T1 comes out easily with a small floor jack but a T4 is a handful, in part due to the weight of the engine and in part due to the nonremoveable rear apron, and is better suited for the ATV jack.

VDubTech Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 am

pyrOman wrote: VDubTech wrote: I've always used a floor jack, so I really can't compare the two, but I've never seen the need to purchase yet another jack to do a job alreadfy easily done with a simple floor jack. Anyone who has seen the inner workings of my mess of a garage knows that I couldn't POSSIBLY fit one more piece of equipment in there.

Obviously you are in need of a BIGGER garage. :-k

You can NEVER have "just enough tools"! :shock:

:P

If my garage were any bigger, it would be in my neighbor's yard....and beleive me, I have MORE than enough tools. The floor jack method has worked just fine for me thus far....even when pulling an engine in the snow, it has never failed me.

mightyart Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:52 am

how bout using one of these?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/185821914.html

pyrOman Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:01 pm

WTH??? :shock:

Anyone ever seen one in any vw tooling manual? :?

mightyart Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:07 pm

I don't know but it looks like you can drive it to where you need to pull the engine, that is a steering wheel... isn't it? :wink:

ratwell Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:19 pm

pyrOman wrote: Anyone ever seen one in any vw tooling manual?
It's not from VW AFIAK. I saw a photo of another one and whileinventive having the controls/handles so low to the ground would be a drawback if you ask me.

Might come in handy if you had to install 10 engines a day, every day.

pyrOman Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 pm

A factory installation aid? :?

MarkTime Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:20 pm

vdubyah73 wrote: I've always used a floor jack,until I got this particular Bus. I found an ATV jack at the dump in perfect working order and tried it when I put the engine back in. Type IV 2.0, dual Webers. I didn't think much of it. You can't wiggle the engine as well to get it to slide home on reinstallation. Is it just me or does anybody else prefer the precarious balancing act on a regular floor jack for installation? Maybe I just wasn't holding my tongue right! :lol:

Bill

I installed my engine with a transmission jack bought at harbor freight. It works the best, totally adjustable, stable, and easy to maneuver.

VDubTech Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:23 pm

pyrOman wrote: WTH??? :shock:

Anyone ever seen one in any vw tooling manual? :?

Yeah, I got one from the VW dealership I used to work at when they decided to clear out the tool room. I sold it on ebay after it sat in my garage for 2 years unused. The "steering wheel" is the mechanism that raises and lowers the jack. Cool tool, I talked with a guy who used to use it at the dealership when they still did air cooled work. I got several adapters with it for the different engines. I know years down the line I will curse ever selling it.....

VDubTech Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 pm

mightyart wrote: how bout using one of these?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/185821914.html

If it's near you Art, pick it up, I sold mine for a LOT more on ebay last year.

tds3pete Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:43 pm

I use a lift table purchased at the local auto supply store for $120.

The nice thing is there is lots of room to shift the engine around during installation. I also leave the engine on the table at full height for teardown and final assembly.

I means jacking the van up higher, but it is a lot easier and safer to use.[/img]

SlowLane Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:16 pm

Last time I installed my engine, my brother and I used an old skateboard to roll the engine under the van from the side (less jacking of the van that way), and then used his rigging experience to fashion a rope sling under the engine.

We lifted it in stages by levering the 2x4 that the sling is suspended from and inserting blocks of wood front and rear until the engine was at the desired height.

This was by far the easiest engine install I've ever had. I used to fiddle around with a floor jack and wood blocks underneath the heads. This time around, I was very careful to not support the engine by the heads, having recently formed the opinion that this is a bad thing to do to a boxer engine.

vdubyah73 Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:44 am

Can anybody say Rube goldberg device! :) I like the ingenuity of VW people.

Bill