TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: School me on the 1967 one year only stuff Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
rloaircool Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:56 am

RareAir wrote: codycat wrote: OH - so if my currect rings do NOT have that imprinted on them - they are not OG?

Both the inner & outer headlight rings should have the SB12 designation embossed on them. The inner rings are easier to find since they were used on multiple years following 1967. The outer ring was used during 1967 production only.
The outer ring shown above was on my former '67 convertible. Here's a pic of the inner ring on the same car while I was assembling it a few years ago.

Or you can pull them off a type 3. They used them for a few years.

codycat Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:51 pm

my MAY '67 1500 decklid DOES NOT have a 1500 emblem - yet the decklid is the correct shape as are my my bumbers - to my knowledge the decklid is OG [unless one of the 2 prior owners replaced it with an aftermarket???]

codycat Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

what is a tack strip and a chrome deco strip???

KTPhil Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

In the U.S. the '67a said "VOLKSWAGEN" like the later models. Non-U.S. vehicles had "VW1500", or VW plus whatever displacement was installed. In many non-U.S. markets you could order a '67 with a 1300 or even a 1200 engine.

codycat Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:23 pm

my '66 had 1300 on the decklid - my '67 plate in the trunk says it was made in germany but only has Volkswagen on the decklid - if it was made in germany - what makes it a US model??

KantDriveFast Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Quote: what makes it a US model??

Overrider bumpers, MPH speedo, solid red taillight lenses, Later style headlight assemblies, 5-lug wheels, drum brakes in front, etc.

KTPhil Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:48 pm

what makes it a US model??

Another answer is that it means the destination country, not where it was built.

KTPhil Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh, and many Euro models were still 6V.

My brother had a Euro '67. hated the 6V, but man, those disc brakes were fantastic in a light Bug!!

RareAir Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:35 pm

codycat wrote: what is a tack strip and a chrome deco strip???

Those pieces were used on Kabriolett models only. The tackstrip is located below the rear window. It is used to hold down the convertible top material to the body.
The Chrome deco strip is a Chrome moulding designed to highlight the edge of the convertible top. a Kabriolett usually had (3) deco strips. Above the windscreen, above the rear window & below the rear window.

codycat Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:11 pm

Overrider bumpers, MPH speedo, solid red taillight lenses, Later style headlight assemblies, 5-lug wheels, drum brakes in front, etc. OH - well my '67 has all of those - so I guess it was a US model. What was the theory [reason] behind making Euo and US models different yet both made in Germany and from the same year??

RareAir Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:17 pm

codycat wrote: What was the theory [reason] behind making Euo and US models different yet both made in Germany and from the same year??

Different countries have differing vehicle codes/laws.

67conv Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:06 am

codycat wrote: my MAY '67 1500 decklid DOES NOT have a 1500 emblem - yet the decklid is the correct shape as are my my bumbers - to my knowledge the decklid is OG [unless one of the 2 prior owners replaced it with an aftermarket???]

With regard to the VW1500 / VOLKSWAGEN emblem question, I think the VW1500 emblems were on the very early US bound 67 convertibles, probably changing to "VOLKSWAGEN" before mid year changes. My convertible is an early '67, made in Aug.'66 before the midyear changes. I've seen other early 67 convertibles w/ "VW1500" on decklid, and those having "VOLKSWAGEN" emblems were all later '67's. Not scientific or proven, just observed...........[/quote]

aircooled Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:25 am

My original 67 convertible with an Aug 66 Birth Cert and the "Volkswagen"
emblem on the back. I think Bill May mentioned some time ago that the 1500 was used on cars from Canada and Europe. There are some many different things with 67's which makes them very interesting.

67 Florida Deluxe Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:24 am

aircooled wrote: I think Bill May mentioned some time ago that the 1500 was used on cars from Canada and Europe. There are some many different things with 67's which makes them very interesting.

KTPhil did just a couple of posts up...

KTPhil wrote: In the U.S. the '67a said "VOLKSWAGEN" like the later models. Non-U.S. vehicles had "VW1500", or VW plus whatever displacement was installed. In many non-U.S. markets you could order a '67 with a 1300 or even a 1200 engine.

Seb67 Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:21 pm

Would anyone care to shed light on this '67 only VDO Tach that was mentioned earlier in this thread? I would love to see any pics of period Tachs installed in a 60's car (or '67 specific would be better). It was normally installed where the stock speaker goes right? I'm not interested in seeing 10" 12,000 RPM monster tachs rivited to the middle of the dash board either :D

Edit: Is this what you guys are talking about?

Asunder Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:40 am

The late 67 type 1 below (manufactured in June 67) has installed on it the correct OG rear bumper (sloping overriders) with back up lights, correct OG taillight lenses (Hella full red) and Volkswagen Logo on deck lid, and other chrome trimming such as window seal and tail pipes. This was standard delivery from the factory during that time of year to the U.S. Market.

Ragman Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:06 am

I didn't see anyone mention the 67 only retactable seat belts with the bar mounted on the tunnel.

bill may Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 am

could not notice seat belts. noticed door panels and seat covers tho'

Ragman Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:43 am

bill may wrote: could not notice seat belts. noticed door panels and seat covers tho'

Yes, that is a TMI kit with colors not stock for 67. I couldn't bring myself to pay a couple hundred bucks and have the shitty brown stock color.

House Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Man Bill, you are ruthless!
I would have mentioned the funky carpet before the door panels and seats...
lol