TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No bumpers Page: 1, 2  Next
och2k Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:47 pm

I got a '72 square about 3 weeks ago. I cant decide weather to take the bumpers off or not. Anyone have any pics?

Russ Wolfe Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm

I have a 69 fasty with no bumpers right now.

That is about what an early looks like without them.

wakywaco Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:01 pm

Pig nosed type IIIs look better with bumpers, leave them on :wink:

blankmange Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:41 pm

wakywaco wrote: Pig nosed type IIIs look better with bumpers, leave them on :wink:

especially early bumpers....

SquareTone Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:15 pm

They look too much like a boat with the bumpers off. A really dumb looking boat.

slamrbri Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:38 pm

SquareTone wrote: They look too much like a boat with the bumpers off. A really dumb looking boat.

Word! Leave em on.

67stang302 Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:46 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: I have a 69 fasty with no bumpers right now.

Hey Russ you want to sell it?

Im looking for a fasty to replace the sqaure I'm selling

EverettB Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:57 pm

och2k wrote: I got a '72 square about 3 weeks ago. I cant decide weather to take the bumpers off or not. Anyone have any pics?

Bumpers on. For safety. It's most likely illegal to drive without them anyway.

67stang302 Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 pm

EverettB wrote: och2k wrote: I got a '72 square about 3 weeks ago. I cant decide weather to take the bumpers off or not. Anyone have any pics?

Not illegal to have no bumpers here in oregon but at a local car show / cruise it is illegal. I went to register my 68 sqaure and they were nit picking the car finally it came down to the fact that I have no bumpers and they were sorry I can't cruise. I was soooo pissed they are trying to raise money for a charity and this is how you do it by finding a reason not to let certain cars attend.

Tram Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:09 pm

67stang302 wrote: EverettB wrote: och2k wrote: I got a '72 square about 3 weeks ago. I cant decide weather to take the bumpers off or not. Anyone have any pics?

Not illegal to have no bumpers here in oregon but at a local car show / cruise it is illegal. I went to register my 68 sqaure and they were nit picking the car finally it came down to the fact that I have no bumpers and they were sorry I can't cruise. I was soooo pissed they are trying to raise money for a charity and this is how you do it by finding a reason not to let certain cars attend.

I've found a lot of prejudice against German cars in Oregon cruises. The year after I moved to Oregon and opened my shop in Cottage Grove, I told one of the South Lane Cruisers that I was going to enter some VWs and Mercedes the following year. They were all real nice and such, but on the next year's flyer they had printed "DOMESTIC CARS ONLY" in huge red letters on the registration form- which had NOT been there the year before. I guess they didn't realise that the MG, Sunbeam, and Triumph that were entered by a couple city council members were not "domestic".
Assholes. :lol:
The Oregon hot rodders and cruisers HATE VWs. I was told later that if I had entered my Mercedes, they would have "snuck" it by. Screw 'em. Not allowing VWs is like not allowing Model T's... and the Beetle OUTSOLD the Model T in this country.

Russ Wolfe Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:35 pm

67stang302 wrote:

Nope, not right now anyway. My wife wants it as a daily driver. Then we can keep the KIA SUV as a Sunday go to Meeting car only. We are racking up too many miles on it. At the rate we are going, we will run out the 100K mile warranty in about 2.5 years.

blankmange Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:31 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: 67stang302 wrote:

Nope, not right now anyway. My wife wants it as a daily driver. Then we can keep the KIA SUV as a Sunday go to Meeting car only. We are racking up too many miles on it. At the rate we are going, we will run out the 100K mile warranty in about 2.5 years.

good - if you sold that fastback that quickly after our road trip, I was traveling to Indianola to have a discussion with you....

back on topic -- you may not have a choice on whether or not you can pull the bumper -- you should check into your local laws about you vehicle...

notchback Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:26 am

67stang302 wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: I have a 69 fasty with no bumpers right now.

Im looking for a fasty to replace the sqaure I'm selling I've got one in Idaho, quite a bit closer to you than Russ is. PM me for more info if you're really interested.

havenot001 Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:43 am

The question is. How soon can I get overrides on my bumpers?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/179871.jpg

squareonair Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 pm

i really like the pig nose with no bumpers...here is my '72 squareback

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:16 pm

squareonair wrote: i really like the pig nose with no bumpers...here is my '72 squareback

You got the exhaust done! Bitchin!

spoon Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:30 pm

blankmange Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 am

you need some early blades on that '72, och2k....

och2k Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:42 am

blankmange wrote: you need some early blades on that '72, och2k....
Blades? Am I missing somthing? Are you talking about the taillights?

blankmange Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:59 am

och2k wrote: blankmange wrote: you need some early blades on that '72, och2k....
Blades? Am I missing somthing? Are you talking about the taillights?

nope - look at my square in my gallery; early bumpers on a late... check it out...