TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 85 Westy table top help needed
r39o Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 am

I need some help. I have been trying to locate a driver table top for my 85 Westy. I need the brown little table top for behind the drivers seat. I hate to cross post, but I have had zero response to my want ad. I have called every place that advertises parts. No luck. Parts ads, no luck. We need that table.

The GoWesty ones (which I understand are crappy) do not come in brown. I hate to change both tables but would be OK with two tan tables.

Anybody have this little table top for me????? Leads?

HELP!!!!!

TIA,
Walt...

mightyart Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:32 am

Did you try Karl?

msinabottle Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:11 pm

I'd build one from scratch. You can get a router bit from Rockler and that brown or black molding to put around the edge. You'd have to figure out new hardware for the knob and tube mount if you didn't already have them, but you can get masonite or good wood, paint it, get it just the way you want it...

Mind you, I have a very good friend who's an accomplished cabinet maker. Still, you're often better off making your own one new than buying somebody else's reject.

Best!

r39o Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:59 pm

I have all the hardware to mount a table top. If I had to, I could make one. But, matching that brown top would be impossible. I know it doesn't matter, but I am picky in that regard.

Thanks Art, I'll ask Karl.

-Walt...

ohioplatt Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:53 pm

So who is Karl?

scottcollins72 Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Are you talking brown table top itself or just the trim that goes around it? Mines kind of a cream color on top and it's got brown trim running the perimeter. I'd be willing to part with mine for some $$$$ just make me an offer.

jeremysmithatshawdotca Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:31 pm

You'd be surprised to see what you can get in laminate. Find some of the distributors there of brands like Formica, or Wilsonart. Take your table in and see if they have a match (I suspect the original is Formica, but I am not absolutely positive).

Jeremy

msinabottle Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:23 pm

I have a few cracks and pops in Winston's cabinet ends, etc. If we COULD match the early creamy brown and the later dreary gray, we should find out what does and what will... Then we could order it and fix the mussed sections of the cabinets!

I came PRETTY close with the Krylon fusion beige spray paint I used on my center cabinet. Probably not close enough to suit, though.

Best!

Lbonlake Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Well been looking for parts for my 85 camper too. found PartsPlace in
Auburn Hills, Mi 1-248-373-2300. Looks like they have a bunch of new
and used part for all VW and campers. They have internet site catolog
too. Good luck.

wolfej1 Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:11 am

I got mine from Karl last year. He gave me a good price of $60 or so for the complete setup - including the knob. :D Good guy in my opinion.

Joe

r39o Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:45 am

Await a response now. Later, if no luck, I will persue making one. I hate to expend so much energy for something like this, but I could not live with a mismatched table, for some odd reason.

THANKS ALL!

riceye Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Would it be worthwhile to contact a kitchen cabinetry contractor? The pieces that are cut out for the sink installs may offer a nice selection.

Just a thought.

Prosit,
Ric

K58 Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 pm

did you look under your rear seat?
that's where I found mine, along with misc parts, AC cord, roach clips, dog biscuits and a leaking heater...just another thought