TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: D19 sealing tape for front fenders
2Dokas Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:21 pm

Hello all,

I am embarking on the journey of putting together my 1970 squareback that someone else took apart and painted, so I am going to need some help.

First off, can you tell me what D19 sealing tape is and what I can use in it's place. It goes on the hinge pillar when installing the front fenders, shown in my Bentley section 9 page 6 figure 4-6

How about the impregnated foam rubber pads in the rear fender area? How critical are they? I see they help close the area up and that is where the cooling air comes from so I guess I find something to cram in there.

more questions to follow.

cheers

peter

2Dokas Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Ok, got the answer to the D19, use window tape, some sort of butyl product, will check out home depot.

how about the other foam?

cheers

peter

blankmange Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:33 pm

2Dokas wrote:
how about the other foam?

cheers

peter

the other foam - I have never found a replacement; just tried to keep the original or ran without them...

BSQUARE Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:45 pm

those seals are to keep rain and roadspray from getting inside the fenders.
the one that seals the intake air vent is PN - 361 821 333A
the one that goes around the wheelarch to the rear apron inside the fender is PN 311 821 331C

both are shown in ispwest's catalog. also check with the ddb, they might have some decent used ones.

Bobnotch Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:58 pm

For D-19 tape, I get it at my local camping supply store. It's the same stuff that they use for sealing windows.. It coses 3.99 a roll. :shock: there's enough in a roll to do at least 3 or 4 cars. I hope this helps.

Tvättbjörn Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:50 pm

Do NOT use any kind of foam tape!! It will trap the water and the rust will do a great job on the a-pillar.

BSQUARE Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:15 am

Bobnotch wrote: For D-19 tape, I get it at my local camping supply store. It's the same stuff that they use for sealing windows.. It coses 3.99 a roll. :shock: there's enough in a roll to do at least 3 or 4 cars. I hope this helps.
Bob, do you remember what the window tape is called? i found some 'duck' brand press in caulking in a 5 ribbed roll, which appears quite similar, at home depot.

is this what you used?

jaransonT3 Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:22 am

This is what he was referring to.

From here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm

1bad914 Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:58 am

Thats Butyl tape, available at most window installation places also.

BSQUARE Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:53 am

thanks for the info